Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

correcaminos

Maybe they thought they had it in reverse/forward to exit and it was actually set the other way. If so they’re lucky the scooter didn’t follow the door.

I still have a hard time seeing how it could cause a whole door to come off. I've had family use one and even hit by one when it was faulty. Enough to hurt me and knock me off my feet, but shouldn't be enough to cause a door to fall. Could be wrong but still... not much faith in that.

peter11435

I still have a hard time seeing how it could cause a whole door to come off. I've had family use one and even hit by one when it was faulty. Enough to hurt me and knock me off my feet, but shouldn't be enough to cause a door to fall. Could be wrong but still... not much faith in that.
Since this was on the monorail it would not have been a Disney rental. Some people have some very large/powerful personal ECV’s.

Still shouldn’t be enough to do that.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Maybe they thought they had it in reverse/forward to exit and it was actually set the other way. If so they’re lucky the scooter didn’t follow the door.

An unloaded ECV weighs on average 350lbs. Add the user of the ECV who could also weigh 350lbs (most ecvs have a max weight rating of 450lbs. Have that mass (which could potentially weigh up to 800lbs)going at any speed into any object out of control and it will cause damage. Old monorail, a new monorail, or anything in its path will be damaged.

I think it is the typical social media morons sensationalizing and embellishing an event just to get retweets or whatever.

Incomudro

An unloaded ECV weighs on average 350lbs. Add the user of the ECV who could also weigh 350lbs (most ecvs have a max weight rating of 450lbs. Have that mass (which could potentially weigh up to 800lbs)going at any speed into any object out of control and it will cause damage. Old monorail, a new monorail, or anything in its path will be damaged.

I think it is the typical social media morons sensationalizing and embellishing an event just to get retweets or whatever.

Damage is one thing.
A door completely knocked off is another.

peter11435

This is such bad publicity, between this and the door opening while in motion earlier this year. I feel like Disney has been waiting until D23 2019 to announce new monorails, but they really need to just announce them now, even if they are a year or two away from being ready, just for good publicity's sake.
This news likely won’t reach many.

Voxel

President of Progress City
This is such bad publicity, between this and the door opening while in motion earlier this year. I feel like Disney has been waiting until D23 2019 to announce new monorails, but they really need to just announce them now, even if they are a year or two away from being ready, just for good publicity's sake.
Something tells me they are further out then that if we are going with Bombardier.. They have a multiple year delay for a few jobs and they recently announced that they were cutting thousands of jobs.

correcaminos

Since this was on the monorail it would not have been a Disney rental. Some people have some very large/powerful personal ECV’s.

Still shouldn’t be enough to do that.

I have a family member who used one before being confined to a chair all the time. We've rented off site so we didn't have to travel with hers and we've had all types. I'm actually not familiar with the Disney ones as much as that was used once in my party so I cannot compare.

Like you said, still shouldn't be enough to do it.

I think you are waaaaaaaay over estimating weights of the average ECV user. Also most ECVs I've seen are in the low 200 pound range. So I would guess closer to 400-500 total maybe. Not 800 pound which is almost insulting to a user to claim they could be.

Yes damage, but door off? Sorry not buying it. Not sensationalizing it either.

s8film40

I’ve seen several doors fall off over the years without much publicity. Typically if the door is pushed the metal arms will bend before the door falls off. So for the door to fall off I believe there would need to be an issue with either the fiberglass door (cracked or something) or the bolts or plate where it’s attached. Perhaps rusted out or something.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Something tells me they are further out then that if we are going with Bombardier.. They have a multiple year delay for a few jobs and they recently announced that they were cutting thousands of jobs.

Bombardier Transit has a multi-billion dollar backlog for large mass transit agencies such as the NYC MTA. They are not going to stop everything and build 12 monorails for Disney.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I think you are waaaaaaaay over estimating weights of the average ECV user. Also most ECVs I've seen are in the low 200 pound range. So I would guess closer to 400-500 total maybe. Not 800 pound which is almost insulting to a user to claim they could be.

Yes damage, but door off? Sorry not buying it. Not sensationalizing it either.

The ECV unloaded weighs 350lbs. Let's take your low end estimate that the person weighs 200lbs, that's still 550lbs of motorized mass pushing against a thin fiberglass door which is bolted in 4 places. What do you think would happen? This has nothing the age of the monorails and everything to do with the unique situation of the accident.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom