Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

ppete1975

My guess -- the Las Vegas project is a cover for the WDW purchase, and LV gets a couple of free trains out of it...
Why keep it a secret? You want to tell the people that support you (like us) that you care and are working on the parks, and that a replacement is coming.
The only reason to keep anything a secret is to keep prices from inflating, like a land grab (florida project as an example).

NormC

You could be right. All I know is it has had the same smell as when I first rode them in 1983. If that is mold, OK, but, that would put the time frame back into where "Disney cared and weren't only thinking about profit" and into today's complaint that they don't do maintenance anymore. We have to pick one of those, we can't have both. I have always thought that they did smell different. I can't help it if some find it unpleasant.. I didn't, but, I have always felt it to be familiar. If you and others want to believe it's mold, fine. I don't think that is what it is, but, it just is annoying because you and others are just guessing like I am, but, you are guessing negatively and I am guessing positively. Either way it remains the same.
Who says we are guessing?

Goofyernmost

Who says we are guessing?
I do... Do you by any chance have the test result report that says it's mold? And the written decisions that says it is ok with health organizations to continue to expose people to something that is potentially harmful. Wasn't there a big brouhaha about mold in AC units that caused Legionaries disease? And if it isn't a harmful mold, they why are we even talking about it and there is something that can be done about it, why hasn't it been taken care of over the last 35 years.

NormC

That would be your opinion. And you would be wrong. We are not guessing. They clean mold out of the ACs across property all the time.
Do you by any chance have the test result report that says it's mold?
Do you have one that says it isn't?
And the written decisions that says it is ok with health organizations to continue to expose people to something that is potentially harmful. Wasn't there a big brouhaha about mold in AC units that caused Legionaries disease? And if it isn't a harmful mold, they why are we even talking about it and there is something that can be done about it, why hasn't it been taken care of over the last 35 years.
Not all mold is toxic. Some of it just smells bad.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

That would be your opinion. And you would be wrong. They clean mold out of the ACs across property all the time.

Do you have one that says it isn't?

Not all mold is toxic. Some of it just smells bad.
Point was clear. Mold and bacteria are not the same thing. Legionnaires' disease is caused by a bacterium known as legionella not mold.
Probably some of the worst arguments ever made. Hey, go ahead and believe what you want. While you're at it explain to the people that get sick from mold that bacteria is worse. Another thought perhaps, that the chemical that is used to keep mold or bacteria out of the AC units are what we smell. Bad, maybe... not there, perhaps worse.

Do you have one that says it isn't. No, so I guess that cancels that out no matter how you look at it.

Just to keep up with the spirit of this discussion... Not all mold is toxic, I guess could also be said... a lot of mold is toxic. Again one cancels out the other.

Kamikaze

Probably some of the worst arguments ever made. Hey, go ahead and believe what you want. While you're at it explain to the people that get sick from mold that bacteria is worse. Another thought perhaps, that the chemical that is used to keep mold or bacteria out of the AC units are what we smell. Bad, maybe... not there, perhaps worse.

Do you have one that says it isn't. No, so I guess that cancels that out no matter how you look at it.

Just to keep up with the spirit of this discussion... Not all mold is toxic, I guess could also be said... a lot of mold is toxic. Again one cancels out the other.

Dude, its definitely a mold smell.

NormC

Probably some of the worst arguments ever made.
Wrong again and you just hate that don't you? LOL
Hey, go ahead and believe what you want.
It is not a belief. It is mold. It is very common in HVAC systems. Especially in humid areas like Florida.
While you're at it explain to the people that get sick from mold that bacteria is worse. Another thought perhaps, that the chemical that is used to keep mold or bacteria out of the AC units are what we smell. Bad, maybe... not there, perhaps worse.

:banghead:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

tenor.gif

s8film40

You could be right. All I know is it has had the same smell as when I first rode them in 1983. If that is mold, OK, but, that would put the time frame back into where "Disney cared and weren't only thinking about profit" and into today's complaint that they don't do maintenance anymore. We have to pick one of those, we can't have both. I have always thought that they did smell different. I can't help it if some find it unpleasant.. I didn't, but, I have always felt it to be familiar. If you and others want to believe it's mold, fine. I don't think that is what it is, but, it just is annoying because you and others are just guessing like I am, but, you are guessing negatively and I am guessing positively. Either way it remains the same.
Yeah, I wasn't guessing. I worked with these trains for 10 years. I've seen the mold, I've been in meetings with management where the mold was discussed and yes even results of tests were discussed. I agree with you I like the smell and it doesn't necessarily point to poor maintenance. When you have two powerful AC units per car working full time in the Florida humidity a lot of moisture is created. I've personally watched as trains with clogged drainage lines accumulated around a gallon of water each lap collecting in the hatch covers, only to be dumped on the wall carpet the moment the train starts it's incline to the contemporary. I've also handled guests complaints from those who got soaked from the same recurring incident. Over the years I've also seen them try various things to remove the mold, I remember one time they tried a new cleaning method and I didn't really like it (smelled like bleach). The trains also don't always have that familiar smell. When they put new carpet in the glue smell will easily overpower it and also same thing when the interiors are repainted. Now as to what the Mark IV trains smelled like in '83 I couldn't say, but I've heard they didn't have the exact same smell. This of course makes sense since they were entirely different trains and also didn't have as strong of AC units.

DznyRktekt

Yeah, I wasn't guessing. I worked with these trains for 10 years. I've seen the mold, I've been in meetings with management where the mold was discussed and yes even results of tests were discussed. I agree with you I like the smell and it doesn't necessarily point to poor maintenance. When you have two powerful AC units per car working full time in the Florida humidity a lot of moisture is created. I've personally watched as trains with clogged drainage lines accumulated around a gallon of water each lap collecting in the hatch covers, only to be dumped on the wall carpet the moment the train starts it's incline to the contemporary. I've also handled guests complaints from those who got soaked from the same recurring incident. Over the years I've also seen them try various things to remove the mold, I remember one time they tried a new cleaning method and I didn't really like it (smelled like bleach). The trains also don't always have that familiar smell. When they put new carpet in the glue smell will easily overpower it and also same thing when the interiors are repainted. Now as to what the Mark IV trains smelled like in '83 I couldn't say, but I've heard they didn't have the exact same smell. This of course makes sense since they were entirely different trains and also didn't have as strong of AC units.
Thank you for taking the time to share this information.

nace888

Orrrrrrrrr we could all be like me... When I worked Monorails, I didn't smell it at all, if barely... My sense of smell isn't that good, lol. I will say more guests didn't say anything about the smell than those that did.

NormC

Orrrrrrrrr we could all be like me... When I worked Monorails, I didn't smell it at all, if barely... My sense of smell isn't that good, lol. I will say more guests didn't say anything about the smell than those that did.
Most guests do smell it but understand what it is and don't bother saying anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom