New Mickey and Minnie heads - how we feeling?

GiveMeTheMusic

That is literally the only thing I don't like about the new version. While I have seen it in person, Mickey seems to have lost much of his shape. I'm assuming this was done for performer safety, but I hope they can find middle ground in the near future.

It wasn't for safety. Over the years Mickey's hairline receded and he became pudgier. The current look companywide for Mickey is younger instead of aging corporate symbol - the Mickey on the Studios water tower in Burbank was even repainted to look thinner.

Donaldfan1934

It wasn't for safety. Over the years Mickey's hairline receded and he became pudgier. The current look companywide for Mickey is younger instead of aging corporate symbol - the Mickey on the Studios water tower in Burbank was even repainted to look thinner.
I find that notion to be a bit contradictory. It would make sense that the more you sanitize Mickey, the more he becomes just another corporate symbol. John Hench said that Mickey's circular nature was what made him reasuring. And considering that this is the continuation of the suit and tie template designed by John hench back in the 1960's, I feel they should continue and honor the emphasis on round. Thankfully, the rest of the costume is a huge improvement so this is just the one glaring imperfection.

Cmdr_Crimson

Well, let's be greatful they didn't go with this version....
6fbc7357f2418d7fe36b0b523006f450.jpg

I'm seeing this version on a bunch of Merchandise lately and feared the worse when they announce the new style coming and luckily it was better than what was expected..

180º

I haven't heard that they made the costume thinner. What I have heard is that his tux is now more loose-fitting and informal, so I suspect that's why his head and waist look comparatively smaller than we're used to.

I should mention that the head itself is repurposed, so the heads are the same size. The face sculpt and ears are new.

Donaldfan1934

Agreed. Not good for the face of Disney, but these new Mickey shorts are terrific. My son and I are obsessed. A little crude (ala Ren and Stimpy at times) but we get over it. Very well done.
That's cool. I myself am not really a fan. I have no problem with crude humor at all, I'm just a traditionalist and would prefer a more traditional take on the characters.

Donaldfan1934

I haven't heard that they made the costume thinner. What I have heard is that his tux is now more loose-fitting and informal, so I suspect that's why his head and waist look comparatively smaller than we're used to.

I should mention that the head itself is repurposed, so the heads are the same size. The face sculpt and ears are new.
That sounds more acceptable to me. Again, I haven seen it it in person so the suit could look a lot more formal than I expect it to. Great observation on the headsculpt by the way. I too have noticed that it was identical aside from the obvious major changes.

MagicHappens1971

The real story behind the new Mickey/Minnie heads is that they are much lighter, but also more delicate. They have to be handled with two hands at all times, stored upright on vertical supports, not sideways, and are much more difficult to transport across the parks by the performers.
Saw this on the Disneyland Forum and thought it was appropriate to share here.

Old Mouseketeer

...I should mention that the head itself is repurposed, so the heads are the same size. The face sculpt and ears are new.

Repurposed how? Repurposed suggests that the underlying structural shell is being given a new cosmetic overlay and I am assured that this is absolutely not the case. It's not even true that the structural design is being repurposed. My rebel spies have been very explicit that the actual structure is very different. They may be the same size overall, but they represent a complete redesign to be lighter and make subtle tweaks in appearance. And the old heads are being destroyed. Many Bothans could lose their lives trying to smuggle these heads onto ebay.

180º

Repurposed how? Repurposed suggests that the underlying structural shell is being given a new cosmetic overlay and I am assured that this is absolutely not the case.
On the contrary, it is my understanding that it is the case. Full replacement was the plan at one point, but it was dropped in favor of reusing the shells with brand new face sculpts and delicate (albeit lighter) foam ears. Anyway, that's what my bothans say. :D I may be misinformed, though.

Old Mouseketeer

On the contrary, it is my understanding that it is the case. Full replacement was the plan at one point, but it was dropped in favor of reusing the shells with brand new face sculpts and delicate (albeit lighter) foam ears. Anyway, that's what my bothans say. :D I may be misinformed, though.

Oh, those pesky Bothans. Well, I shall reach out in the coming week to seek some clarification. But my information so far is that they are entirely new heads and the old ones will be ritually sacrificed (meaning they will each receive a printed "destroy" tag and be herded into the destroy bin). It's a tough business getting secret plans past the Empire's forces.

brb1006

Agreed. Not good for the face of Disney, but these new Mickey shorts are terrific. My son and I are obsessed. A little crude (ala Ren and Stimpy at times) but we get over it. Very well done.
I'm just glad we get a unique take at the Mickey Mouse cartoons. At least it ain't like Shnookums and Meat (Disney's attempt at being like Ren and Stimpy).

Cmdr_Crimson

I'm just glad we get a unique take at the Mickey Mouse cartoons. At least it ain't like Shnookums and Meat (Disney's attempt at being like Ren and Stimpy).

Because the new Mickey Mouse cartoons are just a simple knockoff of early Cartoon Network Cartoons and what a surprise it was directed and created by a Cartoon Network creator Paul Rudish who worked on 2 Stupid Dogs, Dexter's Laboratory, The Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack to name a few..

Schnookums and Meat was created by Bill Kopp who was Co-Producer and Voice of Eek The Cat...

VJ

It should be noted that "original recipe" Mickey and the Disney Channel shorts Mickey are two completely different designs, and I don't think one would be used for the other probably ever. I think the shorts Mickey is just Mickey through a different artistic lense is all.

huwar18

It should be noted that "original recipe" Mickey and the Disney Channel shorts Mickey are two completely different designs, and I don't think one would be used for the other probably ever. I think the shorts Mickey is just Mickey through a different artistic lense is all.

Yeah, Goofy in the new Disney shorts is scary looking. I would hate to see that character ever walking around. ha

Last edited:

SorcererMC

Yeah, Goofy in the new Disney shorts is scary looking. I would hate to see that character ever watching around. ha
I tried really hard to like the new shorts, I've probably seen all of them, but I couldn't believe what they did to Goofy. It's awful and they became unwatchable. I don't mind Disney updating the characters, I do mind them changing the design and 'personality' beyond recognition (too profane/ irreverent for my tastes).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom