News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Doug Means

I would like to point out that we are so far off the grid, with the disaster possibilities of this transportation system, but
it is good to see that everybody has a very healthy imagination. Either that or we have all watch one too many disaster
movies.
yeah but, someone may get to say, "i told you so!" someday. Hope not

DisneyCane

Included in highly unlikely, but theoretically possible (probability > 0%) would be:
-earthquake
-tower/ gondola/ haul rope getting hit by meteor / asteroid/ comet
- plane crash
- car / truck taking out tower
- volcano

Almost as likely-
-Godzilla
-Mothra

Car/truck taking out tower is not remotely as low a possibility as those others with towers in the parking lot. Most cases would probably just lead to a dent in the tower and a totaled vehicle but a fully loaded dump truck driving in the middle of the night on a construction project in a rush at 40 MPH might have enough force.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Under this ridiculous sink hole scenario, I think whatever those brackets are above the sheaves would likely get caught on the cable on the way down so the tower would hang.
Ridiculous?

mmascari

Car/truck taking out tower is not remotely as low a possibility as those others with towers in the parking lot. Most cases would probably just lead to a dent in the tower and a totaled vehicle but a fully loaded dump truck driving in the middle of the night on a construction project in a rush at 40 MPH might have enough force.

Aren't there jersey barriers or those barricade poles surrounding all the poles that are near vehicle traffic? Someone remember a recent picture showing a base where traffic is allowed? The recent rescue photo even shows jersey barriers by the poles where only emergency vehicles are allowed.

If I was going to worry about vehicle interactions, it would be a construction vehicle with a raised load (something really tall) near a station where the line is getting low. Once Riviera is done, this should be a rare possibility. Not that it's likely now either.

mm121

Doesn't seem so bad during the daytime with the Triton lift, but at night in the dark this would be insane. Hopefully they never have to do it. Would be especially bad if all 3 lines needed evacuation at the same time.

bUU

OK guys, I think this thread needs to return to useful information about the Disney Skyliner. Let's put a halt to the doomsday talk. Thanks.
The base assumption should be that Disney and its contractors and those that issue them permits know the engineering well-enough that our back-seat driving is pointless. The first step in questioning that should be establishing credentials superior to that which is actually working on the project, and then performing an assessment of the site and the plans. Otherwise, it is like wdwmagic said, just useless doomsday talk.

I am intrigued by the idea someone floated earlier, that the gondola system can be expanded. I'm having trouble envisioning how that could work efficiently. Earlier someone took issue with my wondering about why Epcot didn't directly connect to Hollywood Studios (given how close the Epcot-to-Riviera portion comes to the studios, and how much more cabling there is going the way it is going). They made the point about how this specific arrangement splits traffic best, rather than making (for example) AoA folks traverse almost the entire system. So taking that at face value, I don't see how any expansion of the current system could work without it having too many guests having to endure too many hops to get to where they want to go. It almost seems to me that the message is that gondolas work as local transportation between a small handful of relatively close-by stations, but don't work as a full solution to what is effectively a city-wide transportation system.

So, remembering the concerns raised about the direct Epcot-to-Hollywood Studios idea earlier, the only way to avoid those concerns would be to have expansions of the gondola system emanate from CBR as a fourth leg, perhaps going out to Disney Springs, perhaps by way of an intermediate stop (a la the Riviera station) at Typhoon Lagoon? However, isn't the CBR station on the ground? As such, how would guests enter the station if there was a fourth leg? It seems to me that a fourth leg would cut off guests ingress to the loading platforms.

That's why I think the only "expansion" of the gondola system that we'll see from here either has to ignore the concerns folks raised before about the direct Epcot-to-Hollywood Studios idea, or has to be about building a second, completely separate gondola system. Some have talked about connecting AK to AKL (and maybe CSR) but I don't think that's "enough" to justify it, so I think a second system would be more likely to be a replacement for the monorail system that has become too antiquated an idea (as well as too old of a facility) to maintain. Either that or perhaps the two systems could touch - so that would have the CBR to Disney Springs connection be oriented the other way, with its hub at Disney Springs, with legs emanating out to CBR, Port Orleans, and maybe from there onto the campgrounds.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The base assumption should be that Disney and its contractors and those that issue them permits know the engineering well-enough that our back-seat driving is pointless. The first step in questioning that should be establishing credentials superior to that which is actually working on the project, and then performing an assessment of the site and the plans. Otherwise, it is like wdwmagic said, just useless doomsday talk.

I am intrigued by the idea someone floated earlier, that the gondola system can be expanded. I'm having trouble envisioning how that could work efficiently. Earlier someone took issue with my wondering about why Epcot didn't directly connect to Hollywood Studios (given how close the Epcot-to-Riviera portion comes to the studios, and how much more cabling there is going the way it is going). They made the point about how this specific arrangement splits traffic best, rather than making (for example) AoA folks traverse almost the entire system. So taking that at face value, I don't see how any expansion of the current system could work without it having too many guests having to endure too many hops to get to where they want to go. It almost seems to me that the message is that gondolas work as local transportation between a small handful of relatively close-by stations, but don't work as a full solution to what is effectively a city-wide transportation system.

So, remembering the concerns raised about the direct Epcot-to-Hollywood Studios idea earlier, the only way to avoid those concerns would be to have expansions of the gondola system emanate from CBR as a fourth leg, perhaps going out to Disney Springs, perhaps by way of an intermediate stop (a la the Riviera station) at Typhoon Lagoon? However, isn't the CBR station on the ground? As such, how would guests enter the station if there was a fourth leg? It seems to me that a fourth leg would cut off guests ingress to the loading platforms.

That's why I think the only "expansion" of the gondola system that we'll see from here either has to ignore the concerns folks raised before about the direct Epcot-to-Hollywood Studios idea, or has to be about building a second, completely separate gondola system. Some have talked about connecting AK to AKL (and maybe CSR) but I don't think that's "enough" to justify it, so I think a second system would be more likely to be a replacement for the monorail system that has become too antiquated an idea (as well as too old of a facility) to maintain. Either that or perhaps the two systems could touch - so that would have the CBR to Disney Springs connection be oriented the other way, with its hub at Disney Springs, with legs emanating out to CBR, Port Orleans, and maybe from there onto the campgrounds.
I think AKL-to-AK is best handled by retired parking lot trams and/or 15-pax vans.

As for expansion, ramps and elevated stations can handle "collisions" between multiple lines -- remember Busch Gardens' skyride? You start out at tree-top level near Egypt.

There's always an engineered solution. It just depends on how much money and time you want to throw at a project.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Doesn't seem so bad during the daytime with the Triton lift, but at night in the dark this would be insane. Hopefully they never have to do it. Would be especially bad if all 3 lines needed evacuation at the same time.

Can't really think of a scenario that would take out all three lines at one time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom