New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

dreamscometrue

I visit WDW every May and get the park hopper. I have to say, unfortunately AK is my least favorite park. We do the rides there in the morning, have lunch at Yak & Yeti then head over to EPCOT for the rest of the day. Now I may reconsider visiting AK in the evening. Maybe, lol.
It's all a matter of what you enjoy while on vacation. For my family, DAK has always been just slightly behind MK as our favorite park. A day at DAK for us has always been a full day, and one in which we feel like we are slowing down and relaxing from the typical theme park environment. I apologize in advance for any run on sentences, but there's a lot to cram in this post lol...

We always arrive at opening (or for 'extra magic hours' morning), and do practically everything. We'll hit Everest 2 or 3 times in a row, go to Dinosaur, and then straight to Kilimanjaro Safaris. After that, the rest of the day, in no particular order, has us get our Wilderness Explorers booklet (and collect badges throughout the day), do 'Lion King', 'Nemo', It's Tough to be a Bug, Primeval Whirl, Flights of Wonder, go to Rafiki's Planet Watch to relax, check out the exhibits, watch a surgery if there is one that day, and really take our time exploring the Pangani Forest and Maharajah Jungle Trek trails. We usually get a song from G-Tar Dan, always stop to watch BURUDIKA and VIVA GAIA, walk around the Tree of Life trails (when open), have lunch in the park, do some shopping, enjoy a beverage by the water in the Flame Tree Barbeque seating area, have coffee by the train tracks in Harambe Market, check out the Oasis, use our Fastpass+ to do Everest, Dinosaur and Kilimanjaro Safaris again, and finally ride Kali River Rapids (if it's warm) and ask to stay on for another go 'round, just before leaving the park. It's hard for us to do all that sometimes in 8 hours.

When the night safari, Rivers of Light and Pandora open, this won't be a full day park for us, it'll be a day and a half park. :)

The Hatbox Ghost

It's all a matter of what you enjoy while on vacation. For my family, DAK has always been just slightly behind MK as our favorite park. A day at DAK for us has always been a full day, and one in which we feel like we are slowing down and relaxing from the typical theme park environment. I apologize in advance for any run on sentences, but there's a lot to cram in this post lol...

We always arrive at opening (or for 'extra magic hours' morning), and do practically everything. We'll hit Everest 2 or 3 times in a row, go to Dinosaur, and then straight to Kilimanjaro Safaris. After that, the rest of the day, in no particular order, has us get our Wilderness Explorers booklet (and collect badges throughout the day), do 'Lion King', 'Nemo', It's Tough to be a Bug, Primeval Whirl, Flights of Wonder, go to Rafiki's Planet Watch to relax, check out the exhibits, watch a surgery if there is one that day, and really take our time exploring the Pangani Forest and Maharajah Jungle Trek trails. We usually get a song from G-Tar Dan, always stop to watch BURUDIKA and VIVA GAIA, walk around the Tree of Life trails (when open), have lunch in the park, do some shopping, enjoy a beverage by the water in the Flame Tree Barbeque seating area, have coffee by the train tracks in Harambe Market, check out the Oasis, use our Fastpass+ to do Everest, Dinosaur and Kilimanjaro Safaris again, and finally ride Kali River Rapids (if it's warm) and ask to stay on for another go 'round, just before leaving the park. It's hard for us to do all that sometimes in 8 hours.

When the night safari, Rivers of Light and Pandora open, this won't be a full day park for us, it'll be a day and a half park. :)

Woah, there IS a lot to do at DAK isn't there? You may have single-handedly persuaded me to spend a full day at DAK this year!

dreamscometrue

Woah, there IS a lot to do at DAK isn't there? You may have single-handedly persuaded me to spend a full day at DAK this year!
It's simply a matter of what you enjoy my friend. We love the rides, and because there aren't many right now, we do each one 2 to 4 times. We don't mind repeating them because they are fun.Beyond that, we simply enjoy the shows and experiences throughout the park. We enjoy live entertainment of all kinds, and are the type of family that does things such as Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, Tom Sawyer Island, and can spend hours at a zoo or museum. What DAK currently offers may not fill a day for everyone, but easily does for us. If you're the kind of person who doesn't mind slowing down and checking out things that aren't rides, I encourage you to spend a day as I described in the earlier post. :)

Last edited:

Brian Swan

Any chance River of Lights, being a newer night time production, was designed with the use of drones in mind? I mean, I doubt the show will open using drones, but could this be one of the first productions we see drones introduced for when the time comes?
In animated concept art linked a page or two back, there were "firefly" types of lights hovering around the TOL. The first thought I had when I watched it was "ah, that's what the light-up drones are for..."

Peter Pano

Eh, I'd rather not have Avatar extend its reach into the park outside its little corner.

I think she would be a great fit, not only because of Avatar.
GorillasInTheMist.jpg

DisneyWorld30th

I am not sure if this has been mentioned, but there is a new Adventures by Disney tour in Central Florida. It includes a behinds the scenes look at Rivers of Light. And the first tour departs June 19th. This means the show is opening by June 19th. Dont know if it will be ready for Earth Day or Memorial Day as many of us were hoping for.

Here is a link to the Adventures by Disney itinerary. Which looks pretty cool:
https://www.adventuresbydisney.com/north-america/disney-world-cape-canaveral-tour/daily-itinerary/

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I am not sure if this has been mentioned, but there is a new Adventures by Disney tour in Central Florida. It includes a behinds the scenes look at Rivers of Light. And the first tour departs June 19th. This means the show is opening by June 19th. Dont know if it will be ready for Earth Day or Memorial Day as many of us were hoping for.

https://www.adventuresbydisney.com/north-america/disney-world-cape-canaveral-tour/daily-itinerary/

Cool, but I don't think the start date of the tour has much to do with the start date of the show. Just that is pretty much will be open by June as you mentioned.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

My first thought was that a behind the scenes tour could happen before the show opens, but reading further down the itinerary..

"Be awestruck by this new, extravagant nighttime show that you view from your VIP seats. Watch the dark sky fill with a spectacular array of light, color and imagery!"

Wonder what that package costs?

DisneyWorld30th

My first thought was that a behind the scenes tour could happen before the show opens, but reading further down the itinerary..

"Be awestruck by this new, extravagant nighttime show that you view from your VIP seats. Watch the dark sky fill with a spectacular array of light, color and imagery!"

Wonder what that package costs?

The price is crazy. $5000 per person (which includes most of your food, passes and hotel).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom