New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

Professortango1

I mean it's really tough to fix. I personally believe the problem is the massive steel structure that moves and supports the body, which produces greater thrust than a Boeing 747. Not to mention it sits 43 feet up in the air. It really is tragic what's happened but I still admire WDI for going all-out on this figure.

If we see a refurbishment of Everest between now and 2021, I think the Yeti will be fixed. That's a big if though.

I can admire WDI, but in the end they built a headliner with some really faulty designs. Its not about building a great effect, its about building a great effect than repeat every 10-15 seconds for 16 hours a day 7 days a week. They failed, horribly, and still have not provided an acceptable fix. If that was the only issue, I'd give them a pass, but Everest's effects have always been hit and miss. Considering how choppy and mediocre the coaster portion is, you'd expect them to have some top notch visuals and effects. This track already looks more interesting to ride that Everest, and zooming through trees and rockwork sounds fun, considering Everest only has rockwork. Sure, we may not get Yeti quality design, but hopefully Universal will build something that works beyond previews and that they can repair.

Stripes

Premium Member
Pretty sure this will be better than Everest too.
In what way? Could you describe your ride preferences so we have an idea of how you're coming to this conclusion, as well as Tron and GOTG?

How is this ride raising the bar in any way? If you look at Disney's coming additions almost all have something new to bring to the table. Tron is the world's fastest motorbike coaster and reaches 60 mph, it's also the world's first indoor motorbike coaster. GOTG is bringing a whole new ride system to the table, a ride system that should've been used in Gringotts. Falcon is bringing the world's first truly interactive ride, along with the first with a real-time rendering engine, which represents the first time a ride has been combined with a first-person video game experience. Battle Escape we don't know much about yet, but we do know it will be the kitchen sink of dark rides, and Scott Trowbridge is the lead (the man behind Forbidden Journey and Spiderman) so it is guaranteed to be chock full of innovation. You get the idea, I hope.

Last edited:

JT3000

The Yeti has issues that are far more complicated than a regular AA. It is disappointing that it hasn't been fixed yet but they have been working on it and trying to find a solution.

Space Mountain and Everest were hugely innovative, as was FJ and Gringotts. I would rather wait for a true Everest or Big Grizzly competitor than this. Not to say the ride won't be fun, but it won't be on the same level as those two.

Also, I'm not trolling. I'm expressing my opinion. You don't need my stamp of approval to form your own.

Yep, and I stand by it. The witch's movements are bad for a 2016 AA. Efteling has better, smoother AAs in their new Symbolica ride.

What's so hugely innovative about Everest? It didn't use a new ride system or any new elements, unlike FJ or Gringotts. The only noteworthy technology Everest boasted was an advanced AA that's effectively been a statue for 90% of the attraction's existence. Say what you will about Universal's AAs, but at least they work.

And as Kong is a bust (his head and shoulders), his AA doesn't fit the story of the ride whatsoever.

... wut?

And while the axis of movement are numerous, particularly in his face, he is still quite slow compared to Disney's latest and greatest. To better fit the story, they should have gone for a full body AA, like the Yeti.

Do you have any idea how much larger than the yeti Kong would have to be if he were a full body? Even the one at the end of Kongfrontation wasn't a full body. And I'm still trying to figure out what the AA only being his upper body has to do with the story.

BrianLo

To each their own, but this is gonna be way better than Everest or Big Grizzly. IMO it's gonna be better than Gringotts too.

I think Big Grizzly with more of a punch (and a drop track extra surprise) is actually the best explanation for this attraction. Of course it will be better than Gringotts... Big Grizzly is already better than Gringotts. :angelic:

Stripes

Premium Member
What's so hugely innovative about Everest? It didn't use a new ride system or any new elements, unlike FJ or Gringotts. The only noteworthy technology Everest boasted was an advanced AA that's effectively been a statue for 90% of the attraction's existence. Say what you will about Universal's AAs, but at least they work.
Well, for one it's the tallest artificial mountain in the world. The yeti was also a massive technological innovation, but you know...
... wut?

Do you have any idea how much larger than the yeti Kong would have to be if he were a full body? Even the one at the end of Kongfrontation wasn't a full body. And I'm still trying to figure out what the AA only being his upper body has to do with the story.
Full-body maybe not, but their animation choices dictate it should've had at least arms.

Kong's behavior in the screen sections absolutely do not mesh with his animatronic behavior. You can interpret Kong in two ways: he protects us, or he's a dangerous threat to us. In the screen sections Kong fights the dinos, but it's up to interpretation whether that was to protect us or defend his territory. His animatronic yelling and growling at us indicates he was defending his territory. If that's the case, then he should have been far more aggressive, and used his arms to beat his chest or "push" us around...like Kongfrontation, which would actually make sense instead of just growling and finally blankly staring at us.

In summary, the story of Skull Island: Reign of Kong is inconsistent at best and downright poor at worst.

And yes, I'm one of those dweebs that puts story above everything.

Last edited:

Stripes

Premium Member
I should clarify my opinion: if what you wanted out of the DC demolition was a less thrilling coaster with a few cool tricks up its sleeve, then I think this coaster is absolutely for you! And I'm excited for you!

I was hoping for an experience akin to Big Thunder or Big Grizzly especially from a theming perspective, and thus far it seems that's not what we'll be getting.

From a purely coaster perspective, this will be a phenomenal addition to Orlando. The jury is still out on whether it can hold its own against Disney's theming on their outdoor E-ticket coasters.

Rob562

How is this ride raising the bar in any way?

Just from a coaster tech standpoint, two things spring to mind from the description:

-This coaster has 4 or 5 launch points during the ride. The most on any coaster I can think of is 3.

-It sounds like the near-vertical spike will be a stop-and-hold point while waiting for a track switch. I can't think of any element on another coaster that uses a vertical hold point like that.

-Rob

Stripes

Premium Member
-This coaster has 4 or 5 launch points during the ride. The most on any coaster I can think of is 3.
You're right that would be mighty impressive. It's not really something new, new but I'll give it that. Personally, I don't think I'd be a fan of being launched and slowed in such a rapid succession. If anybody has been in a car with a bad driver, you know how quickly nauseating that can be.
-It sounds like the near-vertical spike will be a stop-and-hold point while waiting for a track switch. I can't think of any element on another coaster that uses a vertical hold point like that.
Everest? Maybe not quite as vertical, but I don't think I'll give it that point.

Edit: after a little digging into the author's other comments, most of these "launches" are just small pushes to get us to the next scene, which sounds much, much better IMO. So not full-on launches.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

I'm a Kings Island regular and one of the local attractions our park is best-known for is The Beast. At the time, it was a record-breaker but it has endured all these years in part because of how the coaster incorporates the terrain and the forest around it. Don't underestimate the thrill of blasting through a bunch of trees.

Exhibit B: Boulder Dash at Lake Compounce:

Though they would have to plant a LOT of trees to achieve something like this.

Tom Morrow

Edit: after a little digging into the author's other comments, most of these "launches" are just small pushes to get us to the next scene, which sounds much, much better IMO. So not full-on launches.
I hope this is not the case. You want another Gringotts? Yawn. I do not want yet another instance where we are ushered from scene to scene to watch action instead of being IN the action.
Kong's behavior in the screen sections absolutely do not mesh with his animatronic behavior. You can interpret Kong in two ways: he protects us, or he's a dangerous threat to us. In the screen sections Kong fights the dinos, but it's up to interpretation whether that was to protect us or defend his territory. His animatronic yelling and growling at us indicates he was defending his territory. If that's the case, then he should have been far more aggressive, and used his arms to beat his chest or "push" us around...like Kongfrontation, which would actually make sense instead of just growling and finally blankly staring at us.

In summary, the story of Skull Island: Reign of Kong is inconsistent at best and downright poor at worst.

I'm not the biggest fan of Kong either, but you did not interpret the animatronic scene correctly. Kong is sharing a moment with us, he just saved us and respects us - but doesn't want us to get too comfortable.

Stripes

Premium Member
I hope this is not the case. You want another Gringotts? Yawn. I do not want yet another instance where we are ushered from scene to scene to watch action instead of being IN the action.

I'm not the biggest fan of Kong either, but you did not interpret the animatronic scene correctly. Kong is sharing a moment with us, he just saved us and respects us - but doesn't want us to get too comfortable.
Hmm...never thought about it that way. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I ride.

Professortango1

In what way? Could you describe your ride preferences so we have an idea of how you're coming to this conclusion, as well as Tron and GOTG?

How is this ride raising the bar in any way? If you look at Disney's coming additions almost all have something new to bring to the table. Tron is the world's fastest motorbike coaster and reaches 60 mph, it's also the world's first indoor motorbike coaster. GOTG is bringing a whole new ride system to the table, a ride system that should've been used in Gringotts. Falcon is bringing the world's first truly interactive ride, along with the first with a real-time rendering engine, which represents the first time a ride has been combined with a first-person video game experience. Battle Escape we don't know much about yet, but we do know it will be the kitchen sink of dark rides, and Scott Trowbridge is the lead (the man behind Forbidden Journey and Spiderman) so it is guaranteed to be chock full of innovation. You get the idea, I hope.

Innovation means nothing without artistry. We've seen the Tron coaster, it's okay but short and lacking moments. Guardians isn't a new ride system per insiders on here. I look forward to Battle Escape, but I'm not too excited yet over Falcoln as screen based attractions rarely engage me.

Stripes

Premium Member
Innovation means nothing without artistry
Agreed.
We've seen the Tron coaster, it's okay but short and lacking moments.
Tron is actually a decent length for an indoor coaster, but it's also one of the fastest, if not the fastest, which makes it seem shorter than it is. Tron is 3,169 ft. Space Mountain WDW is 3,196' or 3,186' depending on the alpha or omega track.
Guardians isn't a new ride system per insiders on here.
Actually quite the contrary. Disney have even said its a new ride system.
I look forward to Battle Escape, but I'm not too excited yet over Falcoln as screen based attractions rarely engage me.
That's understandable, but "engaging" and Falcon absolutely belong in the same sentence, if you know what I mean.

Disneyhead'71

First off, Gringott's is a considerably more technologically advanced ride system than GotG will be.

Yes, the new Potter coaster will not be built into a mountain, but there will be a lot more theming elements than you are assuming.

And I believe there is one important trick to the ride system that you are unaware of that will bring this attraction into the "never been done before" catagory.

Save your disappointment for the JP addition. You're going to hate it.

Last edited:

21stamps

I miss the old water features. And back when they had giant paw prints painted on the path leading to the ride's queue.

Me too! We do take advantage of the FunPix selfie spot now though... there is one set of foot prints in that area.. but we still never stand in the correct spot, always end up with photo fails. ;)

Total side note- Have you been yet this year? We noticed that Dinosaurs Alive is now closed. I was a little sad, we enjoyed that area.. and I wonder what will become of the dinosaurs.

Well, for one it's the tallest artificial mountain in the world. The yeti was also a massive technological innovation, but you know...

Full-body maybe not, but their animation choices dictate it should've had at least arms.

Fwiw, I learned a hard lesson last year.
Waited over 3 hours to find out “what’s in the shed” on a new ride called ‘Mystic Timbers’.
We went to pass holder preview night, kiddo was soooooo excited to finally find out the answer to all of the teaser signs and videos.
The queue has televisions showing you the story.. we were so tired (kiddo took a nap at some points during the crazy long line)..but..as we got closer to the trains, his excitement kicked in.
Finally we boarded our train. Giggling and planning our camera pose...

The ride was fast, tons of air time, twists and turns, and then suddenly we were In The Shed!! Well, the special effects went into play.. and then the ride ended. Kiddo exclaims loudly “THAT’S IT?! THAT’S WHAT’S IN THE SHED?!!! UGH!”

Fun ride, very short, the shed was not at all what it was hyped up to be. I will NEVER wait 3 hours for an attraction again... and I will never let my anticipation get the high.lol

Last edited:

Professortango1

Agreed.

Tron is actually a decent length for an indoor coaster, but it's also one of the fastest, if not the fastest, which makes it seem shorter than it is. Tron is 3,169 ft. Space Mountain WDW is 3,196' or 3,186' depending on the alpha or omega track.

Actually quite the contrary. Disney have even said its a new ride system.

That's understandable, but "engaging" and Falcon absolutely belong in the same sentence, if you know what I mean.

Tron might be a decent length ft-wise, but time-wise and moments-wise, it feels really short.

I've heard the ride system will be something akin to this: and similar to Gringotts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom