News New Haunted Mansion Grounds Expansion, Retail Shop Coming to Disneyland Resort in 2024

mickEblu

Now that the iconic lawn in the queue is astroturf, I would fully support them ripping it and replacing it with theme appropriate plants.

Same here although I was hoping for the return of real grass. Definitely prefer real plants to astroturf but what I’m wondering is if that left lawn is reworked all together. Still don’t know exactly what I’m looking at in that concept art showing the extended queue.

waltography

I hope the extended queue doesn't have the gadgets of the Florida version. Disneyland is beyond that kind of thing. However I hope the store is themed to a carriage house.
I doubt it; Disney's long moved away from the interactive queue concept and instead put all the interactivity into the DisneyParks Play app, so we're safe from any particularly intrusive kiddie areas.

The store will be themed to a carriage house, that was stated in the blog post.

Isn't Mansion one of those attractions that rarely had a long queue until the introduction of Fastpass messed things up and created a lot of entry space? Similar to Indy where everyone waits outside now and the interior caves are largely empty.

Is this just a solution to a problem Disney created?
Yes and no. I think the HMH overlay contributes to the congestion problem way more, but that's a seasonal thing.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

After waiting in them multiple days when it was over 90 degrees this summer? Absolutely not.

Florida's tarps are ugly as sin, but at least the guests are covered!

I've undoubtedly gotten a sunburn standing back there on a sunny day. But there's something about those ugly, indefensibly chintzy switchbacks that I've always enjoyed.

(I'm 100% on board with replacing them, of course)

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

So if Disney actually uses this extended queue each day, we will no longer see Mansion's line stretch into the main midway, right? And this will put an end to CMs harassing guests to invade each other's personal space?

ParkPeeker

IMG_3835.png

IMG_3836.png

it’s hard to find a good aerial photo, anyways did these crude edits on mobile, something like this, *i think*

ParkPeeker

Thank you! I think that’s close. So it does eat into the lawn but I wouldn’t say it changes the view much. At least not from the front gates.
If I’m interpreting the art and/or TPs explanations correctly, it doesn’t eat into the lawn at all and the grass shown in the art is the very end of it.

mickEblu

If I’m interpreting the art and/or TPs explanations correctly, it doesn’t eat into the lawn at all and the grass shown in the art is the very end of it.

So is everything circled in red in the pic below currently part of Magnolia Park/ the switchback area on busy days closest to perimeter of HM. That would mean the front gates need to move out too wouldn’t it? Or I guess that brick wall you see in the Magnolia park concept art just kind of oddly sticks out a bit. I’ve never had such a hard time visualizing concept art.

CFAF98D3-AA66-4CF7-B124-3F3C28AF8818.jpeg

TP2000

Oh wow. Im so confused. I thought I was looking at the back left corner of the Mansion.

No, in the WDI artwork they just released, we are looking at the Southeast corner of the Mansion. The corner that faces towards the Treehouse and entrance to Pirates.

So that means that existing path will end up being shortened and make its turn at the front left corner of the Mansion? Are you sure? If you are correct then that new extended queue does indeed eat into the left lawn… I think.

I don't think so. Again, artistic liberties were taken with the existing pathway along the front of the Mansion before it turns due west to lead us into those ugly 1969 switchbacks.

All of that should stay the same. There's no point in moving that path, because it would only reduce the amount of space available for the ugly switchbacks on the west side of that brick wall.

View attachment 739917
View attachment 739918

it’s hard to find a good aerial photo, anyways did these crude edits on mobile, something like this, *i think*

That's about it. Very well done.

Smudge the edges and scale just a bit due to the artistic liberties taken in the WDI concept art, and that's what we're getting.

It doesn't. And it shouldn't. To do so would negate the whole reason for this entire project; to smooth out the kinks of the Haunted Mansion line operation that often extends out into the surrounding New Orleans area and Magnolia Park.

As well as including a new elevator shaft next to the train tracks, down to the loading area complex beneath the berm, to allow easier egress for folks in wheelchairs. A win-win.

TP2000

What in the world? Why would Disney do this when the Haunted Mansion Movie is flopping terribly at the box office? Why?

The only thing that horrible movie flop will impact is what souvenirs they'll stock on the shelves at the exit gift shop. 🤣

Luckily, we won't be shopping for "Vanilla Scented Candles" in that gift shop, and instead will have a full range of classic Walt Disney's Haunted Mansion merchandise to choose from. Plus Jack Skellington stuff from Labor Day to New Year's Day.

Otherwise, all of this area reworking and plussing up around the Mansion has been long overdue for at least two decades.

mickEblu

No, in the WDI artwork they just released, we are looking at the Southeast corner of the Mansion. The corner that faces towards the Treehouse and entrance to Pirates.

I don't think so. Again, artistic liberties were taken with the existing pathway along the front of the Mansion before it turns due west to lead us into those ugly 1969 switchbacks.

All of that should stay the same. There's no point in moving that path, because it would only reduce the amount of space available for the ugly switchbacks on the west side of that brick wall.

That's about it. Very well done.

Smudge the edges and scale just a bit due to the artistic liberties taken in the WDI concept art, and that's what we're getting.

It doesn't. And it shouldn't. To do so would negate the whole reason for this entire project; to smooth out the kinks of the Haunted Mansion line operation that often extends out into the surrounding New Orleans area and Magnolia Park.

As well as including a new elevator shaft next to the train tracks, down to the loading area complex beneath the berm, to allow easier egress for folks in wheelchairs.

So are we seeing the entirety of the extended queue in the concept art? Is that greenhouse butted against the berm? If so it just seems off

TP2000

So are we seeing the entirety of the extended queue in the concept art? Is that greenhouse butted against the berm? If so it just seems off

No, the new "greenhouse" that will shelter the wheelchair elevator is butted (that's a funny word, isn't it?) against the railroad tracks. The railroad tracks are then butted (there it is again) against the berm itself.

The greenhouse sits roughly where the currently abandoned Fastpass Distribution area is. Immediately south of the switchbacks, and immediately east of the railroad tracks.

Let me see if I can't find a better photo. It's hard to see because all the aerial photos available on Google are obscured by all those damn 60 year old trees. 🤣

mickEblu

No, the new "greenhouse" that will shelter the wheelchair elevator is butted (that's a funny word, isn't it?) against the railroad tracks. The railroad tracks are then butted (there it is again) against the berm itself.

The greenhouse sits roughly where the currently abandoned Fastpass Distribution area is. Immediately south of the switchbacks, and immediately east of the railroad tracks.

Let me see if I can't find a better photo. It's hard to see because all the aerial photos available on Google are obscured by all those damn 60 year old trees. 🤣

Ah ok! I get it now. So basically everything circled in red below is currently Magnolia Park and old FP distribution area. Man, I was so disoriented. Thank you. How many feet of Magnolia Park do you think that extended queue is absorbing?

B6D8C57E-8345-45F1-9773-323F5FFC3D7D.jpeg

mickEblu

Ah ok! I get it now. So basically everything circled in red below is currently Magnolia Park and old FP distribution area. Man, I was so disoriented. Thank you. How many feet of Magnolia Park do you think that extended queue is absorbing?

View attachment 739924

Wait a minute how could the greenhouse be butted against the railroad tracks? Where are the current switchbacks @TP2000. Some or at least half of that greenhouse area must be from the current switchback area right? Something is either off with this art or off with my brain. I’m having a hard time placing the current switchback area in the art. The train doesn’t deviate there at such a sharp angle. Maybe I should take a nap and take a look again tomorrow. Lol

TP2000

View attachment 739924

Yes, exactly.

At risk of disorienting the gang here even more, I made these two aerial overviews.

This first one is the Haunted Mansion line and extended line setup for roughly the 20 years from 2000 until Fastpass went away in 2019. It included the original, and largely untouched, 1969 facility inside the Mansion gates, as a person would walk through it via the red line. But it also includes an extra red line that weaved through "Magnolia Park" (the M.P. to the south of the Mansion) on busy days and/or during Haunted Mansion Holiday season. The Fastpass distribution area they added in the early 2000's is seen outlined in green, directly south of the original switchbacks and sitting just to the north and east of the Disneyland Railroad tracks and the New Orleans station of the Disneyland Railroad.

Haunted Mansion extended line and Fastpass circa 2000-2019:

2010 Setup.jpg

Then, we have the new setup in this same area. Assuming this new walled off corner of what is now Magnolia Park becomes extended line space on busy days, this is how the similar setup will be used. This walled garden area probably has more to do with construction needs around the adjacent elevator shaft, or perhaps needs for Jack Skellington meet n' greet areas. Or, worst case, some sort of hokey interactive pre-show like they have in Florida.

And instead of the abandoned Fastpass Distribution machines sitting there unused, a new greenhouse will be built to contain the upper level of the elevator shaft that leads down to the loading area sunk beneath the berm. So that folks in wheelchairs can exit the ride in the loading area, but then rejoin The Living World in an elevator that has some sort of nice post-show for them as they exit to the south of the Mansion.

Haunted Mansion Plussed Up Line & Wheelchair Elevator Exit Circa 2024:
2024 Overview.jpg

Meanwhile, everyone else who isn't in a wheelchair exits as normally on the north side of the Mansion, on the other side of this image, conveniently dumping them out at a new Carriage House themed exit gift shop.

Last edited:

TP2000

Wait a minute how could the greenhouse be butted against the railroad tracks? Where are the current switchbacks @TP2000. Some or at least half of that greenhouse area must be from the current switchback area right? Something is either off with this art or off with my brain. I’m having a hard time placing the current switchback area in the art. The train doesn’t deviate there at such a sharp angle. Maybe I should take a nap and take a look again tomorrow. Lol

Does this help? I've outlined the existing DLRR tracks in blue. The station platform itself is just out of frame, to the south of this image. The new ADA Elevator under the "greenhouse" is in green alongside the tracks just north of the station, where the Fastpass area is now.

The DLRR tracks enter a tunnel just north of the Fastpass Distribution garden, soon to be the ADA Elevator greenhouse, and go inside the berm as it passes directly to the west of the 1969 switchback area.

DLRR Placement.jpg

mickEblu

Does this help? I've outlined the existing DLRR tracks in blue. The station platform itself is just out of frame, to the south of this image. The new ADA Elevator under the "greenhouse" is in green alongside the tracks just north of the station, where the Fastpass area is now.

The DLRR tracks enter a tunnel just north of the Fastpass Distribution garden, soon to be the ADA Elevator greenhouse, and go inside the berm as it passes directly to the west of the 1969 switchback area.

View attachment 739929

Thank you TP! You are doin the lords work. Makes a lot of sense on your last few pictures/ posts. It was hard for me to make sense of it on the concept art.

TP2000

Thank you TP! You are doin the lords work. Makes a lot of sense on your last few pictures/ posts. It was hard for me to make sense of it on the concept art.

Oh, thank God. 🤣

Since 6:00pm I've been sipping some Gnarly Head Chardonnay, a humble weeknight wine for hot weather.

With all that I've done for the gang here on this exciting Haunted Mansion upgrade topic, may I finish off the bottle now and consider it a job well done? :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom