New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

21stamps

I'm not sure I follow. What are your expectations for this coaster?

I don’t know, I’m only going by what I’ve read here.. and what I think Uni would want to do.. I think it will be a moderate thrill ride.. I don’t think they will go kiddie coaster or 7DMT style ride.

JT3000

This definitely is not going to have the built structure of Expedition Everest and Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars.

And it doesn't really need to considering it's apparently a forest theme.

I can't speak for Grizzly Mountain, but Everest's mountain structure acts more as a fancy facade than something that really adds to the on-ride experience anyway. It gives you something to look at while waiting in line and makes for nice window dressing to ride around, but it only contains one real show scene, you can't even see anything the rest of the time you're inside it, and there's little more than landscaping on the exterior. I much prefer the smaller scale but more dynamic (and largely outdoors) scenes on something like Thunder Mountain. So the importance of a large structure shouldn't be overstated when comparing the scale of these rides.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Everest is a family ride.

Exactly, this is not Everest, which is still considered the upper limit of Family.

Basically just trying to keep hopes in check when people start dropping the Family moniker when describing this attraction.

It’s very much going to be a family coaster (note: not a kiddie coaster).

Disneyhead'71

Exactly, this is not Everest, which is still considered the upper limit of Family.

Basically just trying to keep hopes in check when people start dropping the Family moniker when describing this attraction.

It’s very much going to be a family coaster (note: not a kiddie coaster).
This will be more "thrilling" than Everest. And a working large scale AA.

BrianLo

This will be more "thrilling" than Everest. And a working large scale AA.

Will it? That’s no longer a family coaster. Again this is not a judgement I’m just trying to keep overblown expectations In check. It’ll have more tricks than Everest. But the GP looks at verticality or loops by definition of thrills.

I’m very excited for this attraction, I just don’t want it to go the way of Gringotts where people think it’s going to be something that it isn’t.

Tom Morrow

I would have to agree that Everest is about as intense as you can get while still being called a family coaster. The backwards helix pulls some serious G’s, especially if you sit in the front of the train.

JT3000

Are people really considering Everest as a "family coaster" to begin with?
Thing does like 50mph.
I mean, it's no Kingda-Ka, but it's a proper rollercoaster.

It definitely qualifies as a family coaster... for the most part. Except for the uncharacteristically intense backwards section, it's still pretty tame despite some of its stats. You can barely even feel the drop. I'm not sure it even reaches the upper limits of what constitutes a "family coaster."

OG Runner

It definitely qualifies as a family coaster... for the most part. Except for the uncharacteristically intense backwards section, it's still pretty tame despite some of its stats. You can barely even feel the drop. I'm not sure it even reaches the upper limits of what constitutes a "family coaster."

I am glad I am not part of your family. If you took me on Everest as a kid, I think I would hate you. :p

21stamps

Totally agree with all of this. There’s so many levels of thrill.. even a few “aggressive” thrill would still be enjoyed by a lot of families.

There’s people all over the country who grow up at amusement parks. Everest is mild compared to a lot of rides outside of the designated “kiddie land” in any of those parks, yet they’re still “family parks”.

Tom Morrow

If you remove the backwards portion of Everest and maybe the drop (if you're sitting in the back of the train) I would agree that it's a definite family coaster, but with them it places it either on the highest end of family or more accurately, a moderate thrill coaster, 4/5.

sonoma15

If you remove the backwards portion of Everest and maybe the drop (if you're sitting in the back of the train) I would agree that it's a definite family coaster, but with them it places it either on the highest end of family or more accurately, a moderate thrill coaster, 4/5.
I would say the highest end of family is cheetah hunt. It can get a little intense in some places but overall its kind of calm.

Cody5294

I’m hoping Uni releases the story of this attraction soon. As a Potter fan I’m really interested to see how “Fluffy” is incorporated into this ride story wise

raven

I think people are starting to consider a relatively big coaster with an incredibly smooth ride as “family coasters.” Everst and Cheetah Hunt are pretty big coasters, bigger than Space Mountain which is a bit rough but considered as a “thrill” in most people’s eyes. But smooth steel coasters are getting better and better all the time. Freefall sections of a coaster wouldn’t put them in a family coaster category for most riders.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom