New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

G00fyDad

o_O The heck kind of news is this??? What's wrong with the people running WDW?? Why would they actually make something to bypass Main Street USA?

I'm moving to California. Disneyland, here I come!

Isn't it only for an expedient exit at the end of the night when the park is closing and everyone is clamoring for the exit like wild beasts? If so then a bypass is most welcome. I don't think it is for regular use during the day.

Tom

Beta Return
And certainly efficiency... and if you consider this proposal as an upgrade to the current pattern of moving people through backstage, then likely show as well.

Yeah, at least three of them will be covered, and let's hope there's a little Show to go with it. It's hard to temporarily make the back of Main Street look good.

G00fyDad

Doing something to help with the nightmarish traffic jam at the end of the night is enough to make you stop going? Tough crowd.

I have seen many people in the past few days say something like this. I really wish they weren't full of crap and would follow through with the threat. That would mean more room for the rest of us at Disney. LOL Unfortunately they have no intention of boycotting Disney.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Took the bypass again on Saturday night. Outside of the construction walls visible from the aerial photos, it looks the same as it did the years before. As much as I wanted to go and jump over and see what was going on behind that wall, I was dead tired and not really up for any climbing.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Took the bypass again on Saturday night. Outside of the construction walls visible from the aerial photos, it looks the same as it did the years before. As much as I wanted to go and jump over and see what was going on behind that wall, I was dead tired and not really up for any climbing.

Lazy bum. You can run half a marathon, but you can't climb a measly little wall?

Also, I wonder why they used the bypass Saturday night. Is it becoming a most nights thing now?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Lazy bum. You can run half a marathon, but you can't climb a measly little wall?

Also, I wonder why they used the bypass Saturday night. Is it becoming a most nights thing now?

HA!

It really wasn't all that busy on that Saturday either, and I don't tend to go during peak times and have been using it for years. I think they open it up when the streets are closed for the MSEP, because when we went through, it was about 5 minutes before that stepped off. They were not advertising that it was open, but a cast-member was standing in front of it. I just asked "Is the bypass open?" and he pointed me to it. We were the only non-cast-members going through it at that time. Made it down from Tomorrowland Terrace to the Tony's in probably 3 minutes, which would not have been the case if we were trying to struggle our way through the parade traffic.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
HA!

It really wasn't all that busy on that Saturday either, and I don't tend to go during peak times and have been using it for years. I think they open it up when the streets are closed for the MSEP, because when we went through, it was about 5 minutes before that stepped off. They were not advertising that it was open, but a cast-member was standing in front of it. I just asked "Is the bypass open?" and he pointed me to it. We were the only non-cast-members going through it at that time. Made it down from Tomorrowland Terrace to the Tony's in probably 3 minutes, which would not have been the case if we were trying to struggle our way through the parade traffic.

Hmmmmmmm....

That's interesting. I was under the impression that it was an emergency overflow corridor, not a secondary exit.

One final question. Did you see any monorail footers back there?

JungleTrekFan

Probably bev="tl77, post: 5768982, member: 76754"]This is pretty detailed, fan-made, blueprint of the utilidor system, but from the looks of it I don't see why they would need back stage access to the buildings on Main Street since so much of it is underground
4518237312_6a8726afe9_b.jpg
Probably because there's no underground access for merch/food deliveries.[/quote]
That has to be the best Utilidor map known to man lol. The only thing it got wrong was saying Character Zoo is where Deployment is located. But yes it is much easier to take Park 1 entrance, is it?, and make the deliveries for the Emporium, Casey’s, Tomorrowland Terrace, Bakery, Tony’s, ODF, etc. in that parking lot and transfer it to wherever it needs to go. Though Cosmic’s gets all of its deliveries from the back of Fantasyland and thier amazing stockers walk each pallet down the Utilidor to them every night. It is much preferred not to have to do this, but Cosmics is “land locked” in a way that it is the only way to do it.

COProgressFan

HA!

It's strange, because I've been at the MK during times the bypass was open, but hardly seemed needed.

But I've also been there on days I've stood in hub and Main Street gridlock and wondered why it was not available to guests. I'm not exactly sure when they make the determination to open it up.

wogwog

It's strange, because I've been at the MK during times the bypass was open, but hardly seemed needed.

But I've also been there on days I've stood in hub and Main Street gridlock and wondered why it was not available to guests. I'm not exactly sure when they make the determination to open it up.
Management does what the Magic Band tells them to do. The Magic 8 Ball recently retired quietly.

wogwog

You did not miss much unless you really like to look at broken asphalt and dirt. They were still moving dirt and utilities last Saturday morning as I went buy and took a peek.

wogwog

Have not read all 21 pages of this, so this may be well known, but WDW is trying to ease the mass exit mess with the bypass and at the same time also expanding the bus station at MK. Many of the extra bus bays will be used for buses to go to TTC to take the load off of the boats and rail. The combination should help. I know I have avoided being in the MK for the rush in peak seasons for years. I only see the night parade and fire works in the few slow weeks in the ever shrinking "slow season".

tl77

Was anyone in this backstage area during the Christmas parade filming? just wondering what's up with this mystery project

omurice

Have not read all 21 pages of this, so this may be well known, but WDW is trying to ease the mass exit mess with the bypass and at the same time also expanding the bus station at MK. Many of the extra bus bays will be used for buses to go to TTC to take the load off of the boats and rail. The combination should help. I know I have avoided being in the MK for the rush in peak seasons for years. I only see the night parade and fire works in the few slow weeks in the ever shrinking "slow season".

Slow season - what slow season?! :depressed:

Looking forward to this path being open, I know it's a relief valve but hope it is open often enough to see it during those "slow times", when I prefer to go too. Did see it in the past (or still present?) form during the May All-Nighter (5/24) and it was interesting. Was filming it all the way with my phone, CMs did not say a word, but was possibly my entry for winner of Most Horrible Video Ever Shot at a Disney Theme Park*... just darkness punctuated with dark shapes and a few jittery parking lot sodium lights. Didn't have my digital camera with that day, unfortunately. Still more proof that "phones are not cameras"!

*my previous entry was a full ride on haunted mansion with camera pointed at my legs, started with the intention of taking a video, remembered good video almost impossible on HM without a decent low light camera, let lens point downward in shame, forgot to shut off recording...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom