New NextGen RFID main entrance turnstiles to go live this week

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Pardon my ignorance, but the latest news post says it will work for resort key cards but not for passholders. What about Magic Your Way tickets without a resort card (staying offsite)? If my understanding is correct, eventually they will be converting Magic Your Way paper tickets to RFID wristbands, but not yet... right?
Right now the tickets that are on a new KTTW card are the only ones that will work. All other ticket media (AP's, paper tickets, old tickets on a KTTW card, etc) must go through the regular turnstiles.

G00fyDad

Shouldn't they have some kind of security standing by those roped gates at Epcot? Somehow it looks too easy to just bypass it when it's not being looked over...:eek:

I'd bet anything that before long their mistake will be pointed out to them and they will install a better barrier than nylon rope. Maybe a roll down gate that stays hidden in the roofing until they need to close that spot?

COProgressFan

I'd bet anything that before long their mistake will be pointed out to them and they will install a better barrier than nylon rope. Maybe a roll down gate that stays hidden in the roofing until they need to close that spot?

They need someone to point that out to them? Seriously? Without a roll-down gate to close a park, I can envision the fanboys and/or nutjobs trying to sneak in overnight as well.

Slightly off topic, but in terms of security and people getting in without tickets (as may be more likely without turnstyles), as it currently stands it is actually not that difficult to get around the security checks at Epcot and even get in possibly without a ticket.

I'm sure security is supposed to be watching, but a nylon rope doesn't seem to cut it.

G00fyDad

They need someone to point that out to them? Seriously? Without a roll-down gate to close a park, I can envision the fanboys and/or nutjobs trying to sneak in overnight as well.

Slightly off topic, but in terms of security and people getting in without tickets (as may be more likely without turnstyles), as it currently stands it is actually not that difficult to get around the security checks at Epcot and even get in possibly without a ticket.

I'm sure security is supposed to be watching, but a nylon rope doesn't seem to cut it.

Judging by their past track record, you need to ask that question? o_O

AndyS2992

What exactly is stopping people without tickets just walking straight through these while CMs are distracted? Likewise with the roped off ones with no one attending them, what is stopping people from just hopping right over them when no one is looking?

I would expect security cameras to be there but even these aren't going to be monitored closely 24/7.

Yankee Mouse

If you really wanted to you could hop a turnstyle just about as easily as you could step over a nylon rope. I don't really see that being an issue that wasn't there before.

DisneyWorld30th

I haven't read through all of the posts but I have a question. With the gates now wide open, what is to prevent someone from entering the park after hours. I know WDW is a 24 hour operation and there is always things going on at night (like little elves). But what is stopping someone from getting in after hours. I am assuming they are going to build a gate at some point. But for now, its all wide open.

Tom

Beta Return
I haven't read through all of the posts but I have a question. With the gates now wide open, what is to prevent someone from entering the park after hours. I know WDW is a 24 hour operation and there is always things going on at night (like little elves). But what is stopping someone from getting in after hours. I am assuming they are going to build a gate at some point. But for now, its all wide open.

Disney has an eye on the front gates more than it seems. Plus, anyone not in a costume or wearing an ID will quickly get noticed. It will be no different than the turnstiles, which were merely a passive restraint anyway.

Besides , MK has gates in the entry tunnels. DHS has them at the entry canopies. I dont know where they are at AK or EC, but they can gate off all the parks.

Tom

Beta Return

Disney has an eye on the front gates more than it seems. Plus, anyone not in a costume or wearing an ID will quickly get noticed. It will be no different than the turnstiles, which were merely a passive restraint anyway.

Besides , MK has gates in the entry tunnels. DHS has them at the entry canopies. I dont know where they are at AK or EC, but they can gate off all the parks.

JungleTrekFan

Epcot has phisical metal gates in front of their turnstiles, which i was completely surprised they removed when they put the new RFID turnstiles in, would of worked perfectly.

And I'm sure anyone who has done some exploring can tell you its not difficult to go around the turnstiles and get into the park, without jumping over anything or being stopped.

flynnibus

Premium Member

The ticket check point does not have to be the same point where you secure the perimeter...

There can be a gated point elsewhere besides the ticket reader station...

Rob562

I'm sure that new physical barriers are on their way, the ropes can only be temporary.

As mentioned, they don't have to worry about it at the MK since the park's physical gates are at the tunnel entrances.
At AK they have roll-down doors that close off the turnstiles. They probably have to re-configure them for the new setup.
At Studios and Epcot I'll bet they'll have new versions of the existing gates.

-Rob

WeekendGM

Hollywood Studios is now down to less then a quarter of their turnstiles. With only the last six to eight close to Sid's still open.

RAXIP

The Touch Points at Epcot and Hollywood Studios are no longer plain silver.

The Epcot ones match the other Main Entrace area signage, etc.
image.jpg

The Studios ones have some extra detail elements at the base.
image.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom