News New Haunted Mansion Grounds Expansion, Retail Shop Coming to Disneyland Resort in 2024

Phroobar

I see little reason to return to these parks anymore. It's a test of endurance. Will the experiences I love still be there next time? Will they feel respected?

The answer is a rare yes.
It is definitely an endurance test. Theme parks in general are becoming way too packed. As we get older, it isn't as much fun. Kids can get burned out on Disneyland. They turn into teenagers and they want magic mountain for some reason.

Professortango1

Haunted Mansion Holiday shouldn’t even exist until November. The idea of having it open in July is asinine.
It needs to be there for Halloween, so it would be odd to change it for Halloween..Change back to classic for Nov, then back to HMH for Dec.

HMH is my fave Halloween attraction. It checks all of the boxes so perfectly. Can't imagine going back to normal HM for the one holiday it should be celebrating.

Consumer

It needs to be there for Halloween, so it would be odd to change it for Halloween..Change back to classic for Nov, then back to HMH for Dec.

HMH is my fave Halloween attraction. It checks all of the boxes so perfectly. Can't imagine going back to normal HM for the one holiday it should be celebrating.
HMH is not a Halloween attraction.

PiratesMansion

HMH is my fave Halloween attraction. It checks all of the boxes so perfectly. Can't imagine going back to normal HM for the one holiday it should be cecelebrating.
I'd argue that HMH is more of a Christmas attraction because we're wished a Scary Christmas both in writing and in song, there are Christmas lights (even if they're Halloween colored), Jack is playing Santy Claus, etc.

By contrast, the OG version is truly perfect for Halloween, which is why it's a travesty to me that there's only one place on the world tou can actually ride the original attraction in October.

Consumer

Jack O.Lanterns, candles, string lights, skulls, black ribbon, tarot cards, creepier narration....seems pretty Halloweeny to me. It's not Halloween until I ride HMH. Sure that's true for many others.
Can you please read aloud for the jury what is written at the loading area ?
1719444909391.png

Professortango1

I'd argue that HMH is more of a Christmas attraction because we're wished a Scary Christmas both in writing and in song, there are Christmas lights (even if they're Halloween colored), Jack is playing Santy Claus, etc.

By contrast, the OG version is truly perfect for Halloween, which is why it's a travesty to me that there's only one place on the world tou can actually ride the original attraction in October.
It's both. Christmas and Halloween mashed up.

HM doesn't feel Halloweeny other than being a haunted house theme. It doesn't feel like it is celebrating a holiday like HMH does.

mickEblu

For me? Yes. Jack o' lanterns, flickering candles, colorful lights. Skulls and decor, a sense of mischievous glee. A are present in HMH and not really featured in classic mansion. Except a few flickering candles here and there.

I see what you re saying in regards to it not feeling like the actual holiday of Halloween but all of that stuff is negated by the Christmas stuff. Personally an attraction that feels like trick or treating doesn’t appeal to me. They can save that sort of stuff for Main Street.

PiratesMansion

For me? Yes. Jack o' lanterns, flickering candles, colorful lights. Skulls and decor, a sense of mischievous glee. A are present in HMH and not really featured in classic mansion. Except a few flickering candles here and there.
Colorful lights don't traditionally fit well in haunted houses, so it really doesn't bother me that they aren't present. Colorful lights fit with modern Halloween *decor* but not really Halloween spooky *ambiance* IMO.

Additionally, I'd say mischievious glee would very much describe the OG Ghost Host's personality, especially when compared to the HMH Ghost Host, who doesn't really embody that same spirit but instead seems to have swallowed a rhyming dictionary and mistaken that for a personality in the process.

Professortango1

Colorful lights don't traditionally fit well in haunted houses, so it really doesn't bother me that they aren't present. Colorful lights fit with modern Halloween *decor* but not really Halloween spooky *ambiance* IMO.

Additionally, I'd say mischievious glee would very much describe the OG Ghost Host's personality, especially when compared to the HMH Ghost Host, who doesn't really embody that same spirit but instead seems to have swallowed a rhyming dictionary and mistaken that for a personality in the process.
Go watch the original Suspiria and tell me that bright lighting doesn't belong in haunted houses. The use of bright colored lights dates back to the Gran Guignol Theatre in France.

And the HMH Ghost Host feels far more fiendish to me. Like he is taking sick delight. The original narration is far more subtle and like your guide. The layover music and narration seem to build more and have a more active energy. I love it.

Like I said, it doesn't feel like Halloween until I've ridden HMH.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
FYI, the reason they're replacing the HHG is it's very frequently broken. For instance, every time the ride slows down/stops to let mobility-impaired guests on, they must fully reset the HHG system to ensure it remains synced. Also, since the system itself breaks frequently. For instance, I went to Disneyland last June, and rode the Mansion at least 5 times. I did not get a hitchhiking ghost once. For this reason, they're replacing them with screens to ensure that it's always synced, always working, and every guest gets a ghost.

Consumer

FYI, the reason they're replacing the HHG is it's very frequently broken. For instance, every time the ride slows down/stops to let mobility-impaired guests on, they must fully reset the HHG system to ensure it remains synced. Also, since the system itself breaks frequently. For instance, I went to Disneyland last June, and rode the Mansion at least 5 times. I did not get a hitchhiking ghost once. For this reason, they're replacing them with screens to ensure that it's always synced, always working, and every guest gets a ghost.
Not once has this happened to me in all my years of visiting Disneyland. If this was really an issue, it could be solved with proper maintenance. Sounds to me like Disney is ruining another attraction by cutting costs.

Avastindy

Not once has this happened to me in all my years of visiting Disneyland. If this was really an issue, it could be solved with proper maintenance. Sounds to me like Disney is ruining another attraction by cutting costs.
Same here, never once have I never NOT gotten a HHG. been going years. They always looked like there was a mechanical way that the HHG and the doom buggies were synced, where no computer programming was needed. But I haven’t been in years since 2019. So maybe the budget cuts to maintenance are showing now.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I’ll second this. MagicKey/ AP holder for 10 years and have been going to Disneyland and riding HM my whole life.

EDIT: come to think of it I’m vaguely remembering maybe one time but that’s it.

Last edited:

CaptinEO

I believe the same mechanism that moves the ride vehicles is directly connected into the mechanism that moves the ghosts. Don't think it requires a manual reset in any way. Stops and starts to the ride don't change this and are normal for Haunted Mansion.

I've been on the ride many times in my life and have always had the ghosts. Not that I'm discounting your experience, maybe something was wrong when you went. But this is not normal at all.

Also I'd argue a digital screen effect has a higher likelihood of failure.

Last edited:

Professortango1

Seems like it would be smarter figure out a way to have a gap every so many doombuggies to allow a handicap accessible version slot in and out without the need to stop the overall flow. Because stopping the ride 2 times per ride isn't a long-term solution if it has been for far too long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom