News New Haunted Mansion Grounds Expansion, Retail Shop Coming to Disneyland Resort in 2024

BrianLo

A recent report adding fuel to the fire is that a screen with bats would be replacing the ceiling/ hanging corpse in the classic version of Mansion.

That's what I meant. That telephone game of that woman whose husband was installing a screen just seems like he was installing the Haunted Mansion Holiday screen.

Timing wise it would make sense and she's literally describing the HMH scene. I think it's incredibly dubious to believe otherwise without better evidence.

It also doesn't make much sense to have the classic version completely cover up the scene (whether the contents of the scene change).

mickEblu

That's what I meant. That telephone game of that woman whose husband was installing a screen just seems like he was installing the Haunted Mansion Holiday screen.

Timing wise it would make sense and she's literally describing the HMH scene. I think it's incredibly dubious to believe otherwise without better evidence.

It also doesn't make much sense to have the classic version completely cover up the scene (whether the contents of the scene change).

Again, it’s not just one report. There’s a few things contributing to the fear of this being true. Please scroll up and see my response to Pirates Mansion.

mickEblu

I'm not dismissing a scene change entirely, I'm questioning the very HMH sounding installation of a scene.

Just that one tweet description clearly sounds like HMH in a bad game of telephone.

Could be. But there is a lot of noise from various sources and permits have shown that the rumors about the HHG scene changes are most likely true. I also don’t trust Disney/ WDI at all these days so there’s that.

My first thought (like you) when I read that same rumor/ story was hope that they conflated the HMH stretching room scene with classic Mansion. There are no bats in the HMH version though so that’s one point against it being HMH. Why change that scene for HMH? They have enough on their plate. Anyway, it’s about the accumulation of stories, rumors, permits and Disneys recent track record. Not about any one story in particular.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
This is what I was thinking, that its a replacement screen/scrim for the TBC overlay specifically not removal of the hanging corpse.
Could easily be for both. Saves them from having to remove/reinstall prop and switching back and forth between OG mansion and HMH mansion. Plus it just sounds like something they'd do to save time/money. Remove prop, replace with rearprojection scrim that can work with both versions. Not saying that's what's happening, but it sounds like it from the random X tweet.

"...she said that they are replacing the hanging ghost as a screen with fluttering bats as the climax.."

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Could easily be for both. Saves them from having to remove/reinstall switching back and forth between OG mansion and HMH mansion. Plus it just sounds like something they'd do. Remove prop, replace with projection screen that can work with both versions. Not saying that's what's happening but it sounds like it from the random X tweet.
Anything is possible I suppose.

Consumer

Exactly, as @BrianLo said its sounding like a bad game of telephone.
I'd agree. I think there's a lot of validity to the rumor of the hanging man being removed, but there's a lot of details that are missing. I'll wait until more is revealed to get angry over this potential change.

The hitchhiking ghosts, on the other hand, seem pretty much confirmed by every source I've seen, which is the true tragedy of this refurbishment and I feel not enough people are upset about it.

Nland316

Am I the only one who thinks removing the hanging corpse is.. not that big of a deal?

Unnecessary? Sure. But I don’t think this compromises the attraction for me in the any type of way. It’s lower on the list of controversial changes imo.

I find Disney characters on IASW and the updated auctioneer scene in Pirates way more intrusive than this.

My only caveat is that I hope they leave the physical space / scrim intact, and not turn it into purely a screen. Apart from that, I really don’t mind if they keep or lose it.

Last edited:

Avastindy

When I had the conversation with the woman, we talked a bit about Disneyland and all the things that have been going on there. Then the conversation switched to Haunted Mansion, and that was when she talked about the changes her husband mentioned to her.

The tone in which she told me about the stretching room changes, came off as sadness. Like significant changes that would be obvious.

I’m taking this all with a grain of salt of course. I don’t believe everyone right out the gate, but she seemed to me as genuine and believable. But we will wait and see what does eventually transpire.

PiratesMansion

But you know as well as I do that his fear isn’t based on just one post/ report but on an accumulation of posts from various sources/ people (including one insider I believe), permits* and Disneys recent track record and stance on any scenes/ attractions at the parks that might be deemed “problematic.” Why you pretend not to know that or leave that out of your post is odd.

*Permits indicating HHG scene changes part of rumors are true. Not sure if we’ve seen permits for stretching room.
I have to be honest and say that I don't really remember a whole lot being said beyond "there will be changes" and something appearing to be happening with the Hitchhiking Ghosts.

But as far as I know, everything with the stretching room is coming entirely from AvastIndy's post/account. Which is not to discredit them, but as far as I know they are the only source of this information and because many are predisposed to assume that even one sniff of a negative rumor (or one perceived as such) is obviously gospel because OF COURSE Disney would ruin something for no reason. There is also the possibility that AvastIndy is posting this in good faith and his source just happened to be making it up (some people having a habit of inventing stories just for the heck of it, you know). All I'm saying is that unless there is additional information that I'm not remembering, it seems like we're putting an awful lot of credence on the information of one person, and one person who (again, not intending to be disrespectful here, just pointing it out) hasn't been posting here all that long. It just feels like there's little interest in vetting sources if it seems to support the underlying narrative people have that, for the _______th time, big bad Disney is just going to come in and muck everything up, leading always to the Worst Possible Outcome.

If there's something I'm missing that proves this is happening beyond that poster's account, AND that it 100% could not simply be something being done in reference to HMH, I'm all ears. If it turns out I'm wrong, it turns out I'm wrong. But until then, until we have more information (and/or the thing is open again), it seems to me like we're ready to throw out the baby with the bathwater based on very little.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I wouldn’t even put it past them to alter the audio/ narration at this point. Wouldn’t bet money on it in this case but wouldn’t be shocked.

I'm curious how this will make sense.

"There's always my way..." *bats fly around*

How is that a way out? I don't get it.

You’ve both stumbled upon the most upsetting thing WDI could do, haha.

“This chamber has no windows and no doors, which leaves you this chilling challenge: to find a way out!”

Bats! A scream!

“Oh, I didn’t mean to frighten you prematurely…”

Avastindy

I have to be honest and say that I don't really remember a whole lot being said beyond "there will be changes" and something appearing to be happening with the Hitchhiking Ghosts.

But as far as I know, everything with the stretching room is coming entirely from AvastIndy's post/account. Which is not to discredit them, but as far as I know they are the only source of this information and because many are predisposed to assume that even one sniff of a negative rumor (or one perceived as such) is obviously gospel because OF COURSE Disney would ruin something for no reason. There is also the possibility that AvastIndy is posting this in good faith and his source just happened to be making it up (some people having a habit of inventing stories just for the heck of it, you know). All I'm saying is that unless there is additional information that I'm not remembering, it seems like we're putting an awful lot of credence on the information of one person, and one person who (again, not intending to be disrespectful here, just pointing it out) hasn't been posting here all that long. It just feels like there's little interest in vetting sources if it seems to support the underlying narrative people have that, for the _______th time, big bad Disney is just going to come in and muck everything up, leading always to the Worst Possible Outcome.

If there's something I'm missing that proves this is happening beyond that poster's account, AND that it 100% could not simply be something being done in reference to HMH, I'm all ears. If it turns out I'm wrong, it turns out I'm wrong. But until then, until we have more information (and/or the thing is open again), it seems to me like we're ready to throw out the baby with the bathwater based on very little.
I respect your constructive criticism of the information I’ve relayed. And as for me, I know I’m a fairly new account. I’ve merely been on the side of “lurker.” More so watching from the wings. I’m not a very sociable guy when it comes to being online, but I do share a love of Disneyland just as everyone here.

When it comes to the information, I am relaying it in good faith. I have no intent to make things up, I see no purpose in doing so. You are correct that some people do love to make things up for a good chuckle, or to embellish to fluff up a story. But this woman seemed genuine to me anyway. I’m just waiting to see what they do to the mansion.

I just thought I’d share what she said. That’s all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom