News New Haunted Mansion Grounds Expansion, Retail Shop Coming to Disneyland Resort in 2024

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It could just be my own personal conspiracy theory, but I've long said, and stick by the notion, that if Disneyland thought they could ditch the original Haunted Mansion and just run HMH the whole year round, they would.

And while these are ostensibly unique circumstances, they certainly could end up setting a precedent.

Believe me, I would love to wrong, but HMH fits every single metric modern Disney values in an attraction more than HM does and is demonstrably more popular.
I'm sure from a maintenance stand point there are some that would be in favor of not switching back in forth and just stick with the popular HMH. However I think the backlash would be larger than anything seen with even the most recent attraction rethemes if they got rid of regular HM permanently.

So yeah I can't see them trying to push the Halloween season into July or trying to move the start of HMH into July permanently.

Misted Compass

Best situation for us would be if they found a way to streamline the overlay process so that the transition took less time. This way they could close classic mansion the day after Halloween, and then operate HMH for most of November all the way until New Years.
I believe prepandemic the transition to HMH took only 10 days, so it's entirely possible if they want to put in the effort to.

AJFireman

I believe prepandemic the transition to HMH took only 10 days, so it's entirely possible if they want to put in the effort to.
I Think its the same team that does transition for both Small World and HM. I know they alternate in January when it transitions back . I guess they could do Small World the 10 days before Halloween.

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
They've made efforts but HMH is still a cluster, IMO.

I get the appeal but visually I find it overwhelming and tacky. I know many love it! But, I liken it to that neighbor's Holiday display where an animatronic dancing Santa shares space with a 1950s blowmold baby Jesus nativity scene with a plush Peanuts Snoopy doll resting on the roof of the stable. I wouldn't go so far as to declare it a sacrilege, but it's similar. NBC is awesome in its own right. Combined it's a mess. And it doesn't have to be. There's elements that work. But I wish they could strike the right balance. Seems like every year they try to outdo themselves with more "litter theming" and I hate it!

Last edited:

mickEblu

They've made efforts but HMH is still a cluster, IMO.

I get the appeal but visually I find it overwhelming and tacky. I know many love it! But, I liken it to that neighbor's Holiday display where an animatronic dancing Santa shares space with a 1950s blowmold baby Jesus nativity scene complete with with a plush Peanuts Snoopy doll resting on the roof of the stable. I wouldn't go so far as to declare it a sacrilege, but it's similar. NBC is awesome in its own right. Combined it's a mess. And it doesn't have to be. There's elements that work. But I wish they could strike the right balance. Seems like every year they try to outdo themselves with more "litter theming" and I hate it!

To each there own. Mileage may vary.

Every single scene is so much less effective than the originals. I like IASW holiday as it adds to the spirit of the original attraction. HMH completely alters the tone of the original and takes a classic attraction offline for 5 months a year. Which in itself is a crime. Go overlay Buzz or something. Why doesn’t Autopia get Christmasified every year?

Castle Cake Apologist

It's definitely projections and not physical pepper's ghost effect. This confirms we are getting digital hitch hiking ghosts soon.

As much as I love the physical effect, I think a digital version if done tastefully could surpass the original. If it’s simply a recreation using a hologram, the colors and lighting could likely do things that the pepper’s ghost never could. In recent years, the original effect often appeared faded and washed out. I’m not sure if this was due to a lack of maintenance on the lighting system, but hopefully the digital version will be more consistent.

Minor correction, but the HHGs have never been a Pepper's Ghost effect. They're just mannequins rotating in perfect synch with the Doombuggies on a carousel behind two way mirrors. Brilliantly simple and incredibly effective.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

120 minute wait, up to group 483.

IMG_2701.jpeg

CraftyFox

To be honest, I was never too keen on the placement of the hearse directly in front of the Mansion steps. It always seemed like a bit of an eyesore. I much prefer that placement over its current location though! It really needs some atmospheric shade. At the moment, it’s pretty washed out by the California sunlight.

Nland316

Some great before and after here.

I didn’t realize how many trees we actually ended up losing in the first portion of the queue. That’s really the only general thing I’m not a fan of.. they could’ve done whatever to the extended / back portion, but it’s going to be quite away for any new foliage to mature in the entry area.

Not necessarily bad, but not really a home run either. HM has had a bad history with losing planter space which is unfortunate.

mickEblu

In projection form. All that means is they haven't changed the projection. Not a bad sign, but also could mean nothing.

The figure is actually still there. You can seeing him hanging in some videos. But it doesn’t mean that he will still be there when Classic Mansion opens back up next year. With that said, I’m definitely happy to see he’s still there. Better than him not being there and it being confirmed he’s gone.

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
The figure is actually still there. You can seeing him hanging in some videos. But it doesn’t mean that he will still be there when Classic Mansion opens back up next year. With that said, I’m definitely happy to see he’s still there. Better than him not being there and it being confirmed he’s gone.
Sure? Looks like projection to me as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom