Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

Lensman

The AC and new train smell would give them away.
They could set the AC to "inadequate" mode and spray some eau de mold in the cabins every morning.

Edited to add: Then they could adjust over time and we'd be like the boiling frogs, except in reverse.

Adding again: They could also start with the "scuffed up" wrap and then later remove it after the next wrap promotion.

Goofyernmost

The AC and new train smell would give them away.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The smell that the Monorails had in the 80's is the same as they are now. You know that big deal that was made when people could smell the popcorn as you entered MK, and how that always brought back a number of memories? That is the same reaction I get from the 1983 monorails. I step on the current ones and I am hit with that same odor. I don't know what it is we are smelling, I would speculate that it is the product they use to clean and disinfect the interior, but, to anyone that says they smell like urine, have not ever really gotten a whiff of fermented urine. Sorry, it is a pet peeve of mine whenever I see that mentioned. People do not pee in the corners of the Monorails, they don't really even have corners to pee in. That odor is not urine, it is a type of chemical used to keep them from being a container of germs.

JoeCamel

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The smell that the Monorails had in the 80's is the same as they are now. You know that big deal that was made when people could smell the popcorn as you entered MK, and how that always brought back a number of memories? That is the same reaction I get from the 1983 monorails. I step on the current ones and I am hit with that same odor. I don't know what it is we are smelling, I would speculate that it is the product they use to clean and disinfect the interior, but, to anyone that says they smell like urine, have not ever really gotten a whiff of fermented urine. Sorry, it is a pet peeve of mine whenever I see that mentioned. People do not pee in the corners of the Monorails, they don't really even have corners to pee in. That odor is not urine, it is a type of chemical used to keep them from being a container of germs.
You keep posting this but the consensus is that they reek

WEDwaydatamover

When WDW bought it's current fleet from Bombardier in the late 80's it was front page news. There once was a thing called a newspaper...

Anyway, it proclaimed "Bombardier rides the rails to success" along with all the great nerdy details.

As ancient as they are they still hold up style-wise. Great designers.

s8film40

The smell is mold. It’s proabably because they have such great AC and all that moisture that comes along with it. I totally agree with you, I love the smell it reminds me of my early rides in the monorail and it’s great!

I suspect others may not be as triggered nostalgically like those of us who’ve been traveling on them for so long and may be picking up other smells that we overlook.

Goofyernmost

The smell is mold. It’s proabably because they have such great AC and all that moisture that comes along with it. I totally agree with you, I love the smell it reminds me of my early rides in the monorail and it’s great!

I suspect others may not be as triggered nostalgically like those of us who’ve been traveling on them for so long and may be picking up other smells that we overlook.
Maybe, but, I really don't think so. Not going to argue it though, because I don't really know, That mold must all be from the same family otherwise the odor would change. That family would have to have hung on for 35 years and two completely different trains.

Goofyernmost

You keep posting this but the consensus is that they reek
The determination of "reek" is definable by what it does to help or hinder. Ammonia smells awful, actually a lot like fermented urine. I'd much rather have that smell then something that would do me harm germ wise. Perfume covers up odors it doesn't prevent germs. I'll take the protection.

s8film40

Maybe, but, I really don't think so. Not going to argue it though, because I don't really know, That mold must all be from the same family otherwise the odor would change. That family would have to have hung on for 35 years and two completely different trains.
Well to be fair it might be more accurate to say the smell comes from the AC. It’s probably a little of a lot of things. If you put your nose right up to the AC vents you can really smell it. Also the smell is strongest in the cabs, where one AC unit covers a much smaller space.

Cesar R M

When WDW bought it's current fleet from Bombardier in the late 80's it was front page news. There once was a thing called a newspaper...

Anyway, it proclaimed "Bombardier rides the rails to success" along with all the great nerdy details.

As ancient as they are they still hold up style-wise. Great designers.
Speaking of Bombardier.. I didnt know that Airbus bought a huge share of their airline division.

Goofyernmost

I see that once again the peanut gallery has shown up to attempt to discredit what is being said by using no evidence just snotty, sarcasm to make it appear that they are the holders of all knowledge that there is to exist. I, at least, try and explain my position, they just throw out sarcasm and expect everyone to kneel to their superior intelligence. Your evidence, which is completely lacking in detail or even lacking completely, would not hold up in court. Try arguing a point instead of just attempting to put yourself up as royalty. It doesn't float. Callously putting people down is not a virtue, in fact, your manner of attempted bullying, is childish and, frankly, tiring.

nace888

Speaking of Bombardier.. I didnt know that Airbus bought a huge share of their airline division.
Bombardier built and designed the CSeries aircraft, the CS100 and CS300... Upon attempting sales in the US, Boeing had some kind of fit with tariffs. out of all this came an acquisition agreement with Bombardier and Airbus, allowing Airbus to own 51% of the CSeries development, and now Airbus owns the line. The CS100 and CS300 have since been named the A220-100 and A220-300 accordingly.

As for monorails though, I'm still unsure if what I'd heard about Bombardier listing the large purchase from Disney is true though...

NormC

That mold must all be from the same family otherwise the odor would change.
The first sign of mold is often a musty smell. With a source of water to feed on, like AC condensation, mold can grow on many different materials.
Black mold typically refers to stachybotrys chartarum, which is a type of green and black mold so it could be that family. Further testing would be required to determine the actual family, genus and species.

Goofyernmost

The first sign of mold is often a musty smell. With a source of water to feed on, like AC condensation, mold can grow on many different materials.
Black mold typically refers to stachybotrys chartarum, which is a type of green and black mold so it could be that family. Further testing would be required to determine the actual family, genus and species.
You could be right. All I know is it has had the same smell as when I first rode them in 1983. If that is mold, OK, but, that would put the time frame back into where "Disney cared and weren't only thinking about profit" and into today's complaint that they don't do maintenance anymore. We have to pick one of those, we can't have both. I have always thought that they did smell different. I can't help it if some find it unpleasant.. I didn't, but, I have always felt it to be familiar. If you and others want to believe it's mold, fine. I don't think that is what it is, but, it just is annoying because you and others are just guessing like I am, but, you are guessing negatively and I am guessing positively. Either way it remains the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom