Rumor New nighttime show at Epcot

The Empress Lilly

Just to clarify, a goodbye trip for me would be for the final show. I wouldn't do it for just any ride or show, but would consider it for my absolute favorites. If I know it's the last time I'm seeing something I experience it differently, but I guess that's a personal thing. In rare cases Disney also do something special for the final performance. The last MSEP at DLP, for instance, was the longest I'd ever seen. They pulled out everything they had and you could tell that the performers were also "living" it differently. The atmosphere during a final ride or performance is something special.
I will take a special trip to see Illuminations one last time.

Although I might skip the final performance. I might prefer my last time to be more intimate, less a communal event and more a personal one.

I will be devastated and heartbroken though, so that would be easier to hide in crowds of others aware of the occasion. I'll just have to find a quiet spot I guess.

Spash007

How short of an interim show are we looking at? A Holiday version, with the replacement in January, or something longer?

dreamfinder

Really if they would stop performing stuff for two decades this wouldn't be an issue

That's just it. If entertainment (or anything really) gets swapped out and regularly updated there is much less attachment. A band that makes one or two albums over a year or two doesn't do a greatest hits album or farewell tour. But WDW/Disney don't help themselves in this department much. They love to play up sentiment and attachment, from shirts and pins of attractions that are gone/leaving to pushing the "Limited Time Encore Enagement of the MSEP" at DLR. When you build your brand around Dreams and Magic and Memories (is that a DCL name as well?) it's almost expected for anything that is popular to give advance notice of closure.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
That's just it. If entertainment (or anything really) gets swapped out and regularly updated there is much less attachment. A band that makes one or two albums over a year or two doesn't do a greatest hits album or farewell tour. But WDW/Disney don't help themselves in this department much. They love to play up sentiment and attachment, from shirts and pins of attractions that are gone/leaving to pushing the "Limited Time Encore Enagement of the MSEP" at DLR. When you build your brand around Dreams and Magic and Memories (is that a DCL name as well?) it's almost expected for anything that is popular to give advance notice of closure.

It's also difficult when they knocked it out of the park with RoE. How do they follow up on something like that and make it even better? Like some dead guy once said - "You can't top pigs with pigs". As such, sadly, I'm expecting a let-down with whatever replaces RoE. And projections. And IP. Because those both are staples for TDO (and TWDC as a whole) now (regardless of whether or not they are appropriately used, in the case of projections).

mikejs78

Premium Member
There's a significant number of people who have issues with RoE. It's not bad, but there are several elements that aren't that great. So, there are those who welcome an update... if it fixes those things and doesn't introduce new problems.
I'm fine with the idea of a new show, I agree with a lot of the problems that others have identified regarding RoE (even though I love the show). However, the one thing I think RoE got exactly right was tone. The epic scope of RoE telling the story of human history fit perfectly with the idea of Epcot. Some have said the new show would be lighter in tone, and will probably include IP. That to me is a loss for the park. If they created a new show of similar scope and tone to RoE, with new tech (and I'd even be OK with careful use of IP), I'd be happy. But sadly I don't think this is the direction they are going.

trainplane3

I'm fine with the idea of a new show, I agree with a lot of the problems that others have identified regarding RoE (even though I love the show). However, the one thing I think RoE got exactly right was tone. The epic scope of RoE telling the story of human history fit perfectly with the idea of Epcot. Some have said the new show would be lighter in tone, and will probably include IP. That to me is a loss for the park. If they created a new show of similar scope and tone to RoE, with new tech (and I'd even be OK with careful use of IP), I'd be happy. But sadly I don't think this is the direction they are going.
Agreed. If there's anything to fix with RoE, it's the middle portion. If you aren't up against the lagoon, you'll miss out on the globe doing its thing and the fountains. If there could be stuff closer or bigger, that'd probably fix a lot of the issues people have with it.

There was a very nice British couple next to me last year, super tall guy and short girl. When it got to the middle section, the girlfriend asked "what's going on?" to which the guy answered, "you aren't missing much, just some water and a video". Kinda sums it up.
Yes. Last I heard (belive me if you want) was the new show is now 2020.
Without getting into specifics, will this "temporary" show bring some new tech with it? Something more then "just" fireworks and lasers?

rle4lunch

RoE went from oohh ahhh inspiring (25 years ago) , to ehh ohh meh (current), this is played...
Agreed. If there's anything to fix with RoE, it's the middle portion. If you aren't up against the lagoon, you'll miss out on the globe doing its thing and the fountains. If there could be stuff closer or bigger, that'd probably fix a lot of the issues people have with it.

There was a very nice British couple next to me last year, super tall guy and short girl. When it got to the middle section, the girlfriend asked "what's going on?" to which the guy answered, "you aren't missing much, just some water and a video". Kinda sums it up.

Without getting into specifics, will this "temporary" show bring some new tech with it? Something more then "just" fireworks and lasers?

Yup... This, x1000.

I really wish that RoL would've had the payoff it promised in the early talk about it. When we saw it I kept waiting for the 'WOW' to happen, never did. It was quite the letdown, considering new nighttime shows usually really impressive me the first few viewings. I didn't get that at all with RoL, and I hadn't gotten that from ROE in 30 years.

Last edited:

rle4lunch

Anyone who thinks some boring mediocre fireworks being shot off to some forgetable classical music is better than Reflections of Earth has the most basic taste in the world. Wow. Literally how can you think something 25 years ago is better than the inspiring and majestic Reflections of Earth. My brain cannot even comprehend. I'm actually speechless, if that's possible. And I ALWAYS have something to say lol

really? lol... Did you ever watch the show when it was new in the 80's and revamped in the 90's?

and... are you really that aghast at my opinion, or are you just playing up the dramatics?

rle4lunch

I wasn't even alive in the 80s, so I sadly didn't get the chance to see it. But every video I've seen of the 90s version bored me to tears. Maybe you to be there? So really I don't even know if I have a right to pass judgement

granted, when I saw it new in the 80's I was around 8-10 years old, then once more in the 90's. When I started going back to WDW in the 2000's and realized it was the same basic show from a generation ago, well, the luster wore off completely.

ROE isn't the MSELP, and it sure as heck doesn't have the lasting effect that it 'thinks' it has. Now, whenever we visit Epcot, we watch the first 5 minutes and then start heading for the monorail. So done with the current/former/original rendition of this show...

mikejs78

Premium Member
I didn't get that at all with RoL, and I hadn't gotten that from ROE in 30 years.
You got to see RoE 11 years before it debuted? I didn't even know they had been working on it for so long! Wow, did a bus driver hook you up?

On a serious note, Illuminations debuted 30 years ago. Illuminations: Reflections of Earth (a completely different show) debuted in 1999. In between were two versions of Illuminations 25 (also a different show). The new show will also likely be called Illuminations with a subtitle (I think it's been said here it may be Illumimatioms: Windows of the World. All different shows that just share a name.

Last edited:

rle4lunch

You got to see RoE 11 years before it debuted? I didn't even know they had been working on it for so long! Wow, did a bus driver hook you up?

Back when it was illuminations. 75% same show, just repurposed to ROE with some new lighting and different score and narration. Same message tho.

Biff215

granted, when I saw it new in the 80's I was around 8-10 years old, then once more in the 90's. When I started going back to WDW in the 2000's and realized it was the same basic show from a generation ago, well, the luster wore off completely.

ROE isn't the MSELP, and it sure as heck doesn't have the lasting effect that it 'thinks' it has. Now, whenever we visit Epcot, we watch the first 5 minutes and then start heading for the monorail. So done with the current/former/original rendition of this show...
You’re certainly entitled to your opinion, but RoE for me is the best nighttime show I’ve ever seen in WDW over the 30+ years I’ve been visiting. Could it use an update (or replacement) now after almost 20 years? Sure. But there is real concern whether or not it’s successor will be anywhere near as good. Don’t think I’m alone in thinking that.

I first saw it in February 2000 and still see it at least twice every annual trip. Sure the middle is slower with less pyro, but it’s a critical part of the story and builds up excitement as we approach the finale. RoE just has heart that I think many newer shows lack.

I just hope this “temporary” show is worth losing RoE. Guess we’ll see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom