New Mickey and Minnie heads - how we feeling?

A foolish mortal

The more I compare them, the more I like the new look. I just feel like the eyes on the current Mickey are looking two different directions.. But the new Mickey is actually looking at you, with both eyes, if that makes sense! He doesn't look as scary :p
Skjermbilde 2016-04-16 20.37.20.png
Skjermbilde 2016-04-16 20.37.48.png

Donaldfan1934

The more I compare them, the more I like the new look. I just feel like the eyes on the current Mickey are looking two different directions.. But the new Mickey is actually looking at you, with both eyes, if that makes sense! He doesn't look as scary :p
View attachment 138248 View attachment 138249
Some heads have them a bit more centered, but they still never look as good as the new ones. The flaws of the old one really show in comparison.

Last edited:

No Name

Certainly a lot to take in. I must see it in person to really judge, because everything looks different in person and in motion. But from the picture, the new ones look more lifelike to me. Their faces read a bit more "happy" rather than "surprised," which is different. And it may just be the lighting, but it seems that the sun is finally starting to kick in. Though I'm not convinced that the tans are as severe as the picture makes them appear. I do think that, outfits included, they look less distinctly American/European, which was most definitely part of the intention.

Still, this is not a bad thing. It's not too radical of a change, and the average guest probably won't notice unless they just looked at an older photo. What I mean is that he doesn't suddenly look Chinese, he still looks like Mickey. In fact, he looks far more like he does in Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (other than the possible tan), which is the Mickey that today's children and even many adults are familiar with. This was most definitely another part of the intention.

Nostalgia is really the only thing holding anyone, including me, back. I have fond memories and pictures with the current Mickey and Minnie. But if this change were happening the other way around, we'd all be complaining how "stunned" and lifeless Mickey now looks. Throughout the years Mickey has only improved and I have to say that this is another improvement.

I also have to assume that, while Mickey and Minnie's physical appearances may be changing worldwide, those pictured outfits are "distinctly Chinese" and will remain in China. I also do wonder if the other characters will be redesigned. I like this change right now, but it's unreasonable to think that Disney can manage to do something good without screwing up, which makes me half-worried for what's to come.

Today's news, though, is a positive in my book.

Cmdr_Crimson

It's interesting as they Did this to Bugs Bunny for the Six Flags Parks...My park Six Flags Great America was the Testing ground for the new versions that came in about 2001....
During the time I was "Good Friends" With Bugs He looked like this....:D
Yes This is Me in this outfit...
bugsme_zps2be4380e.jpg

Then....Came...*Sigh* The new Versions they rolled out and are still using in the Six Flags Parks today.....:banghead:
3602371108_8e22c15907.jpg

Donaldfan1934

It's interesting as they Did this to Bugs Bunny for the Six Flags Parks...My park Six Flags Great America was the Testing ground for the new versions that came in about 2001....
bugsme_zps2be4380e.jpg

Then....Came...*Sigh* The new Versions they rolled out and are still using in the Six Flags Parks today.....:banghead:
I know that you have personal nostalgia for the original version, but but what's your real problem with the second version? Its far more on model with the character.

WDWLover#1

Original Poster
This might be for every character? I did find it interesting how in the concept art for Shanghai Mickey and Minnie were drawn different and I didn't make the connection or consider the possibility. As @Donaldfan1934 has said pooh looks different as well. Although that's a lot of money to change all of them.

bennythecab

I think we'll be getting them soon. I hope that they'll be there during my trip wat the end of May since it's less than a month before Shanghai opens. I wonder what the new talking heads will look like too.

Completely agree. These look amazing! I also think the articulated heads will work brilliantly with these new faces.

Having been "good friends"outside of Disney in the past I would say these look far more modern current and child friendly than the version in use on parks today.

Friendship Faire could see a rollout? Anyone inside anything?

ItlngrlBella

bugsme_zps2be4380e.jpg

I miss the old version - weird that he runs around naked all the time. The updated version's face looks evil.

Cmdr_Crimson

I know that you have personal nostalgia for the original version, but but what's your real problem with the second version? Its far more on model with the character.

The first complaint we got when we first brought the new version out was he looked like an older version of Buster Bunny (Sans Shirt)..And many guest couldn't figure out why he had a deranged look and now walking around without his tux...Even tho he has done in the past before his 50th Birthday tux came into his wardrobe.

Plus many guests were unconfortable on how he looked and even tho we followed the guidelines on character mannerisims, poses, etc...It was tough and reduced the amount of guests meeting him...We then paired him with the other characters and it started to work better when guests finally figured out it Bugs Bunny and not Buster...

The outfit..While comfortable..The new versions had HORRIBLE eye sight (to put it the best way you had to look up to see thru his eyes), breathing issues and other flaws of hooks,velcro and other problems like a cosplayer could deal with at a convention..

Since then all the updates of the characters were complete by 2002 and what you see now is what is normally used as characters at Six Flags Parks...
LooneyTunes.jpg

I will point out tho after I left the Improvments of Bugs were updated a bit around 2007 when they added more fur to him rather than the lightweight suit they normally used and configured viewability where you can actually see thru..
Bugs-Bunny-Six-Flags-Fiesta-Texas.jpg

ItlngrlBella

Completely agree. These look amazing! I also think the articulated heads will work brilliantly with these new faces.

Having been "good friends"outside of Disney in the past I would say these look far more modern current and child friendly than the version in use on parks today.

Articulated heads are a huge improvement. Mickey looks like he's lost a few pounds - his snout is more narrow, eyebrows higher and his pupil/iris are centered lower to look like he's "looking" at you more than he vacant stare.
Wondering if the other major characters will get a makeover too?

Donaldfan1934

That's probably where they'll show up first. I know everyone is saying current, but I'm getting a slight retro vibe from these in a good way. Like John Hench anniversary portraits retro. http://auction.howardlowery.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2566955

Donaldfan1934

The first complaint we got when we first brought the new version out was he looked like an older version of Buster Bunny (Sans Shirt)..And many guest couldn't figure out why he had a deranged look and now walking around without his tux...Even tho he has done in the past before his 50th Birthday tux came into his wardrobe.

Plus many guests were unconfortable on how he looked and even tho we followed the guidelines on character mannerisims, poses, etc...It was tough and reduced the amount of guests meeting him...We then paired him with the other characters and it started to work better when guests finally figured out it Bugs Bunny and not Buster...

The outfit..While comfortable..The new versions had HORRIBLE eye sight (to put it the best way you had to look up to see thru his eyes), breathing issues and other flaws of hooks,velcro and other problems like a cosplayer could deal with at a convention..

Since then all the updates of the characters were complete by 2002 and what you see now is what is normally used as characters at Six Flags Parks...
LooneyTunes.jpg

I will point out tho after I left the Improvments of Bugs were updated a bit around 2007 when they added more fur to him rather than the lightweight suit they normally used and configured viewability where you can actually see thru..
Bugs-Bunny-Six-Flags-Fiesta-Texas.jpg
While it may have took some adjusting to at first and the eyesight wasn't that good initially, most people must be fine with the current Bugs now since nothing has changed from the outside aside from some receiving more fur in 2007. In my opinion, the furry version looks a bit more awkward than the less furry one, but its still the same mold. Also, I went to six flags once back in 2004 and I met the current Bugs in his tux, so he he was definitely still wearing it after 2001.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom