News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Lensman

No.. just no.

The cable just rides along the top of the sheaves... it can't hold anything that isn't gripping onto the cable.
A sinkhole causing a tower collapse is definitely an ultra-low probability event, but if the "inconceivable" happens, the tower will likely pull the rope down, but the rope and the neighboring tower should be able to support the tower. See the Excalibur incident at Whistler back in 2008. Note: 10 were injured but there were no deaths.

Does Disney do sinkhole detection with ground penetrating radar?

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Bretton Woods ski resort in New Hampshire is building their first gondola line this year, and oddly enough, it has generated virtually no internet forum conversations.

I have a feeling that if Disney changed their toilet paper, we'd get a 12 page discussion.
Well, at least 7 pages anyway 😉

flynnibus

Premium Member
A sinkhole causing a tower collapse is definitely an ultra-low probability event, but if the "inconceivable" happens, the tower will likely pull the rope down, but the rope and the neighboring tower should be able to support the tower. See the Excalibur incident at Whistler back in 2008. Note: 10 were injured but there were no deaths.

That tower isn't being supported... the top half of it was just hung up in the cable.. like a broken branch in a tree that doesn't fall all the way to the ground. It's not supporting anything.. its just hanging there like debris, propped by the ground and the entanglement with the haul rope. That tower split and broke with the top half separating.

Lensman

That tower isn't being supported... the top half of it was just hung up in the cable.. like a broken branch in a tree that doesn't fall all the way to the ground. It's not supporting anything.. its just hanging there like debris, propped by the ground and the entanglement with the haul rope. That tower split and broke with the top half separating.
Exactly, the top half of the tower broke off from the bottom half and fell, got caught up in the cable, and pulled the cable down with it. So even though the cable is sitting on top of the sheaves, it is likely that one or both of the cables would get caught up by a falling tower in the *exceedingly* unlikely (or as I said, "inconceivable") case that a sinkhole would open up under a tower.

I agree with you that it might be an open question of whether the cables would snap if the full weight of tower were bearing down on the two cables.

I suppose we could also discuss the likelihood of the tower being able to come down without getting caught up in the rope.

But I'm not terribly wed to my fun guess about what might happen as a result of this exceedingly unlikely happenstance, so what was your fun guess about what would happen? Lol

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Exactly, the top half of the tower broke off from the bottom half and fell, got caught up in the cable, and pulled the cable down with it. So even though the cable is sitting on top of the sheaves, it is likely that one or both of the cables would get caught up by a falling tower in the *exceedingly* unlikely (or as I said, "inconceivable") case that a sinkhole would open up under a tower.

I agree with you that it might be an open question of whether the cables would snap if the full weight of tower were bearing down on the two cables.

I suppose we could also discuss the likelihood of the tower being able to come down without getting caught up in the rope.
View attachment 367338

But I'm not terribly wed to my fun guess about what might happen as a result of this exceedingly unlikely happenstance, so what was your fun guess about what would happen? Lol
I was in Tampa when the unlikely happened with a brand-new elevated expressway... and they did "geotechnical analysis" before siting their towers, too...

Luxe

So we're adding sink holes to the list of possible danger on the Skyliner now? Just to get myself up to speed we have easy bake ovens floating over fire pits which then pass through the gator gauntlet with a grand finale of falling down the Alice themed sinkhole with a potential splashdown into lake water with more gators.

Anything else we can add?

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
So we're adding sink holes to the list of possible danger on the Skyliner now? Just to get myself up to speed we have easy bake ovens floating over fire pits which then pass through the gator gauntlet with a grand finale of falling down the Alice themed sinkhole with a potential splashdown into lake water with more gators.

You forgot the upteenbajillion-pages of posts talking about lightning:happy::hilarious:

jt04

Water moccasins?

mdcpr

I went to NYC last September and took the subway from Time Square. I can't imagine what those cars must have been like without AC.
Standing on the platform, just waiting for our train to come, I was sweating. It is hotter than hades and the air is literally heavy.
It's our urban spa. Sweat those toxins out. :)

HiJe

Don't forget the potential of contracting infections, rashes, or disease from people attempting to create Gondola babies.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Sorry... hang ups and “supporting” are not even in the same discussion. One is functional, the other is just a mess. The point of the earlier post is the haul rope is not attached or bound to the towers. It passes through and rides on top of the sheaves. It’s why there is a risk of the cable becoming derailed and coming off the sheaves... and all the safety systems around detecting and trying to avoid that.

If it were to take the full load like in a fall..the cross member and other elements would likely break off first. Again... the cable isn’t holding the tower... the tower props up the cable with some smaller stuff around and over that rope level. You kick out the legs of a chair... it collapses and whatever is sitting on it falls down. They may get entangled... but it’s not going to hold the chair up.

This kind of cable isn’t going to snap. The load of hundreds of gondolas and miles of cable makes a single tower look like a toothpick.

Just like you saw at Whistler... a tower coming down would entangle the haul rope and lower the haul rope catastrophically on the remainder of the line. Question is how much of a drop... and would gondolas impact the ground. But short of a terror incident or a construction accident... it’s not really all that probable.

The real variable is if the tower and obstruction drag the line down! Not if the tower is supported. Because depending on the weight on the haul rope in the unsupported segment impacts how much the haul rope moves in the other segments. I don’t know the balance when other loads are on the rope... but the rope seems heavy enough to drop down under its own weight otherwise.

Last edited:

Bender123

Sorry... hang ups and “supporting” are not even in the same discussion. One is functional, the other is just a mess. The point of the earlier post is the haul rope is not attached or bound to the towers. It passes through and rides on top of the sheaves. It’s why there is a risk of the cable becoming derailed and coming off the sheaves... and all the safety systems around detecting and trying to avoid that.

If it were to take the full load like in a fall..the cross member and other elements would likely break off first. Again... the cable isn’t holding the tower... the tower props up the cable with some smaller stuff around and over that rope level. You kick out the legs of a chair... it collapses and whatever is sitting on it falls down. They may get entangled... but it’s not going to hold the chair up.

This kind of cable isn’t going to snap. The load of hundreds of gondolas and miles of cable makes a single tower look like a toothpick.

Just like you saw at Whistler... a tower coming down would entangle the haul rope and lower the haul rope catastrophically on the remainder of the line. Question is how much of a drop... and would gondolas impact the ground. But short of a terror incident or a construction accident... it’s not really all that probable.

...and if you go into the sinkhole, there is a chance you can find Horizons down there, so you have that going for you.

Doug Means

Hurricane force winds??

GCTales

Included in highly unlikely, but theoretically possible (probability > 0%) would be:
-earthquake
-tower/ gondola/ haul rope getting hit by meteor / asteroid/ comet
- plane crash
- car / truck taking out tower
- volcano

Almost as likely-
-Godzilla
-Mothra

HiJe

Included in highly unlikely, but theoretically possible (probability > 0%) would be:
-earthquake
-tower/ gondola/ haul rope getting hit by meteor / asteroid/ comet
- plane crash
- car / truck taking out tower
- volcano

Almost as likely-
-Godzilla
-Mothra

What will be the potential impact of a bird or small lizard getting smooshed between the Gondola and the Tower while hanging out on the wire? My guess is bad impact for the animal and little impact to the Gondola. But will the increase in smooshed animals at the bottom increase the Gator count below? In turn increasing that danger? And what about all of the fire all over the place?

Patcheslee

The 4D effect of B.O. 😁

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom