New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

DManRightHere

Well first off, sorry to draw all over Scott Keating's photo, but when I first heard about his project I just assumed they would put a bunch of construction walls back here because anything would be an improvement and anytime there is something they don't want you to see construction walls seem to be the solution, but then I saw this photo and noticed there's been quite a few changes to this back stage area

msbypass2.jpg

At the north end of this path way I noticed they removed the long white tank that used to be between the Plaza and the Tomorrowland Noodle Station, I'm guessing they did it to make this pathway wider at the north end.

They also dug up 3 tree and flower planters that used to be at the west end of the parking area which were sitting in the middle of the potential path way.

Just to the right of were the planters used to be they dug up this large irregular shaped area of the parking lot which to me looks like a foundation for... something? and the fact that this area stops just before it reaches the utilidor tunnel was interesting as well because if they are digging a foundation for something there stoping before they reach the utilidor.

I started off having very low expectations for this by pass project, but from what I've seeing in this photo I think it's possible that they could end up doing something as elaborate as a back lot façade, or it could still end up being a bunch of construction walls, I guess we'll have to wait and see

I think it's a building. They probably hated the idea of bypassing everyone past all of the shops to begin with.

wogwog

Doesn't look like much significant done in the past month, but I'll let others judge :)

From Friday
Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...
I have looked at it a few times the last month and they have been working at something each time I have looked but you are correct in that it does not change a lot. But the construction trailer in the upper right corner of your photo would tell me it is a little more than putting up a lot of walls for a walk through bypass. We can only hope.

The Visionary Soul

msbypass2.jpg

and the fact that this area stops just before it reaches the utilidor tunnel was interesting as well because if they are digging a foundation for something there stoping before they reach the utilidor.
There is no tunnel in that yellow area on the map, it's about 20 feet farther north. Am I missing something?

Bairstow

I doubt it, it would seem an unnecessary expense to cut through the concrete and add stairs for a single retail establishment.

BTW...utilidor = Utility Corridor

Just speculation.
I didn't expect them to be doing so much work to get this done, assuming this is indeed the foundation for some sort of building.

djkidkaz

I'm guessing the work is just going to be a wall used as a false front to a building since you'll have guests back there. That way it will look like your walking down another street. I wouldn't be surprised to see them open up center street to let guests through that way too.

tl77

There is no tunnel in that yellow area on the map, it's about 20 feet farther north. Am I missing something?

I know the utilidor tunnel runs under Center Street east to west and at some point makes a slight bend northeast to the Tomorrowland Noodle Station, but I couldn't tell where exactly from the various maps. My reason for including it though is just to show that this new construction project wasn't over top and/or related to the utilidor tunnel

The Visionary Soul

I know the utilidor tunnel runs under Center Street east to west and at some point makes a slight bend northeast to the Tomorrowland Noodle Station, but I couldn't tell where exactly from the various maps. My reason for including it though is just to show that this new construction project wasn't over top and/or related to the utilidor tunnel
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, that project has nothing to do with the tunnels.

rct247

All I know is that some of that construction work in the parking lot really needs to be finished by New Year's Eve this year because Disney uses that area as an alternate fireworks viewing area when they reach capacity in the Hub. They do there best to sell that area. For 4th of July this year, they had vendors selling food & drinks, a live DJ, tables and benches, and everything. It looked ugly, but they sold that space very well for people who literally could not get into the Hub because it was closed off. If they don't have it available this year, it could be very messy for frontline cast who have no place to send guests once the Hub closes.

The Visionary Soul

All I know is that some of that construction work in the parking lot really needs to be finished by New Year's Eve this year because Disney uses that area as an alternate fireworks viewing area when they reach capacity in the Hub. They do there best to sell that area. For 4th of July this year, they had vendors selling food & drinks, a live DJ, tables and benches, and everything. It looked ugly, but they sold that space very well for people who literally could not get into the Hub because it was closed off. If they don't have it available this year, it could be very messy for frontline cast who have no place to send guests once the Hub closes.
That construction will have little to no impact on the NYE blow-out viewing area.

Jo DeVil

I wouldn't be so sure. The parades are one thing, but Disney's not going to want to gridlock this space any longer than necessary.
Main Street is first and foremost a retail corridor. The entire point of this new pathway project is probably to give guests exiting the park a way to do so without disrupting shoppers' ability to move from retail opportunity to retail opportunity. Traditionally, Disney's strategy has been to funnel guests past the shops so that they take one last swipe at their wallets via the emporium. I can only guess that research has shown that past a certain point, crushing crowds on Main Street negatively impact sales.
If they do it like DLP (which is on both sides) then the shops all have entrances in the Arcades so then don't miss out on the shoppers. Their Main Street bakery also has an entrance from the Arcade and has a few tables and chairs as well. I think it is a good idea, not everyone wants to stay and watch the fireworks and parades, this will help them enter or exit without the hassle of Main St.

Bairstow

Looking at what seems to be the foundation for a substantial building being dug, I have no idea what the plans for this corridor are now.

CaptainJackNO

Probably bev="tl77, post: 5768982, member: 76754"]This is pretty detailed, fan-made, blueprint of the utilidor system, but from the looks of it I don't see why they would need back stage access to the buildings on Main Street since so much of it is underground
4518237312_6a8726afe9_b.jpg
[/quote]
Probably because there's no underground access for merch/food deliveries.

tl77

I thought they used this backstage pathway when they film the annual Christmas parade, and filming this year is from Dec 6th to the 8th, so I'm really curious to see what's going to happen with this project in the next few weeks

raymusiccity

I thought they used this backstage pathway when they film the annual Christmas parade, and filming this year is from Dec 6th to the 8th, so I'm really curious to see what's going to happen with this project in the next few weeks
We've been routed through the backstage pathway before. It seems strictly a relief valve when crowd control is reaching some predetermined limit. We've all thought it was pretty neat; didn't spoil any magic for us.

tl77

We've been routed through the backstage pathway before. It seems strictly a relief valve when crowd control is reaching some predetermined limit. We've all thought it was pretty neat; didn't spoil any magic for us.

I know they use it off and on through out the year, but when they film the Christmas Parade this Backstage area is the only way to get down Main Street. So I'm wondering what they'll do in 3 weeks when they block off Main Street for the parade filming if this backstage area is still under construction. It seems like they'll problems with all the holiday crowds if this area isn't completed by then

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom