New NextGen RFID main entrance turnstiles to go live this week

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So are resorts no longer allowed to sell APs? Or do they now have a printer with the standard ticket stock? Thought I had seen people reporting still being able to buy APs at the resort, and that the guests were doing so specifically for KTTW stock instead of tyvek. (It just happened to be more convenient for us)
The resorts no longer sell APs.

Zac Skellington

My family was one of those selected to participate in EPCOT testing last year. Even though we are park vets and have no issues with inserting our tickets into the reader, the RFID version is way more efficient. I could certainly see fewer RFID readers doing the work of more old style card readers. Also, because there are no moving parts, maintainence costs should be greatly reduced with the RFID readers.

I still see the bio scanners as being the weak link. On our most recent trip my 10 year old had to scan his finger because he is now considered an adult to Disney. His fingers are too small to get good coverage of the scanners, and this became an issue EVERY day. "Move your finger over a little". "Try using two fingers." "Try using your thumb." My son can figure out how to get from Wilderness Lodge to Kona Cafe, for a 7am breakfast reservation, but he can't make his fingers grow... I hope the new biometric scanners are also upgraded.

pjammer

Got the part about Resort only... we STAY on site, at DVC resorts. They ISSUE Key to the World cards.
But we have APs.

My bet - the Key to the World card issuing resort will be unable to simply mark the Key to the World card with data saying "Current AP". This would be the exact, trivial inter-system communication task that I would expect the WDW computer systems to be incapable of :).
You are correct. The current systems can not talk to each like that yet. However you will still be able to use the old turnstiles with you current AP and also participate in the touch to pay with your KTTW

Burnt Toast

Got the part about Resort only... we STAY on site, at DVC resorts. They ISSUE Key to the World cards.
But we have APs.

My bet - the Key to the World card issuing resort will be unable to simply mark the Key to the World card with data saying "Current AP". This would be the exact, trivial inter-system communication task that I would expect the WDW computer systems to be incapable of :).

What people also don't realize is that when you are rolling out a major project like this, you have to pick and choose what you can and should not do in your initial rollouts. You don't just launch everything at once. APs are currently not included, no need to be offended. :D

SirLink

actually... they want their free refills they've been getting since like 1955

As a friend once said: "It is nice to want things" - but they aren't protesting vehemently about Starbucks, which one could say Disneyland fans are more level headed ... than some podcast personalities out in the Disney fan community...

Burnt Toast

So are resorts no longer allowed to sell APs? Or do they now have a printer with the standard ticket stock? Thought I had seen people reporting still being able to buy APs at the resort, and that the guests were doing so specifically for KTTW stock instead of tyvek. (It just happened to be more convenient for us)

They no longer are allowed to redeem (through Will Call) or sell APs. A lot of it had to do with demographics not porting over the correct way. I haven't heard anything since then but we are still under the "no APs!" policy.

Captain Hank

They no longer are allowed to redeem (through Will Call) or sell APs. A lot of it had to do with demographics not porting over the correct way. I haven't heard anything since then but we are still under the "no APs!" policy.
Yup. Lost AP's issued on Keys to the World are basically impossible to find in ATS.

Figment1986

As a friend once said: "It is nice to want things" - but they aren't protesting vehemently about Starbucks, which one could say Disneyland fans are more level headed ... than some podcast personalities out in the Disney fan community...

facebook fan page.... actual newspaper coverage.... nope, not being overly vocal at all. pretty good compared to some others we hear about over here.

RSoxNo1

Indeed. Disney park "part 2's" are as rare as a working Teri.
terihatcher.jpg

So you're saying the Yeti is real and spectacular?

jmuboy

Who approved that hideous structure at the DHS entrance test site??? Hope it is a temporary structure. It matches nothing and looks like a six flags park.

RAXIP

Who approved that hideous structure at the DHS entrance test site??? Hope it is a temporary structure. It matches nothing and looks like a six flags park.
Those have been there for years.

Here's a pic of the same spot in 2008.
IMG_4347_0.preview.jpg

2012:
IMG_3398.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom