New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

Stripes

If you disagree, let's discuss what makes this coaster special. From the description I just read, it sounds pretty unspectacular and an attempt by Universal to, once again, produce a barely passable "E-ticket" for the sake of printing cash.

I'll give them this: it'll be much better than SDD, but substantially less than I would expect from a new Harry Potter attraction.

Last edited:

Bairstow

If the rumors about a reversed track section and freefall drop are true, I wonder if we can rule out the other rumor about this being a bike coaster. It would certainly be the first time those sorts of restraints were asked to do this sort of thing.

Bairstow

If you disagree, let's discuss what makes this coaster special. From the description I just read, I sounds pretty unspectacular and an attempt by Universal to, once again, produce a barely passable attraction for the sake of printing cash.

Multiple launches, multiple large-scale animatronics, a TH13TEEN-style freefall drop, and an Everst-style track reversal section, all in the same coaster strikes you as "barely passable"?

Granted, none of these elements, as they've been described, is unique on its own, but to have so many expensive features on the same attraction does not seem to me to be at all "unspectacular".

Pray tell- what would have excited you?

lazyboy97o

If the rumors about a reversed track section and freefall drop are true, I wonder if we can rule out the other rumor about this being a bike coaster. It would certainly be the first time those sorts of restraints were asked to do this sort of thing.
Intamin has the bike-looking car with a lap bar.

Disneyhead'71

If you disagree, let's discuss what makes this coaster special. From the description I just read, I sounds pretty unspectacular and an attempt by Universal to, once again, produce a barely passable attraction for the sake of printing cash.

I'll give them this: it'll be much better than SDD, but substantially less than I would expect from a new Harry Potter attraction.
It will also be better than GotG and Tron.

Stripes

Multiple launches, multiple large-scale animatronics, a TH13TEEN-style freefall drop, and an Everst-style track reversal section, all in the same coaster strikes you as "barely passable"?

Granted, none of these elements, as they've been described, is unique on its own, but to have so many expensive features on the same attraction does not seem to me to be at all "unspectacular".

1. At least 85% of theming here will be trees. That's disappointing.
2. The coaster features can be found at a number of amusement parks around the world, and there is nothing particularly innovative about this ride system like we've come to expect from Universal. Granted Universal doesn't actually develop any of their ride systems like Disney sometimes does, but it would've been nice to see some actual innovation in a new supposed E-ticket attraction.
3. Universal is not very good at AAs (and despite all the applause, mechanically Kong is quite slow and he is poorly animated). Outdoor AAs are especially not their forte. Take Buckbeak as an example.
4. The length of this coaster registers at less than 4,500 feet.
It will also be better than GotG and Tron.
Maybe for you.

Last edited:

21stamps

I’ll be excited for him! :)

21stamps

2. The coaster features can be found at a number of amusement parks around the world, and there is nothing particularly innovative about this ride system like we've come to expect from Universal. Granted Universal doesn't actually develop any of their ride systems like Disney sometimes does, but it would've been nice to see some actual innovation in a new supposed E-ticket attraction.
3. Universal is not very good at AAs (and despite all the applause, mechanically Kong is quite slow and he is poorly animated). Outdoor AAs are especially not their forte. Look at Buckbeak for an example.
4. The length of this coaster registers at less than 4,500 feet.

Maybe for you.

Did you expect it to be longer?

Stripes

Do we know that much about Guardians yet?
No. Which is why it's a fallacy to make that comparison already.
I’ll be excited for him! :)
You're very welcome to be! An opinion is an opinion, and if the coaster reaches your expectations then you should celebrate it!
Speaking for myself, I expect more out of an E-ticket attraction, but don't let that stop you from enjoying what you enjoy!
Did you expect it to be longer?
I hoped there would be more there, but it is what it is.

Stripes

4,500 feet...

Other than Mako, which is 4,700, do any of the Orlando parks have a coaster that long?
Orlando isn't the place for good coasters. 4,500 is also being generous on my part.

Combined Dragon Challenge was 6,400 feet. They have more than enough room for a bigger coaster.

JT3000

Funny, I don't remember reading that in the article...

3. Universal is not very good at AAs (and despite all the applause, mechanically Kong is quite slow and he is poorly animated). Outdoor AAs are especially not their forte. Look at Buckbeak for an example.

Buckbeak? The AA that's sitting next to a kiddie coaster? Yeah, they should've gotten NASA to design him or something. I'm sure the budget would've allowed it.

Maybe for you.

Hmm...

Quinnmac000

If you read the article at the very bottom it is stated there is more effects and creatures that have not been discussed in this article....so.....

Stripes

COMBINED so it’s still 1300 feet longer than a single track of DC. So still a better ride.
I have no doubt it'll be better than DC. Like I said, it'll be a good addition, but some are hyping this up way too much. I suspect because it's not another screen-based addition, and it's Potter. But that doesn't mean it should be immune to criticism.
Funny, I don't remember reading that in the article...
I don't want to sound rude here, but you can ascertain it from looking at the diagram, reading the article, and reading what Alicia has said on the other site. That's a little blunt, but please don't think I'm trying to be rude.
Buckbeak? The AA that's sitting next to a kiddie coaster? Yeah, they should've gotten NASA to design him or something. I'm sure the budget would've allowed it.
Buckbeak and the Jurassic dinos are the only outdoor AAs Universal has that I can recall. I chose the more modern as an example.
I'm sorry, I don't follow. If you're implying there's a contradiction, there's not.
If you read the article at the very bottom it is stated there is more effects and creatures that have not been discussed in this article....so.....
I saw that. Hopefully there's more than a few.

Last edited:

21stamps

You're very welcome to be! An opinion is an opinion, and if the coaster reaches your expectations then you should celebrate it!
Speaking for myself, I expect more out of an E-ticket attraction, but don't let that stop you from enjoying what you enjoy!

I hoped there would be more there, but it is what it is.

I just think that longer than 4500 ft would be tough at Universal.. 4500 is a decent length imo. Longer than several great coasters that I could name.

Stripes

I just think that longer than 4500 ft would be tough at Universal.. 4500 is a decent length imo. Longer than several great coasters that I could name.
Oh it's decent, for sure. But that space is valuable land, and I feel like they could've either confined it more and allowed more room for a Hogsmeade shops expansion, or made it a little denser. But, I'm not concerned about the length, I just think the coaster occupies more room than it should, given its size. Just like SDD.

I should add, when I said "barely passable" earlier I meant it in terms of being an E-ticket attraction. Based on what we know, I'm more inclined to call this a D. But that's contingent on how successful the theming is.

One thing I'm excited to see is if Universal can pull off a good humanoid AA (Hagrid). Obviously Creature Tech won't be doing that one.

Last edited:

Bairstow

Oh it's decent, for sure. But that space is valuable land, and I feel like they could've either confined it more and allowed more room for a Hogsmeade shops expansion, or made it a little denser. But, I'm not concerned about the length, I just think the coaster occupies more room than it should, given its size. Just like SDD.

I should add, when I said "barely passable" earlier I meant it in terms of being an E-ticket attraction. Based on what we know, I'm more inclined to call this a D. But that's contingent on how successful the theming is.

One thing I'm excited to see is if Universal can pull off a good humanoid AA (Hagrid). Obviously Creature Tech won't be doing that one.
Nah, I'm betting they're going to pay a call on Garner Holt.

Still, though, it feels like you're trying to find things to complain about. If the article is accurate, Universal is pulling out every trick in the book for this thing. And even IF this was just going to be a Taronesque, terrain-following coaster through the trees? Great! That kind of stuff gives a real sense of speed, and after that all the animatronics and drops is just gravy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom