News New Haunted Mansion Grounds Expansion, Retail Shop Coming to Disneyland Resort in 2024

DavidDL

I kind of like HMH, but it sort of feels like the original "let's shoehorn an IP into a place it doesn't really belong" attraction. It kinda sorta works better than it has any right to, and naturally Disney went bananas from there doing the same thing to every ride they could get away with.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily a harmonious combination, and more often than not the Nightmare stuff is front and center over the bones of the original ride. I mean, they literally used to put "Ho ho ho" light-up signs in front of the busts. While much of what is normally there remains, your eye is inevitably drawn to the Nightmare stuff (which tends to be loud and flashy), not the more subtle effects of the original show.

Much like IASW, in a way. Yes, technically the original dolls are there and one could ostensibly choose to ignore the characters if they so chose, but that's not really a possibility in practice, because the characters are inserted into prominent points of each scene and there are musical cues reinforcing each character's presence. You are forced to acknowledge the presence of those characters whether you want to or not, and by consequence everything else-including a huge portion of those animatronics, setpieces, etc. that matter in the original incarnation of the attraction become secondary, arguably demoted to extra. Disney may have once marketed HMH or adding the characters to IASW as easter eggs or enhancements, but the reality is that their presence turns the emphasis of the original attraction on its head because the ride will not allow you to ignore them. They become the focal point, at the expense of everything else.

And again, I like HMH and would be fine with it if it was more of a Nov-Dec exclusive. But I don't really agree that at it's core it's just an enhanced version of the normal Mansion. It actively works against the spirit of the original ride too much for that to be the case.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, I wasn’t trying to say that it is Mansion 2.0. Even though I enjoy the overlay more.

To me, it’s still mansion. Of course the Nightmare characters are going to be at the forefront of the changeover. That’s unavoidable in an overlay of this nature. What I mean to say, if it makes any sense, is that I appreciate that this isn’t just “the Nightmare ride”. It’s the.. “Nightmare characters came to decorate the Haunted Mansion, ride”. To me, the mansion is an integral part of the story telling of the overlay. Yes, elements are changed or covered up but it’s because of Guest’s knowledge of the attraction underneath that the stuff on top during the holidays is so much fun because it puts a fun twist on what came before.

I would use the changing portrait hallway as an example of this. Aside from the one image used that actually changes during the film, this area features largely original works that change because, why? It isn’t something the film dictates should happen or has as a regular occurrence. They could have just thrown a really long “Naughty and Nice” list over the pictures and saved themselves some work. Instead, this area features changing Nightmare portraits because Mansion wants/is known for changing portraits here.

What I’m trying I guess to say, is that I feel like the Nightmare side of the overlays DNA requires the mansions DNA for any of it to work. And when looked at thru that lens, it still very much feels like the mansion, to me. I mean, it has to be. Because if it’s not, then the context of the ride wouldn’t make any sense. This isn’t Jack replacing the Haunted Mansion for a few months. It’s he and others visiting the mansion we already know and bringing a holiday celebration to its residents that is more their speed than what you’d find over at “it’s a small world”.

And I think that’s fun. When something like the Hatbox Ghost went in, my mind inevitably went to: I wonder what gifts Sandy Claws will end up bringing him for Christmas?

Late edit/addition: I understand you and many others may feel differently. I’m sorry if the spirit of the original attraction doesn’t shine through brightly enough during the holidays for you to consider it a worthwhile addition to the parks. If, in general, you consider HMH to sort of just be a “shoehorned” IP, then there is probably little I can do to make you think otherwise about it. But I certainly disagree. I think it is one of the more thoughtful additions to their seasonal offerings or library of overlays. I respect that you may feel different. But if I can, as a super fan of it, at least try to understand and acknowledge why many would prefer to see the amount of months it runs reduced, hopefully you can at least try to see what myself and others see in the overlay that makes it special to us. Thankfully, this isn’t a case of something like Tower of Terror vs. Mission: Breakout!, where one has gone to Yesterland or something.

Last edited:

duncedoof

Haunted Mansion vs Haunted Mansion Holiday

1719342662434.jpeg

Avastindy

So I work at my local school, pretty near to Disneyland. So the last thing I ever expect is to get stories and info from within the walls of Disneyland.
So a couple weeks ago, I’m in my office minding my own business, when an off site district employee walks in to do some testing for a student. The first thing she noticed was my Haunted Mansion themed shelf. She commented on it and said “Oh my husband was just in there the other day.” I was puzzled and asked her how is that possible. “Oh he’s working inside the mansion, he installs camera equipment and projectors.” My heart sank and I questioned her further. “He’s working primarily in that elevator room and the end with the ghosts.”
I explained to her what I’ve heard online and she said that they are replacing the hanging host as a screen with fluttering bats as the climax. I thought it sounded odd due to HMH already having a screen there. But I didn’t say much to that. The HHG however sounds like the WDW effect coming here officially.

I don’t know if any of this has already been said on here. But I wanted to share what I was told. Take this info with what you will.

Last edited:

mickEblu

So I work at my local school, pretty near to Disneyland. So the last thing I ever expect is to get stories and info from within the walls of Disneyland.
So a couple weeks ago, I’m in my office minding my own business, when an off site employee walks in to do some testing for a student. The first thing she noticed was my Haunted Mansion themed shelf. She commented on it and said “Oh my husband was just in there the other day.” I was puzzled and asked her how is that possible. “Oh he’s working inside the mansion, he installs camera equipment and projectors.” My heart sank and I questioned her further. “He’s working primarily in that elevator room and the end with the ghosts.”
I explained to her what I’ve heard online and she said that they are replacing the hanging host as a screen with fluttering bats as the climax. I thought it sounded odd due to HMH already having a screen there. But I didn’t say much to that. The HHG however sounds like the WDW effect coming here officially.

I don’t know if any of this has already been said on here. But I wanted to share what I was told. Take this info with what you will.

Jesus Christ. Hoping she conflated the screen climax for HM with the screen for HMH. Are there bats on that scene/screen with the big Jack Skellington head?

zipadee999

Jesus Christ. Hoping she conflated the screen climax for HM with the screen for HMH. Are there bats on that scene/screen with the big Jack Skellington head?
I do know that the HMH ceiling projection was pretty low-res and pixelated, hopefully they’re just redoing the animation for the overlay. It’ll be sad enough losing the iconic hanging man, but even sadder seeing him replaced with a cheap screen which I’d assume will be there just to make the transition to and from the overlay easier.

mickEblu

I do know that the HMH ceiling projection was pretty low-res and pixelated, hopefully they’re just redoing the animation for the overlay. It’ll be sad enough losing the iconic hanging man, but even sadder seeing him replaced with a cheap screen which I’d assume will be there just to make the transition to and from the overlay easier.

It would be a tragedy. This is how they follow up ruining the other classic attraction next door? By possibly ruining two of the most iconic scenes on HM? We've all been bracing for their worst so hearing this story from @Avastindy is depressing. I can totally see it happening. They replaced the vultures on Splash with a screen. Granted, the hanging man is much more iconic but never underestimate how arrogant ands tone deaf modern Disney/ WDI can be.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

It would be a tragedy. This is how they follow up ruining the other classic attraction next door? By possibly ruining two of the most iconic scenes on HM? We've all been bracing for their worst so hearing this story from @Avastindy is depressing. I can totally see it happening. They replaced the vultures on Splash with a screen. Granted, the hanging man is much more iconic but never underestimate how arrogant ands tone deaf modern Disney/ WDI can be.

Hate to be endlessly pessimistic, but after Tiana’s “They Can Play” Adventure, nothing should surprise us.

Unless someone with clout like Kim Irvine steps in to save it, I’m not expecting the hanging man to be there next January. WDI is lost.

mickEblu

Hate to be endlessly pessimistic, but after Tiana’s “They Can Play” Adventure, nothing should surprise us.

Unless someone with clout like Kim Irvine steps in to save it, I’m not expecting the hanging man to be there next January. WDI is lost.

Lol @ They can play Adventure. It’s still hard to believe the final product that they delivered. Creatives that are supposed to be amongst the best in the world.

So the hanging skeleton is “problematic” but What’s one good reason to tinker with the hitchhiking Ghosts scene?

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

So the hanging skeleton is “problematic” but What’s one good reason to tinker with the hitchhiking Ghosts scene?

There isn’t one. Seems like WDI tinkering simply to justify their existence. Kind of like adding the Hatbox Ghost to MK’s Endless Hallway. It’s something they can announce and promote, with minimal financial investment and little risk of negative feedback (since the attraction is already so popular and most guests won’t notice how lazy it is).

mickEblu

There isn’t one. Seems like WDI tinkering simply to justify their existence. Kind of like adding the Hatbox Ghost to MK’s Endless Hallway. It’s something they can announce and promote, with minimal financial investment and little risk of negative feedback (since the attraction is already so popular and most guests won’t notice how lazy it is).

I cant understand why someone like Bruce Vaughn wouldn't put a stop to something like this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom