New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Here's a thought, Let's wait and see when ROL's date is announced and if AK's hours don't change, THEN we can play the up charge card.

I will admit however, it would be nice to get some new news on ROL from DPB.

I can not believe you want to wait and see what happens before complaining about everything Disney is doing. You are right on with this post.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Beautiful poster. Subtle and understated compared to poster work done for other nighttime entertainment.

After more instagram searching, I found that Attractions Magazine posted a picture from the annual passholder newsletter that gives details on the show, including how it begins and ends. I don't know if this has been posted before but here's the excerpt:

"Taking place on the Discovery River, the show employs state-of-the-art projection effects, water screens, magical floating lanterns, live performance, music and shadow puppetry. It begins with two pairs of mystical hosts making their way to the river offering the gift of light.

Lotus lanterns open up to transform into beautiful fountains. Four huge, amazing animal figures - an owl, tiger, turtle, and elephant - appear and morph as their animal spirits awaken and come to life on the water screens. The hosts, the embodiment of fire and water, return and the dramatic finish includes the animals flying out and literally painting the aurora all around you in an almost dreamlike panorama."
Yep and here is more of it, including new art
New Rivers of Light concept art shown in latest Passholder Mickey Monitor

Incomudro

It's all a matter of what you enjoy while on vacation. For my family, DAK has always been just slightly behind MK as our favorite park. A day at DAK for us has always been a full day, and one in which we feel like we are slowing down and relaxing from the typical theme park environment. I apologize in advance for any run on sentences, but there's a lot to cram in this post lol...

We always arrive at opening (or for 'extra magic hours' morning), and do practically everything. We'll hit Everest 2 or 3 times in a row, go to Dinosaur, and then straight to Kilimanjaro Safaris. After that, the rest of the day, in no particular order, has us get our Wilderness Explorers booklet (and collect badges throughout the day), do 'Lion King', 'Nemo', It's Tough to be a Bug, Primeval Whirl, Flights of Wonder, go to Rafiki's Planet Watch to relax, check out the exhibits, watch a surgery if there is one that day, and really take our time exploring the Pangani Forest and Maharajah Jungle Trek trails. We usually get a song from G-Tar Dan, always stop to watch BURUDIKA and VIVA GAIA, walk around the Tree of Life trails (when open), have lunch in the park, do some shopping, enjoy a beverage by the water in the Flame Tree Barbeque seating area, have coffee by the train tracks in Harambe Market, check out the Oasis, use our Fastpass+ to do Everest, Dinosaur and Kilimanjaro Safaris again, and finally ride Kali River Rapids (if it's warm) and ask to stay on for another go 'round, just before leaving the park. It's hard for us to do all that sometimes in 8 hours.

When the night safari, Rivers of Light and Pandora open, this won't be a full day park for us, it'll be a day and a half park. :)
My family and I does essentially what yours does.
Get there early with the extra hour, hit EE 1 - 3 times, Dinosaur, the Safari etc.
It's Tough to be a Bug..
Once the rides are taken care of, a visit to Flights of Passage is a must, and then more thorough and leisurely time can be spent on the trails.
When my boys were younger, a nice stay in The Boneyard was in order.
Last time we visited, we did the Jungle Treck too.
That was very well liked by all of us.

Attachments

• Wild Africa Trek 099.jpg
    Wild Africa Trek 099.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 75

Cesar R M

Like they did literally 2 months ago when they added Symphony in the Stars at DHS.

So glad I blocked the guy you are responding to.
plot twist.. what if the cutting hours at the other parks are to balance the new opening of AKROL at night? aka staffing movement from other parks to AK

Let's think this out. Add a night time show and extend the hours beyond what is now posted.

the extended hours will make way more sense once they open Avatar.

JohnD

When AK is closing earlier than local sunset Precisely how does one do a nighttime show in that case?

I'm sure the Disney Defenders have an answer

You're really clever, aren't you? It's not like this hasn't already been discussed here and promoted by Disney. Nighttime show = longer hours. Imagine that?

JohnD

Relatively new here but thought I'd post this. The choreographer, Ulka Mohanty, hired for Rivers of Light has recently posted a picture on Instagram of a promotional poster for the show, including our first look at a logo. Again, notice the emphasis on the lotus flower.

“Rivers of Light pays homage to traditional Asian lantern festivals and this beautiful myth about the aurora borealis,”

"Lotus lanterns open to transform into beautiful fountains. Four huge, amazing animal gures—an owl, tiger, turtle and elephant—appear and morph as their animal spirits awaken and come to life on the water screens."

Looking at the logo, I could see a Dumbo tie-in. He and his mother were Indian elephants after all. And the ears on the baby elephant cannot be seen. Which emphasized that story. He had large ears while the other elephants didn't. OTOH, the left ear on the mother elephant in this logo look more like an African elephant, so who knows?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Sure seems like it will because AK closes before dark according to the new published schedules for this summer, Only thing I can think of is RoL will be an upcharge only event now.
I'm trying to figure out now if you are just trolling this site. Statements like this are just plain ridiculous, and you know it. If you continue in this style I'll have to remove your posting ability.

Lirael

Everything about RoL looks gorgeous so far. As someone obsessedplanner, I hope they release its hours soon enough so I can schedule park days and dining around it.

Hrmmm..Looks a lot like...
dumbo+8.jpg
I think it's supposed to be just random elephants, and that gesture is just the usual way they show affection. Not that I'd mind if they slipped in refferences, but I dont think it's one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom