New MuppetVision Posters up in Extended Que

EpcotServo

I think this says more about the current state of movie posters than the creativity of the Disney people who came up with these. "Back in the day" a movie one-sheet had far more going on - several images, a bunch of text describing the film, and the main film credits. Nowadays, a one-sheet will just have one main image, the movie's title (most of the time), a tag-line (some of the time) and of, course, the film's rating. Thus not a whole lot to work with if you are trying to parody a specific movie poster. That PoTC one for instance is pretty much a dead ringer of the real Johnny Depp one. There really is no way to work in any extra jokes and still have it look like the real poster.

The subtitle of "At Wit's End" made me smile though.

I'm just happy Disney is finally doing stuff with the Muppets. Hell, they even worked Gonzo and Animal into Dancing with the Stars last week. (my girlfriend makes me watch that -- really :zipit:)

They still lack the Credit Lines which were on most of the posters.
:shrug:

Chrononymous

I'm just happy that the muppets are getting more attention from their parent company as well. It's about time!

The new posters aren't as clever as the old ones, but they still make me smile.

I love the show the way it is, and I'm glad it's getting a digital refurb.
It's my absolute favorite thing in DHS and the best 3D movie in all of WDW (imo)

I don't really want them to change anytning, but I wouldn't mind an updated pre-show (maybe with Pepe in it somewhere)
And I really miss the countdown clock. One of my favorite pre-show gags.

hwdelien

I'm just happy Disney is finally doing stuff with the Muppets. Hell, they even worked Gonzo and Animal into Dancing with the Stars last week. (my girlfriend makes me watch that -- really :zipit:)

If you were watching, you should have noticed that the stars danced to the Muppet show theme song and wore a green tux.

For the record, my wife does not make me watch it. It's got sports stars and beautiful women. works for me.

panther726

I'm just happy that the muppets are getting more attention from their parent company as well. It's about time!

The new posters aren't as clever as the old ones, but they still make me smile.

I love the show the way it is, and I'm glad it's getting a digital refurb.
It's my absolute favorite thing in DHS and the best 3D movie in all of WDW (imo)

I don't really want them to change anytning, but I wouldn't mind an updated pre-show (maybe with Pepe in it somewhere)
And I really miss the countdown clock. One of my favorite pre-show gags.
I'm pretty sure that is a fact!:ROFLOL:

EPCOT Explorer

Yea these were shown at D23. Expect an expanded Muppet presence at MGM and a refreshed Muppetvision soon.
Good news. :D It's about time.
Terrible. As one intimately familar with my favorite extended queue, those aren't even 1/100ths the quality of the originals. Can anyone confirm which ones are still there?

Seriously, went from having a billion jokes to like one per poster. Plus if it kills the "Another ____ from Muppet Labs" gag, I'll be even more upset.

Few of the Originals:

picture.php

"Filmed in 3-D: The Apartment, not the Effect."

picture.php

"Another blatant rip-off from Muppet Labs."

picture.php

"Filmed in Wetorama: So real, your fingers will get all pruney"

So many jokes you can barely read all of them in one photograph...

And don't even get me started on including Wild Hogs, a film so mind crushingly awful that even parodying it is in poor taste.

:brick:

Servo, I know you are a die hard fan and all, and I am too, but seriously? They made them current. That's a good thing.

cdunbar

Good news. :D It's about time.

Servo, I know you are a die hard fan and all, and I am too, but seriously? They made them current. That's a good thing.
It doesn't surprise me that Travis is against changing those posters, I love you Travis :kiss:, but you are kinda stuck in your ways...:rolleyes:

Victor

I agree with Servo, the current posters are just lazy when compared to the other ones. Of course, they are based on lazy films, but they could have still put more thought into them.

ann0d

I love them! :ROFLOL:

I showed my ten year old and this got him going, he is up there drawing new posters.
A Muppet story (A toy story)
Gumbo is my favorite Gonzo as Dumbo.

Thanks got him thinking! lol

_Scar

I love them! :ROFLOL:

I showed my ten year old and this got him going, he is up there drawing new posters.
A Muppet story (A toy story)
Gumbo is my favorite Gonzo as Dumbo.

Thanks got him thinking! lol

I love your ten year old!

EpcotServo

First of all: Have you ever even walked the entire queue?

Second of all: They made them NEGATIVE CURRENT. It's been TWENTY YEARS and all of the films are EASILY RECOGNIZABLE. Casablanca, Die Hard, Star Wars, Frankenstein, The Poseidon Adventure, Cleopatra. And the best part was that even if you didn't know the film, they were RICH IN COMEDIC CONTENT, and built the setting of Muppet Labs and Muppetvision.

Are you telling me that "Hammah Montana: Best of Both Worlds Tour in Disney Digital 3-D" will MAKE ANY SENSE let alone BE FUNNY IN TWENTY YEARS!?!?!? It's not even funny NOW, let alone when she's and her fans are forty and "Disney Digital 3-D" is long gone.

(And don't even get me started on how they left that on there instead of maybe having it be in something developed by, I don't know, THE FILM PROCESSES THAT MUPPET LABS ARE DOING. It's only WHAT THE ATTRACTION IS ABOUT.)

These new posters are the ultimate fail, and I've defended Disney on everything in the last few years from SGE to TTA, but these are just a cop-out for one of the best shows WDI has put together.

I guess it can't be helped, but it's an outrage to let fully photographed and realized Jim Henson-age gags and jokes for a ten minute photoshop job of a poster from the Suicide-Inducing-Wild Hogs.

Articles of Failocracy

A: Failure to be wonderfully cheesy Muppet Puns = FAIL

B: Failure to actually have at least one witty joke = FAIL

C: Failure to have anything to do with MuppetVison = FAIL

D: Failure to be well photographed = FAIL

E: Failure to be rich in content = FAIL

F: Failure to be play on Muppets' comedic strength = FAIL

The pirates one is the only one remotely close to be a competent choice, and is still dry of all the better things they could have done with it.

They have to eventually update the posters into the 21st century, don't they?:shrug:

These things are hilarious!!!

Funny, every person I took back there couldn't stop laughing, all in the 21st century.

No, I kid, I'm sure in twenty years I'll find "High School Mayhem" *Silence for the jokes that aren't written on that*

*Let's the image sink in*

*Gets the Joke*

*Moves on*

Hilarious too.

:dazzle:

NewfieFan

Some of you just like to jump to the same canned negative responses.

You clearly don't get it.

These aren't "commercials" to promote Disney movies, dreamed up by marketing.

These posters are a way to make the EXTREMELY dated Muppets characters feel fresh and modern.

Some characters (like Mickey) are timeless.

Others, like Mr. Magoo, The Banana Splits, and HR Puffinstuff are dated.

Due to their sporatic exposure over the years, most people associate the Muppets with the 70's--- an image Disney needs to break for the characters to become relevant again.

For Ms Piggy to be able to spoof Hannah Montana means she's not stuck in the 70s. Same with the other posters.

And unlike other characters that live in their own "worlds", the Muppets have always lived in the present, contemporary world (hence the guest stars that always appear with them).

This is simply the Muppets doing what they've always done---spoofing the pop culture of their era.

To try to read anything beyond that shows you are just TRYING to be negative.

Just had to quote this post! I have to agree... and why all the negativity!?!

And why do people find it so crazy when Disney does market it's own stuff!?! Well now, there's a crazy idea... a company marketing it's own material... what's this world coming too!?!

I think the posters are funny, modern, and creative! I showed them to my husband and he laughed out loud at a couple of them.

_Scar

Are you telling me that "Hammah Montana: Best of Both Worlds Tour in Disney Digital 3-D" will MAKE ANY SENSE let alone BE FUNNY IN TWENTY YEARS!?!?!? It's not even funny NOW, let alone when she's and her fans are forty and "Disney Digital 3-D" is long gone.

Well, when the teenagers of today look at this poster 20 years from now I'm sure they will know who and what Hannah Montanna is. Mickey is a senior citizen, but does that mean he loses fans with age? Not at all. He gets reinvented and gains more and new fans! He's modern.

EPCOT Explorer

First of all: Have you ever even walked the entire queue?

Second of all: They made them NEGATIVE CURRENT. It's been TWENTY YEARS and all of the films are EASILY RECOGNIZABLE. Casablanca, Die Hard, Star Wars, Frankenstein, The Poseidon Adventure, Cleopatra. And the best part was that even if you didn't know the film, they were RICH IN COMEDIC CONTENT, and built the setting of Muppet Labs and Muppetvision.

(And don't even get me started on how they left that on there instead of maybe having it be in something developed by, I don't know, THE FILM PROCESSES THAT MUPPET LABS ARE DOING. It's only WHAT THE ATTRACTION IS ABOUT.)

These new posters are the ultimate fail, and I've defended Disney on everything in the last few years from SGE to TTA, but these are just a cop-out for one of the best shows WDI has put together.

I guess it can't be helped, but it's an outrage to let fully photographed and realized Jim Henson-age gags and jokes for a ten minute photoshop job of a poster from the Suicide-Inducing-Wild Hogs.

Articles of Failocracy

A: Failure to be wonderfully cheesy Muppet Puns = FAIL

B: Failure to actually have at least one witty joke = FAIL

C: Failure to have anything to do with MuppetVison = FAIL

D: Failure to be well photographed = FAIL

E: Failure to be rich in content = FAIL

F: Failure to be play on Muppets' comedic strength = FAIL

The pirates one is the only one remotely close to be a competent choice, and is still dry of all the better things they could have done with it.

Funny, every person I took back there couldn't stop laughing, all in the 21st century.

No, I kid, I'm sure in twenty years I'll find "High School Mayhem" *Silence for the jokes that aren't written on that*

*Let's the image sink in*

*Gets the Joke*

*Moves on*

Hilarious too.

:dazzle:
Yes, I have waled the whole queue. Found the key and everything. I'm not as Studios stupid as you would like to think.:wave:

And Servo....Did it ever occur to you, that they would change the posters periodically, so as to keep the current? That makes your whole 20 years argument a moot point.

In 20 years, if they are still there, be my guest and fume. :lol: Now, it's a bit early to say.
Yeah, I forgot to put the Epcot railing into that list...:lookaroun
Yeah, but that's a GOOD thing...:lookaroun:lol:

urbanvegan

Why is everyone so worried about what people will or will not recognize in 20 years? They were unveiled about 4 days ago. And with the new life that it appears is being pumped into the Muppets brand, it seems that they want them to be timely and of-the-moment as is the Muppets modus operandi.

Besides, we live in a much more accelerated society compared to 1990. The "half-life" of our pop cultural references is drastically shortened. It's just how we work now - nothing lasts that long in our public consciousness anymore. It's always going to be hitting a moving target. They are relevant now, and that is all that matters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom