New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

raven

So, just to throw it out there, how do you feel this attraction will compare with the Guardians of the Galaxy ride under construction at Epcot. A recent article noted, The attraction is on track to become one of the world’s longest enclosed coasters.
Considering construction for the new Harry Potter coaster started much later than construction for Galaxy, Potter construction is already months ahead of Galaxy (supports & track wise).

The new Potter ride is not going to be for everyone. Then again they aren’t really worried about making it family oriented either so they are pulling out all the stops to add thrills.

OG Runner

In my opinion the Potter coaster will be a considerably better attraction. I think the GotG will but a lot of fun, but I'm not expecting anything really impressive. Sort of like a modern RnR. Cool preshow, fun coaster.

Do have any additional information on either of these coasters, to form your opinion. I honestly don't and am not sure how you could
determine how one will be "considerably better". I may be missing information, but last I heard it wasn't even determined what the
ride vehicles would be. (I know there are rumors) Look at the construction sites, even though Disney says GotG will be one of the largest
indoor coasters, Harry Potter's footprint appears to be larger.

Tom Morrow

So based on the rumors and what we can see of the track layout, can we expect this to be something like Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg?

21stamps

Considering construction for the new Harry Potter coaster started much later than construction for Galaxy, Potter construction is already months ahead of Galaxy (supports & track wise).

The new Potter ride is not going to be for everyone. Then again they aren’t really worried about making it family oriented either so they are pulling out all the stops to add thrills.
I’ll say this again-

I hope you’re correct.

OG Runner

So based on the rumors and what we can see of the track layout, can we expect this to be something like Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg?

I really hope the new Potter ride is better than this. Verbolten looks like it would be a fun ride, but hardly the immersive
experience, I am hoping the new Potter ride will provide.

BrianLo

I thought they specifically referred to this as a family thrill attraction when it was announced. I think the thrill expectation is starting to run a little too high. This is not Everest.

mmelka

I thought they specifically referred to this as a family thrill attraction when it was announced. I think the thrill expectation is starting to run a little too high. This is not Everest.

I would consider Everest a great family thrill ride that borders on becoming a thrill ride. If the Hagrid ride is on par with that for setting/thrill/at one point functioning AA, then I would be happy with the ride. Especially if it will have some of the launch/drop/backward sections that have been mentioned, then it could be really unique addition to IOA.

SiriusBlack

I really hope the new Potter ride is better than this. Verbolten looks like it would be a fun ride, but hardly the immersive
I've ridden Verbolten. It is fine. Not great but fine. Busch Gardens has a lot better coasters. I'm expecting a better coaster and much more immersive experience from Universal.

Tom Morrow

I would say that coaster thrill rankings are something like:

1. Very small kiddie coasters
2. Family coasters such as Hippogrif and 7 Dwarfs Mine Train
3. Moderate thrill family coasters such as Space Mountain and Cobra's Curse
4. Thrill coasters such as Expedition Everest, Cheetah Hunt, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, and Verbolten above.
5. "Extreme" coasters such as the big B&Ms and Intamins like Hulk, Manta, Maverick at Cedar Point. Stuff that pulls consistent strong physical forces and a lot of maneuvers.

I'm guessing the new Potter coaster will be somewhere in the 3-4 range. Which is fine.

I'm sure it will be more immersive. I was referring to the design of the coaster and ride system and the fact that it has a drop track section, which is rumored.

Rowlet

This is pure speculation but I wonder if the story will be somewhat around Hagrid's class "Care of Magical Creatures" where we fly through the forest and see the different creatures Hagrid has either taken care of, shown the students, or taken from the Fantastic Beasts series. Whatever it ends up being, I am super excited for it!

Stripes

I think many posters have their expectations way too high for this ride...

Lots of small show scenes with a forest of trees in between each. If it was anything more than that then we'd be seeing lots, and lots of steel going up already. Maybe it's just me. I'm also Pottered out.

Plus, as much as people don't like all the screens at Universal, it's what they're good at. Creature Tech can provide great, big AAs, but with the smaller ones with much more sophisticated engineering Disney is so far ahead given their patents and R&D team.

Last edited:

sonoma15

I think many posters have their expectations way too high for this ride...

Lots of small show scenes with a forest of trees in between each. If it was anything more than that then we'd be seeing lots, and lots of steel going going up already. Maybe it's just me. I'm also Pottered out.

Plus, as much as people don't like all the screens at Universal, it's what they're good at. Creature Tech can provide great, big AAs, but with the smaller ones with much more sophisticated engineering Disney is so far ahead given their patents and R&D team.
Usually for these larger coasters they do the trackwork first then build everything else around it. So we haven't seen much yet.

Stripes

Usually for these larger coasters they do the trackwork first then build everything else around it. So we haven't seen much yet.
That's true, but we know the buildings that will be going up and how small they are. Other than those buildings, no other foundations have been laid. A certain poster is comparing this to Hong Kong's Grizzly and Everest. If you look at their constructions, the basic steel structure for their rock work was far along by this point. Add to that Alicia's postings, and it's very clear to me what this coaster will be.

For comparison, this is what Grizzly looked like a little over a year away from opening, which is exactly where the Potter coaster is now.
image.jpeg

And here's Everest, a year before previews:
image.jpeg

Last edited:

21stamps

That's true, but we know the buildings that will be going up and how small they are. Other than those buildings, no other foundations have been laid. A certain poster is comparing this to Hong Kong's Grizzly and Everest. If you look at their constructions, the basic steel structure for their rock work was far along by this point. Add to that Alicia's postings, and it's very clear to me what this coaster will be.

For comparison, this is what Grizzly looked like a little over a year away from opening, which is exactly where the Potter coaster is now.
View attachment 284750
And here's Everest, a year before previews:
View attachment 284751

A coaster doesn’t have to look like that to be thrilling.. especially not at the “thrill level” that this new coaster will be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom