New Mickey and Minnie heads - how we feeling?

Donaldfan1934

One thing I just realized I'm going to miss: Mickey and Minnie can currently wiggle their noses (it's not intentional in design, but a party trick they have up their sleeves). I have to imagine that that small feature has been eliminated.
Yes, that is a very iconic element of the 1988 costumes. I hope the designers implemented that feature, but like you, I wouldn't bet on it.

brb1006

I noticed a number of issues here and there, but never really payed attention to them until I saw the new versions a couple months back. Viewing them side by side really put the issues into perspective. While they may not have been the characters most in need of an upgrade, I think the fact that the main mice were taken into account at all shows that Disney's attention to detail is still strong.
Especially the eyes and I'm so glad Disney finally decided to have Minnie stop wearing makeup and lipstick.

brb1006

One thing I just realized I'm going to miss: Mickey and Minnie can currently wiggle their noses (it's not intentional in design, but a party trick they have up their sleeves). I have to imagine that that small feature has been eliminated.
It's so rare to see Mickey or Minnie wiggling there noses (Especially Minnie). I remember this was common during the 90's if you seen any WDW commercial such as this one.

But I was unaware that Minnie can also pull that trick.

brb1006

Yes, that is a very iconic element of the 1988 costumes. I hope the designers implemented that feature, but like you, I wouldn't bet on it.
I remember that began with Mickey's 1964 - 1978 design. I didn't know Minnie was able to do that until now. I'm sure they might kept that for the new designs for the two.

brb1006

True. Mickey and Minnie's evolution from 1964-2016 has been a very naturally progressive one. With this in mind now, I wouldn't be surprised if a number of quirks were kept.
Speaking of 70's Mickey, I came across this photo where Mickey's face appears to be closed. It appears that Mickey's face was more rubbery and flexible back then similar to Pooh's old design.
vintage-mickey-disneyland-med.jpg

cheesecake

I'm someone who does get very nostalgic and sentimental about little things, but I must say I prefer the new Mickey and Minnie! The heads are more proportional to their bodies, and the eyes and smiles look more lifelike. Seeing a close comparison, the old versions have more hollow looking eyes. The color change is clear in the side by side, but not really that major. I actually like them a little tanner, it makes less of a sharp contrast with the black.

Donaldfan1934

Reminds me of when Mickey's 1978 - 1988 head would sometimes switch to his brand new design and would switch. I remember noticing this during one of the Disneyland/Walt Disney World specials between 1987 - 1989.
I'm surprised that this would be a ok now since one would think character integrity would get stricter over the years. While I think this transition will be a bit quicker within the parks, I have a hunch that there will still be an awkward era of stock footage used in promotional materials just like there was back then.

GiveMeTheMusic

I'm surprised that this would be a ok now since one would think character integrity would get stricter over the years. While I think this transition will be a bit quicker within the parks, I have a hunch that there will still be an awkward era of stock footage used in promotional materials just like there was back then.

Character integrity is no longer a concern.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom