New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

lazyboy97o

Why are people getting upset over what COULD be? They aren't. It sucks they aren't but are we surprised? It's a bypass. A simple bypass to get people through. Yes they missed an opportunity but that's never what it was meant to be. It was meant to be a simple bypass that was mildly themed to look nicer. That's all. No one but us on here cares that it won't be the arcades in Paris. No one stands around back there and discusses how awful it was to see *gasp* backstage.
This is not the attitude behind a premium experience. It is also not true that the goal was always just a bypass. The issue of the single street became apparent rather quickly and discussions of doing something back there go all the way back to the 1950s. It's been an on-and-off proposal that only just recently died as an additional experience.

Little Green Men

You miss my point slightly, at Magic Kingdom you can do a 14 hour day without repeating a ride/show/attraction. At Epcot you can do everything in 12hrs easily. I don't want to go to a bar as that costs more money on top of admission. If magic kingdom shut at 9:30pm (which it does in slow season) then people wouldn't hop anyway. Other answer would be to price park hopper tickets even higher to discourage hopping to MK. But if I am going to spend all day at Magic Kingdom I like the long hours as can get all the attractions done. Basically, MK has too many attractions and Epcto too few.
Do you count all the exhibits like in Innoventions, the post shows in FW and the shows/ cultural exhibits in WS? I usually only spend 6 hours in Epcot and it takes me more than two trips to do everything.

Kman101

This is not the attitude behind a premium experience. It is also not true that the goal was always just a bypass. The issue of the single street became apparent rather quickly and discussions of doing something back there go all the way back to the 1950s. It's been an on-and-off proposal that only just recently died as an additional experience.

OK

I'm not going to be outraged over this though, sorry. I don't see the point. I want quality too, whether you think I have the attitude that demands a premium experience. A bypass doesn't matter to me. I think you're getting yourself up in arms over something it was never intended to be despite what you say. There's other things to get on them about, IMO. I don't care what was supposed to be, what could have been. It's what it is.

NearTheEars

That I wasn't aware of. I had only heard about it on a news story here about its construction, and it being called a bypass in all references.

Didn't know they had been thinking about some other avenues in the past.

Kman101

SHOULD they have built the arcades? Sure. I'd LOVE them. But this time I agree with simple theming and it serving a purpose of pushing the crowd through. Doesn't mean I don't want quality but it comes off as outrage over what COULD be or what we all want when in reality we all know they weren't doing the arcades. It's just the majority of people HOPED they would and when it wasn't, the upset started.

It's different to me than being upset over say getting a super abridged version of the Mine Train when we could have possibly have had it be longer and include more, or getting a meh and plastic Little Mermaid ride. I just think too much time is spent obsessing over what we want them to do and being upset they're "screwing us" when from what I could tell at the very beginning of this thread is that it was meant to push crowds through. The arcades would help Main Street congestion on a regular basis but I just don't buy they ever wanted to do more than what we're getting. This is not "rah rah Disney is the best let me snort the Pixie Dust" but it was never meant to be the arcades and then they decided to do a simple sparsely themed alley way. If that really were the case, I'd be upset too.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There was never a chance to get the DLP arcades.

In France they act as an overflow, a parade bypass, weather cover, pavement cafes, exhibitions and free flow store access. And were designed from the ground up to be that as part of the overall land.

In WDW it is purely a much needed crowd handling project. Although it just moves the problem to Seven Seas, admittedly where there is more space to try to deal with it.

Macca250

Ah ok, I wasn't sure how the capacity differed in MK and DLP. Does the hub/ Main Street have the same capacity in DLP as MK?
I'd argue that there's more space in DLP's hub; the castle is set further back and I reckon it's slightly more spacious. Main Street as lazyboy97o said, is more or less identicle to MK, but there is the added capacity with the arcades. I can remember thinking during my last visit that it all seemed a bit more grand in comparison to MK!

righttrack

We don't drink/barhop but in general, we're a night family and in summer particularly, touring the parks in the evening makes more sense than trying to do it during the day. There are also many families from areas not in EST who appreciate the later hours.

If Disney would invest more into growing EPCOT and not simply destroy what's good there for the sake of the almighty dollar, EPCOT would be well used if they stayed open later and did not do partial shut downs starting at 9. That would pull a bit of the attendance down from MK, but not by much. What they need is for AK to complete its new attractions and start staying open late.

Exactly and it's not just drinking in World Showcase, but shopping and yes, them expanding and improving the offerings there. It is a place we want to go to at night, we are drawn there at night and wish it would stay open later. World Showcase, and spilling it out into the Boardwalk is the "New Pleasure Island" and they can relieve some of the strain on Magic Kingdom. Sure, it's a great place to be. Sure MK blows away the other parks with the sheer number of things you can do. It becomes a great place to go at night, but a reluctant place to go at night when you've already started the night for a nice dinner at World Showcase.

Kman101

Epcot not being open past 9PM makes no sense to me (well I know why ... $$$), especially at least World Showcase. They're missing out IMO. At least keep it open to 11pm or Midnight. And why do half of the rides in Future World close at 7pm, what's even the point then?

Little Green Men

Epcot not being open past 9PM makes no sense to me (well I know why ... $$$), especially at least World Showcase. They're missing out IMO. At least keep it open to 11pm or Midnight. And why do half of the rides in Future World close at 7pm, what's even the point then?
JII, LwtL, EEA close at 7. SSE, MS, TT, Soarin', and the Seas are open so that's technically more than half. Plus the boat rides in WS (before Maelstrom closed, now just Gran Fiesta is opened).

Kman101

I know. I didn't think I needed to list them LOL. It was a generalized statement. It's splitting hairs but things still close at 7, the park closes at 9.

righttrack

I know. I didn't think I needed to list them LOL. It was a generalized statement. It's splitting hairs but things still close at 7, the park closes at 9.

Yes, and the main reason we got to this place is keeping MK open so late, it draws everyone on property with a park hopper option, to MK after dinner. They've got to open another park at least to 10-11 during peak crowd seasons.

Kman101

Epcot is prime for staying open late. Didn't it used to 'back in the day'? I mean even DHS stays open to 10PM sometimes!

At least have World Showcase be 11am-11pm.

Jon81uk

Epcot is prime for staying open late. Didn't it used to 'back in the day'? I mean even DHS stays open to 10PM sometimes!

At least have World Showcase be 11am-11pm.

They would need to invest in more attractions for World Showcase though, it still doesn't feel like there is enough to do other than eating / shopping.

harryk

They would need to invest in more attractions for World Showcase though, it still doesn't feel like there is enough to do other than eating / shopping.
World Showcase offers dining all around the 'world' from Canada through Mexico, what with the U.S.A. only offering a glorified fast-food restaurant. Placing more 'Live' entertainment in the showcase (bringing back those entertainers who had there contracts not renewed) would help to make it worth while. Future world never offered more than the restaurants at the Seas and Land pavilions. The entertainment along the Boardwalk is practically non-existent. So - other than eating -- there is nothing at the Epcot location after Illuminations.

Pumbaa1222

World Showcase offers dining all around the 'world' from Canada through Mexico, what with the U.S.A. only offering a glorified fast-food restaurant. Placing more 'Live' entertainment in the showcase (bringing back those entertainers who had there contracts not renewed) would help to make it worth while. Future world never offered more than the restaurants at the Seas and Land pavilions. The entertainment along the Boardwalk is practically non-existent. So - other than eating -- there is nothing at the Epcot location after Illuminations.

This was my exact thoughts. Have special evening only (or extended versions of daytime acts) entertainment all around World Showcase for after Illuminations. Have something going on the Fountain stage (dare I say Dance Party??)

Then liven up the Boardwalk, even a few nights a week or weekend with Boardwalk/Carnival style type activities. Both could be appropriate for all ages, but maybe more mellow than the Springs will be, and not the same as the full theme park experience at MK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom