New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

Stripes

Nah, I'm betting they're going to pay a call on Garner Holt.

Still, though, it feels like you're trying to find things to complain about. If the article is accurate, Universal is pulling out every trick in the book for this thing. And even IF this was just going to be a Taronesque, terrain-following coaster through the trees? Great! That kind of stuff gives a real sense of speed, and after that all the animatronics and drops is just gravy.
As far as I know Garner Holt doesn't do many AAs for Universal. Universal tends to use Advanced Animations for their latest AAs, minus Kong. Actually, Garner Holt hasn't been doing many of Disney's most recent AAs either. The last AA Garner did for Disney was Sally in Haunted Mansion Holiday. WDI actually did the Potato Head, Wheezy, 7DMT, FEA, Shanghai Pirates, and Pandora animatronics in-house. Garner has done the AAs in Little Mermaid, minus Ursula and Ariel, Mystic Manor, and Cars Land minus Mater and a few others. Ursula, Ariel (fancy hair version), and Mater were also done in-house by WDI.

Arguably the best humanoid Universal has produced yet, would be the Witch in the Kong queue, and its movement is...not good. Unlike Kong though the animators did a good job with what they had to work with:

And of course, if that's what you were hoping for I see no reason for you to be disappointed!
Mako, Hulk, Manta, White Lightning, and Kraken beg to differ.
There's more than a few good ones, but this is the theme park capital of the world, not the coaster capital.

Last edited:

21stamps

And even IF this was just going to be a Taronesque, terrain-following coaster through the trees?
...we’ll get air time!

There's more than a few good ones, but this is the theme park capital of the world, not the coaster capital.
Agree with this 100%... but, there’s no reason that Uni shouldn’t have a great coaster... it doesn’t need to be the Coaster Capital to do so.

Musicman20

That recent hint of what may be to come makes it sound awesome. Then again, I am much more easily impressed coming from the UK, where the theming tends to be terrible on rides. I think the entire Harry Potter sections of Uni are incredible.

raven

1. At least 85% of theming here will be trees. That's disappointing.
2. The coaster features can be found at a number of amusement parks around the world, and there is nothing particularly innovative about this ride system like we've come to expect from Universal. Granted Universal doesn't actually develop any of their ride systems like Disney sometimes does, but it would've been nice to see some actual innovation in a new supposed E-ticket attraction.
3. Universal is not very good at AAs (and despite all the applause, mechanically Kong is quite slow and he is poorly animated). Outdoor AAs are especially not their forte. Take Buckbeak as an example.
4. The length of this coaster registers at less than 4,500 feet.

Maybe for you.
And Disney is speeding right ahead with the Yeti, right?

What is 85% of scenery for Space Mountain? Everest?

Debbie Downer is trolling heavily right now.

OG Runner

It will also be better than GotG and Tron.

You have no idea, how it will compare to either of those rides. There is a Tron ride already in operation, and we know what it is
like, but this ride isn't even built yet and neither is the Guardians ride. Mark Twain said, "It is better be silent and have people
think you are a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

bhg469

I know it has been dismissed for some time but Orlando desperately needs an Arthur the ride, type attraction. Who will be first to build it is the real question.

mmelka

I think the possibilities for this coaster are exciting! Yes, a big majority will be set in the Forbidden Forest, but that was a huge part of the books that had lots to offer. There will be trees, but those trees and their close proximity to the track will make it feel like you're going faster than you are, or just swerving away from one at the last moment.

lebeau

I'm a Kings Island regular and one of the local attractions our park is best-known for is The Beast. At the time, it was a record-breaker but it has endured all these years in part because of how the coaster incorporates the terrain and the forest around it. Don't underestimate the thrill of blasting through a bunch of trees.

raven

I'm a Kings Island regular and one of the local attractions our park is best-known for is The Beast. At the time, it was a record-breaker but it has endured all these years in part because of how the coaster incorporates the terrain and the forest around it. Don't underestimate the thrill of blasting through a bunch of trees.

And about 30 years ago that ride was even more hidden back in the trees before they cleared room for expansions. Still a great ride!

21stamps

It still holds a record!! Honestly, even though it beats me up something horrible, it’s still one of the best coasters that exist.

21stamps

And about 30 years ago that ride was even more hidden back in the trees before they cleared room for expansions. Still a great ride!

It’s still hidden, even with the new additions. The only spot you really see anything else is the hill just before the tunnel.. but only for a split second. :)

Stripes

And Disney is speeding right ahead with the Yeti, right?

What is 85% of scenery for Space Mountain? Everest?

Debbie Downer is trolling heavily right now.
The Yeti has issues that are far more complicated than a regular AA. It is disappointing that it hasn't been fixed yet but they have been working on it and trying to find a solution.

Space Mountain and Everest were hugely innovative, as was FJ and Gringotts. I would rather wait for a true Everest or Big Grizzly competitor than this. Not to say the ride won't be fun, but it won't be on the same level as those two.

Also, I'm not trolling. I'm expressing my opinion. You don't need my stamp of approval to form your own.
Seriously. The Kong AAs are bad? Come on now.
Yep, and I stand by it. The witch's movements are bad for a 2016 AA. Efteling has better, smoother AAs in their new Symbolica ride.

And as Kong is a bust (his head and shoulders), his AA doesn't fit the story of the ride whatsoever. And while the axis of movement are numerous, particularly in his face, he is still quite slow compared to Disney's latest and greatest. To better fit the story, they should have gone for a full body AA, like the Yeti.

GLaDOS

Space Mountain and Everest were hugely innovative, as was FJ and Gringotts. I would rather wait for a true Everest or Big Grizzly competitor than this. Not to say the ride won't be fun, but it won't be on the same level as those two.

To each their own, but this is gonna be way better than Everest or Big Grizzly. IMO it's gonna be better than Gringotts too.

Yep, and I stand by it. The witch's movements are bad for a 2016 AA. Efteling has better, smoother AAs in their new Symbolica ride.

And as Kong is a bust (his head and shoulders), his AA doesn't fit the story of the ride whatsoever. And while the axis of movement are numerous, particularly in his face, he is still quite slow compared to Disney latest and greatest. To better fit the story, they should have gone for a full body AA, like the Yeti.

I'll agree to massively disagree.

Last edited:

Stripes

The problems are known. It’s a blame game over who is at fault and will pay for the fix.
Martin told me they had worked out a B-mode with head and arm movement (no body movement), but they didn't go with it for some unknown reason. Hopefully because they're still working on a real fix.

bhg469

Martin told me they had worked out a B-mode with head and arm movement (no body movement), but they didn't go with it for some unknown reason. Hopefully because they're still working on a real fix.
Still? I mean... at this point an overwhelming majority, of the people that have ridden it, have only seen B mode. If this gets gets fixed before universals new gate I would be shocked. It is already 15 years too late

Stripes

Still? I mean... at this point an overwhelming majority, of the people that have ridden it, have only seen B mode. If this gets gets fixed before universals new gate I would be shocked. It is already 15 years too late
I mean it's really tough to fix. I personally believe the problem is the massive steel structure that moves and supports the body, which produces greater thrust than a Boeing 747. Not to mention it sits 43 feet up in the air. It really is tragic what's happened but I still admire WDI for going all-out on this figure.

If we see a refurbishment of Everest between now and 2021, I think the Yeti will be fixed. That's a big if though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom