New HitchHiking Ghosts Coming to WDW

Atomicmickey

A form of the graveyard will return, Not a fan of the New attic Either, and the bride, shall I start a rumor in a rumor thread???? Hummmmmm, and for the HHG's YOU WILL BE AMAZED and not at all be disapointed

Thanks, Rum Pirate . . . we're in wait and see mode on this one, it's good to hear a positive evaluation as none of us have seen it. I am encouraged.

Rum Pirate

Original Poster
Thanks, Rum Pirate . . . we're in wait and see mode on this one, it's good to hear a positive evaluation as none of us have seen it. I am encouraged.

Thanks, well so far only positive comments here and in the other HM effects post, Lets just call this HHG "B" Mode, as I dont believe Disco Ghosts would be applicable :ROFLOL:

Curious what raven has to say though, as that was my harshest critic :animwink:

I love that when I rode the Mansion today and I saw this effect in place I most defiantly was like "HE WAS RIGHT!"

It doesn't look too horrible and as others have been saying it's temporary and from what I've heard that area and a couple others through out the mansion are getting some new effects. (that are to quote the person I overheard "absolutely amazing")

I know someone here awhile back was mentioning that the buggies would be able to tell if there were people in them and the ghosts would interact with them. I'm assuming this is when that will be implemented.

Great job Rum_Pirate. You hit this one on the head. :sohappy:

Oh and one other thing I forgot to add. We were told that the projected ghosts don't stop so if the mansion goes 101 the ghosts don't stop moving across the screen, I'm sure that has to look awkward.

Skyway

All these new HM upgrades completely baffle me--- especially how it fits into the stereotypical TDO mentality.

A few years ago HM underwent a major renovation. Although many aspects of that refurb were not "necessary", they plussed the experience tremendously.

Now TDO is back at it again, adding even more improvements to HM (including the upgraded queue).

Yet while the HM is getting attention and money heaped on it -- AGAIN! -- POTC continues to deteriorate after the 2005 refurb. Black sheets cover broken effects in BTMRR. Peter Pan's Flight is filthy. SGE continues to exist. And that's just at MK.

So while the constant improvements at HM are very welcome (and are being added at a pace that has been typical practice in Anaheim for many years), other attractions continue to be neglected.

HM is one attraction that must certainly be acceptable as-is in TDO's eyes. I just don't get why they're pouring more resources into it.

Atomicmickey

All these new HM upgrades completely baffle me--- especially how it fits into the stereotypical TDO mentality.

A few years ago HM underwent a major renovation. Although many aspects of that refurb were not "necessary", they plussed the experience tremendously.

Now TDO is back at it again, adding even more improvements to HM (including the upgraded queue).

Yet while the HM is getting attention and money heaped on it -- AGAIN! -- POTC continues to deteriorate after the 2005 refurb. Black sheets cover broken effects in BTMRR. Peter Pan's Flight is filthy. SGE continues to exist. And that's just at MK.

So while the constant improvements at HM are very welcome (and are being added at a pace that has been typical practice in Anaheim for many years), other attractions continue to be neglected.

HM is one attraction that must certainly be acceptable as-is in TDO's eyes. I just don't get why they're pouring more resources into it.

On one hand, I agree and had similar thoughts, on the other hand, hey, someone obviously has a big HM crush in management, and if they want to do more awesome work like they have recently, well, go for it, I guess. If they see good guest results, the fever will spread, hopefully. There are tons of "little" refurbs and polishings going on recently, it seems. I think they are adding up (but I realize that to a lot of people, they have a long way to go until the glass is even half full).

Basically, I find it hard to complain about cool new technology being installed into what is probably my all time favorite WDW attraction, and I hope it spreads to others as well. (Big JC refurb that's been hinted at would be great . . . .)

And for what it's worth, was just there two weeks ago and thought that POTC was in the best working shape I had seen it in years. Everything seemed to be working just right, and there were even HATS! The best part was that the sound mix seemed to be correct, that has been a problem when I've been on it lately, but everything was working last time.

Tom

Beta Return
I'm struggling. I've read everything, and I've watched the videos, but they're not helping.

Here's what I think I'm seeing. Those of you who have actually seen this in person, please correct me:

You come out of the graveyard and up toward the troupe of hitchhikers. Starting then, you're surrounded by temporary black scrims and they're projecting the 3 hitchhikers, thumbing for a ride, right?

Then you turn the corner, and instead of seeing the 3 mirrors, you see another wall-o-black-scrim, on which they're projecting the floating hitchhikers, who attempt to "follow you home" (except in the case of a 101, where they just keep going in a loop). Right?

Meanwhile, what do we think is happening behind the scrims? Are they going to produce a realistic looking image of the thumbing ghosts in that opening? Are they still going to use the mirrors, or is that going to just be a mass of blackness with better looking projections than what they have now?

Just trying to get a handle on this. I am a HUGE fan on the HM - as well as many other classics - and would hate to see them abuse this new technology by "digitizing" everything, but it sounds like this implementation might actually be cool, and not ruin the theme.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm struggling. I've read everything, and I've watched the videos, but they're not helping.

Here's what I think I'm seeing. Those of you who have actually seen this in person, please correct me:

You come out of the graveyard and up toward the troupe of hitchhikers. Starting then, you're surrounded by temporary black scrims and they're projecting the 3 hitchhikers, thumbing for a ride, right?

Then you turn the corner, and instead of seeing the 3 mirrors, you see another wall-o-black-scrim, on which they're projecting the floating hitchhikers, who attempt to "follow you home" (except in the case of a 101, where they just keep going in a loop). Right?

Meanwhile, what do we think is happening behind the scrims? Are they going to produce a realistic looking image of the thumbing ghosts in that opening? Are they still going to use the mirrors, or is that going to just be a mass of blackness with better looking projections than what they have now?

Just trying to get a handle on this. I am a HUGE fan on the HM - as well as many other classics - and would hate to see them abuse this new technology by "digitizing" everything, but it sounds like this implementation might actually be cool, and not ruin the theme.
I am really just guessing here but the only way I see to improve on the current Peppers ghost effect is to create a digital version of it. Instead of looking at a reflection of yourself with a one size fits all ghost in the middle they could have a camera filming your doombuggy and a CG ghost could be added in real time. This would then be projected on the wall.

If this is actually what they are doing I could see a big upside as they could easily have dozens of versions of each of the three ghosts. Which one you get could be based on a number of factors and the ghost could "fit" much better than the current version. Also this would allow an easy integration with the nexgen stuff on the way.

COProgressFan

A

I thought the exact same thing. While any improvements or upgrades to HM are more than welcome, there are SO MANY areas of the MK that need help, as you mentioned. It's odd that they are funneling so much money toward HM when other attractions clearly need it desperately.

MansionGoer13z

Just think in the next few years or maybe sooner... I could see Disney making the HM a 3D ride. I hope this doesn't happen cause the 3D effect is so overrated in my opinion. But what we are currently seeing in the videos though It may be temporary is something that cheapens the effect and scene of the ride and its experience its supposed to invoke.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Well Folks, the Black Screen has gone up and work is underway, I have not seen it yet myself, but I hear its ok for the time being, so is this where the apologies begin???

Really? No one is going to tell this guy they were wrong after calling him out? haha

Indeed, thanks for what seems to have been dead on scoop, Rum Pirate. Your credibility now established with relation to this project, we now have high hopes that result will be as good as you say!

TalkingHead

They're doing it so that they can eventually sell on-ride pictures of you with the hitchhiking ghosts. I'm only guessing, but there must be some profitable reason they're updating HM when, as you said, any number of MK rides need some updating.

WorldKey

Really? No one is going to tell this guy they were wrong after calling him out? haha

I totally agree - a little tired of a lot of members knocking any info that does not originate from a chosen handful of people. Rum Pirate's original post was about changes and was not completely specific but he was absolutely correct!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom