New Mickey and Minnie heads - how we feeling?

The Hatbox Ghost

Oh I noticed a difference right away, although I wasn't sure exactly what the difference was, lol. But I knew for certain I liked the new one better. After some review of them side by side I think the new expressions are simply friendlier and more joyful than the old/current heads. The eyes are more open now as opposed to being inset. And the 'skin' appears to be more lifelike and healthy, not so pale pink.

Donaldfan1934

Oh I noticed a difference right away, although I wasn't sure exactly what the difference was, lol. But I knew for certain I liked the new one better. After some review of them side by side I think the new expressions are simply friendlier and more joyful than the old/current heads. The eyes are more open now as opposed to being inset. And the 'skin' appears to be more lifelike and healthy, not so pale pink.
I think the core difference is that the new ones look like they popped out of a 1940's Disney short, while the old ones have distinct features that give them an overall look that is stiffer and less alive.

brb1006

Beast just gotten a new design which debuted at DCL recently. It would later show at up Disneyland and WDW pretty soon. I decide to post this image on this thread since this came to mind.
image-jpeg.142885

bennythecab

Did anyone else see this concept art from Paris this week? Awfully close to the new heads? That and the close resemblence in the Friendship Fairee artwork perhaps we'll see these parks wide faster than some thought.

Attachments

• hd13140_2050jan01_mickey-and-the-magician_16-9.jpg
    hd13140_2050jan01_mickey-and-the-magician_16-9.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 124
Definitely prefer the new ones, although if I hadn't seen them side by side I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference straight away!
The Micky's are pretty similar but I think thew new Minnie looks so much better. The eyes are the most telling thing, they make them look a lot more lifelike I think :)
I never noticed before, but seeing the old ones next to the new ones makes the older look slightly creepy...o_O

MagicHappens1971

Heard the new heads are coming this fall, or maybe even sooner. Don't really understand why the other parks couldn't get them before Shangai instead of the now awkward stage where Shangais heads are different then the other resorts. Also heard Prince Eric, Phillip & Snow Whites Prince are getting redesigns, Eric will supposedly be featuring a more "regal" look.

Nland316

Heard the new heads are coming this fall, or maybe even sooner. Don't really understand why the other parks couldn't get them before Shangai instead of the now awkward stage where Shangais heads are different then the other resorts. Also heard Prince Eric, Phillip & Snow Whites Prince are getting redesigns, Eric will supposedly be featuring a more "regal" look.
I'm assuming Disneyland specifically will get them after the 60th is officially over.

brb1006

The New Mickey head can now move which can be seen during the opening gala for Shanghai Disney Resort.

Mickey shows up at 15:04

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

The New Mickey head can now move which can be seen during the opening gala for Shanghai Disney Resort.

skip to mark 25:32 for where it begins.

Mickey shows up at 40:39

I can see that the new articulated Mickey looks much more in synch with the standard head than the previous version was. With the previous version, it was clear which head was articulated and which was standard just by looking at the mouths. I think the improvement is largely due to the more animated nature of the new head design.

brb1006

I can see that the new articulated Mickey looks much more in synch with the standard head than the previous version was. With the previous version, it was clear which head was articulated and which was standard just by looking at the mouths. I think the improvement is largely due to the more animated nature of the new head design.
While I like the head currently at WDW this one looks alot more lively than I expected.

brb1006

Agreed. The 1988 heads were fine, but didn't meat the accuracy standard that Disney requires of them today.
Now that I think about it, I never noticed how odd Mickey and Minnie looked once we first seen there new designs months ago. I'm actually looking forward for these to show up at the other Disney Parks in the future. That might explain why some of the commenters felt a bit mixed with there new heads. But thanks to the video from Shanghai I'm starting to love them.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

Now that I think about it, I never noticed how odd Mickey and Minnie looked once we first seen there new designs months ago. I'm actually looking forward for these to show up at the other Disney Parks in the future.
I noticed a number of issues here and there, but never really payed attention to them until I saw the new versions a couple months back. Viewing them side by side really put the issues into perspective. While they may not have been the characters most in need of an upgrade, I think the fact that the main mice were taken into account at all shows that Disney's attention to detail is still strong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom