New modern day costumes coming to American Adventure?

Tom

Beta Return
Wow from the concept image the hostess costume looks a little bit like the ones from Minnie's Fly Girls Charter Airline show at DCA. Minus the hat, gloves, a different scarf and a different shade of blue.

6971200893_854e7fe541.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lorenjavier/6971200893/

Wow...yikes. Good find. And yeah, those outfits just scream "America". :rolleyes:

The Empress Lilly

Wow from the concept image the hostess costume looks a little bit like the ones from Minnie's Fly Girls Charter Airline show at DCA. Minus the hat, gloves, a different scarf and a different shade of blue.

6971200893_854e7fe541.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lorenjavier/6971200893/
But these girls look awesome! Fun show too (from what I've seen on YouTube).

1960s Pan-Am uniforms would've been cool too. (duh)
I must say that the new women's attire for the AA looks fine in itself. But that retro stewardess look to me is something that would work in DHS, but not so much in the AA.

Tom

Beta Return
Yeah ... just say it ... because that is exactly where these things belong.

I don't know.....WalMart's "vest" uniform is pretty snazzy. You can throw that vest over ANYTHING and it's considered a uniform. Oh crap....I hope Disney didn't just read that.

lazyboy97o

I don't know.....WalMart's "vest" uniform is pretty snazzy. You can throw that vest over ANYTHING and it's considered a uniform. Oh crap....I hope Disney didn't just read that.
Ooh!! They could be John Hench Purple, a fitting tribute to a great Imagineer who did something and always made it purple like Walt Disney wanted! In that same shade they could add an embroidered Mickey silhouette and it'll be a Hidden Mickey!! Oh what Disney fun!! :eek:

John

Nothing exudes american modernity like bright blue suits and tomato red dresses. Yet another example of TDO finding bad solutions for manufactured problems.

Thats it! Was always looking for the right defintion....TDO finding bad solutions for manufactured problems!
BRILLIANT! Why this happens? Some manager somewhere wanting to put his/her stamp on something. Beating on his/her chest saying "thats my baby". Just my opinion.

lazyboy97o

Thats it! Was always looking for the right defintion....TDO finding bad solutions for manufactured problems!
BRILLIANT! Why this happens? Some manager somewhere wanting to put his/her stamp on something. Beating on his/her chest saying "thats my baby". Just my opinion.
Not to mention a bonus for saving the company the cost of maintaining the more elaborate costumes.

scpergj

Nothing exudes american modernity like bright blue suits and tomato red dresses. Yet another example of TDO finding bad solutions for manufactured problems.

Close - that would be bright red potato sack dresses...my wife was amazed at how ugly they are!

asianway

Original Poster
In an unrelated story, reports coming in that the Ben Franklin & Betsy Ross atmosphere entertainment has been cut from this years 4th of July festivities at Epcot.

Tom

Beta Return
In an unrelated story, reports coming in that the Ben Franklin & Betsy Ross atmosphere entertainment has been cut from this years 4th of July festivities at Epcot.

Well, that's because it's 2012 and those people died YEARS ago. We're telling the story of 2012 America now. We can't have people in costumes running around like it's GenCon now can we?

Florida_is_hot

I like to know about countries, today.
in some ways modern costumes for this reason works for me.

When I watch the American Adventure not sure I need a history lesson.

What is the United States of America about today?
Give me details on what makes the USA unique and special.

The current uniform enforces a stereotype.

As does Canadian Uniform, Canada is not about lumberjacks never was,
1) Native Americans
2) French fur traders
3) British

but today Canada has unique things.
Multiculturalism, freedom of violence "guns are illegal", hockey, Canadians are peace keepers....

Do Americans want history lesson I doubt it. The Canadian Pavilion fails the same way as the American Adventure.

What do Non-Americans know about Americans?

Standard American stereotypes,
They are violent, everybody owns a gun and they are not afraid to use them.
Big cities are ghettos, poor burnt out slums full of crime and drug use.
They like to interfere with other countries.

Focus on the truth of today tell us Non-Americans that visit today on what American is now. Remember people visit from all over the world. Tell them why the stereotypes are wrong, what makes America great.

Today's uniform may make sense.

John

I like to know about countries, today.
in some ways modern costumes for this reason works for me.

The current uniform enforces a stereotype.

As does Canadian Uniform, Canada is not about lumberjacks never was,
1) Native Americans
2) French fur traders
3) British

but today Canada has unique things.
Multiculturalism, freedom of violence "guns are illegal", hockey, Canadians are peace keepers....

Do Americans want history lesson I doubt it. The Canadian Pavilion fails the same way as the American Adventure.

What do Non-Americans know about Americans?

Standard American stereotypes,
They are violent, everybody owns a gun and they are not afraid to use them.
Big cities are ghettos, poor burnt out slums full of crime and drug use.
They like to interfere with other countries.

Focus on the truth of today tell us Non-Americans that visit today on what American is now. Remember people visit from all over the world. Tell them why the stereotypes are wrong, what makes America great.

Today's uniform may make sense.

Ummmm your list of sterotypes are not exactly sterotypes but pretty much spot on. Careful we are stepping on shallow ground here. Yes, I am adding to it. Maybe Americans do need history lessons. Ask a high school senior who Ben Frankin is and see how many different responses you get? Back to the OP, why would we want to see CM's dressed in modern costumes? Piticularly in the AA, we see people dressed like that everyday. What would you suggest? poodle skirts? bell bottoms? a flappers dress? AA is about several periods of history. Today isnt history yet, it hasnt been written. If they are dressed like this then they are at least to me look like somekind of host or hostess. Rather them being a part of the attraction. They could be anywhere on property with those costumes. They could be at the front desk of a resort and look more appropriate.

Florida_is_hot

Well I hope the USA is much more, and the stereotypes are wrong, but being a foreigner I really do not know much about the USA.

Dress in modern costumes, say to people this is what New York, Chicago, Dallas, LA, Seattle... etc.... are really like.

In truth Ben Franklin, Mark Twain were likely not typical.
Most Americans in 1776, or 1876 would likely of had home made clothes.... like in pioneer villages.

Do not think I seen pioneer villages in the States, but we have them in Canada.

Dressing cast members in pseudo USA colonial costumes has as much meaning as dressing Canadian in Lumberjack outfits ..... means little.

At the end of the day the Attraction is great, the singers are wonderful.

docandsix

Hideous--the world of a miserly, uninspired accountant. Really, and I still love visiting Disney properties (just got off a Disney Cruise less than a month ago), the company's management of Walt Disney World is beginning to alienate me. Every time we turn around, it looks like some tightwad is trying to save a penny, cut a budget, and squeeze a few extra $100 from the average tourist family.

At least in California, they gave the guests a $1,000,000,000+ expansion as they raised the admission prices.

flynnibus

Premium Member

You should try listening to what the actual script and dialogue in the show is actually about. You might find it is about what makes our future...

Florida_is_hot

You should try listening to what the actual script and dialogue in the show is actually about. You might find it is about what makes our future...

Well without looking it up and it has been awhile since I set thought it,

The last dialog goes something like this,

Franklin says something along the lines "look how far gone we Americans are a proud race, even we a humble we are proud of our humility"

Twain careful now .... goes on to quote Steinbeck... we are still a young nation .... etc...

Franklin I may have invented these bifocals but I ensure you they are not rose coloured

Sure ok but what does that say about the future or better yet costumes in American Adventure?
Remember the original post is about costumes, no matter what they change to the American Adventure is still a good attraction.

Besides nothing knows the future, and most visions from the past are wrong.
Still have no flying car or personal robot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom