New NextGen RFID main entrance turnstiles to go live this week

rct247

Having worked turnstiles in the past, these look like an operational nightmare. How do you prevent people from entering? How do you close these when you aren't using them or the park is closed? I am not a fan of these at all. These also look like there will be a learning curve for guests.

So is this a test or is this going live permanently?

FutureWorld1982

How do you close these when you aren't using them or the park is closed

That is a really great question! I never thought about that. I wonder what they will do in that regard (maybe install gates that can be opened an closed when the entrance is not in operation?)

wedenterprises

I don't understand how these will save time when you still have to lay your finger down? Easier for wheelchairs and strollers, no doubt, but I'm not sure how they save time. There's not really room for an entire family to crowd around one (which will happen).

Edit: just read further back and someone pointed out what makes this faster is the loss of user error, having to re-enter the card, etc. makes sense.

Rob562

Having worked turnstiles in the past, these look like an operational nightmare. How do you prevent people from entering? How do you close these when you aren't using them or the park is closed? I am not a fan of these at all. These also look like there will be a learning curve for guests.

So is this a test or is this going live permanently?

Closing them off is something that came to mind when I saw the pics. All of the parks have some way of physically barring entrance to the park entirely, if necessary. (Most have gates right at the turnstiles, though the MK's are the gates that close off the train station tunnels) Neither of these setups appear to have barriers that can close.

-Rob

articos

Closing them off is something that came to mind when I saw the pics. All of the parks have some way of physically barring entrance to the park entirely, if necessary. (Most have gates right at the turnstiles, though the MK's are the gates that close off the train station tunnels) Neither of these setups appear to have barriers that can close.

-Rob
The NG entrances aren't done. There will be or already is a way to gate off the entries in each park, even if not visible right now.

I also think this is going to be a bit of an operational nightmare, and I think we'll see physical turnstiles going back in within six months to year or so, even if only to control crowd flow through the openings. Besides the operations aspect, there should be a physical turnstile, imo. Part of the magic of entering another world is going through a physical gateway - there's an emotional component that's not there without anything to pass through. In this case, the tech got ahead of the emotion when planning and no one pointed it out.

articos

Those have been there for years.

Here's a pic of the same spot in 2008.
IMG_4347_0.preview.jpg

2012:
IMG_3398.JPG
If I remember correctly, these canopies were additions. They were not originally meant to be guest entries, or covered.

Used the RFID entrance at Epcot on Friday. Took longer, I felt, but since there was no line it wasn't too bad. Still, you have to hold your card up AND press your finger to the biometric, then hope it turns green. I guess the wrist band will solve the card holding issue, though.

Tom

Beta Return
Used the RFID entrance at Epcot on Friday. Took longer, I felt, but since there was no line it wasn't too bad. Still, you have to hold your card up AND press your finger to the biometric, then hope it turns green. I guess the wrist band will solve the card holding issue, though.

So you don't tap your card to register the ticket, then bio scan? You have to hold the ticket to the orb with your left hand while scanning your right index finger? Using both hands at once? If so, that is a flaw in my opinion. You should just tap the ticket, scan finger, enter...in that order.

So you don't tap your card to register the ticket, then bio scan? You have to hold the ticket to the orb with your left hand while scanning your right index finger? Using both hands at once? If so, that is a flaw in my opinion. You should just tap the ticket, scan finger, enter...in that order.

Honestly, we were late for a dining reservation so I wasn't paying THAT much attention but I know I had to hold my key card right against the Micky Head logo and scan my finger at the same time. However, my husband said he had to hold his card to the Mickey Head logo, then once it turned green, he did the finger scan.:confused:

There were like 6 CMs standing there helping people and the girl in front of me had hers turn blue instead of green and she had to talk to another CM who had a book and was writing things down.

Tom

Beta Return
Honestly, we were late for a dining reservation so I wasn't paying THAT much attention but I know I had to hold my key card right against the Micky Head logo and scan my finger at the same time. However, my husband said he had to hold his card to the Mickey Head logo, then once it turned green, he did the finger scan.:confused:

There were like 6 CMs standing there helping people and the girl in front of me had hers turn blue instead of green and she had to talk to another CM who had a book and was writing things down.

Your husband's situation sounds more like how it should work. Hopefully your hurried nature just caused you to miss the details.

From what I understand, the Blue light means the ticket or bio-match is bad. Either way, the blue light is Fail while green is Pass.

RSoxNo1

I don't understand why they don't actually have the turnstiles themselves though. The RFID readers will be cleaner and quicker but I would think they'd want something in place to stop people from going in without scanning.

RAXIP

I think they did a nice job blending it in. It looks very clean and tidy.

And apparently they aren't using those overhead camera/counter devices like they did in the mock ups.

I'd guess those will be coming later. The camera/counter was being used for guests exiting and this area is currently only being used as an entrance.

I don't understand why they don't actually have the turnstiles themselves though. The RFID readers will be cleaner and quicker but I would think they'd want something in place to stop people from going in without scanning.
From Disney:
These enhancements allow for easier Guest flow through our main entrances – parties no longer will need to break up to push a wheelchair or stroller through a gate. They can all enter together after interacting with the main entrance touch points.

They might have been better off with retractable entry gates, which are stroller and wheelchair friendly, but provide a physical barrier.
Metro-gates.jpg

RSoxNo1

I'd guess those will be coming later. The camera/counter was being used for guests exiting and this area is currently only being used as an entrance.

From Disney:
These enhancements allow for easier Guest flow through our main entrances – parties no longer will need to break up to push a wheelchair or stroller through a gate. They can all enter together after interacting with the main entrance touch points.

They might have been better off with retractable entry gates, which are stroller and wheelchair friendly, but provide a physical barrier.
Metro-gates.jpg
Yes, these work at public transit stations and at my office.

Tom

Beta Return

It's going to take a lot more CMs at the entrance, as near as I can tell.

Tip Top Club

You only have to tap it. Once the white light starts spinning you can lay off the reader and focus on your biometrics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom