News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

joelkfla

Perhaps they will do like they do at some of the attractions and have TV monitors to show you how the thing works while you are approaching the boarding area. To help with the vision, it is just a big red thing that doesn't go anywhere, but, continues to go around in a circle and has a cable making a 180 degree turn. Sort of like the wheels on a bus that just go round and round. ;)
Yeah, the bull wheels aren't very exciting, but all the other stuff: the tires decelerating and accelerating the cabins thru the station, the transfer off and onto the cable, the motors powering the system -- that's pretty cool to a tech geek.

christine7257

Reports on a couple of other boards that the International Gateway will be closed from after Thanksgiving through mid-December for work on the cables. Has anyone here heard anything similar?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
When you have a days worth of people packed into a monorail car that is for the most part air conditioned and the car still smells like a barn, it’s a very safe assumption to say that an unconditioned gondola full of sweaty hot guests will be worse.
I hear what you are saying and it sometimes happens on busses too. The one thing the gondolas have going for them is it’s a bunch of smaller cars that aren’t connected. Depending on how crowded it is I think there’s a good shot that if you are a family of 4 or more you will get your own gondola and not be in with strangers. At busy times they will need to fill them mostly to capacity but even then it’s not as many different strangers crammed in as a bus or the monorail. Better odds of being smell free.

Now if the problem is that you or the people you are with are the ones that smell...well then you are out of luck;)

christine7257

What's the nature of the source? CM? Bus Driver? Doppelmayr employee?

Not of the usual blogs have picked up on it.

Haha. I know. I'm trying to be skeptical myself. Full disclosure I have a reservation during this period so I am personally invested. I believe the sources thus far are a CM and an unnamed source (but two independent reports on different media). I know..... That's why I was reaching out here to the voices of reason to see what y'all had heard. :) I'm hoping it's just rumor but am also conscious that that PizzeRizzo closure rumor was largely panned as silly until confirmed. Again, personally invested with a weekend visit for Candlelight Processional and the holiday storytellers, so not really objective. :) Appreciate any info anyone can provide and certainly not trying to spread "fake news."

nickys

Premium Member
Haha. I know. I'm trying to be skeptical myself. Full disclosure I have a reservation during this period so I am personally invested. I believe the sources thus far are a CM and an unnamed source (but two independent reports on different media). I know..... That's why I was reaching out here to the voices of reason to see what y'all had heard. :) I'm hoping it's just rumor but am also conscious that that PizzeRizzo closure rumor was largely panned as silly until confirmed. Again, personally invested with a weekend visit for Candlelight Processional and the holiday storytellers, so not really objective. :) Appreciate any info anyone can provide and certainly not trying to spread "fake news."

Has PizzeRizzo closure been confirmed? Just did a search on the dining news section here, and there’s nothing.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
That puts my calculation in the very tight window for 50 th anniversary. Gondolas won’t help to MK though. Maybe Epcot 40? The all-stars and Coronado were the other I thought and that can work on its own schedule. Reducing transit times to & from resorts makes park hopping easier. From a DIS management POV, I see one huge benefit to that.

I doubt you will see any more gondola lines open for the 50th. It has been said that additional lines are contingent on how well this first system works out, so I would say they would wait for at least a year into the operation of the first system before considering an expansion.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Reports on a couple of other boards that the International Gateway will be closed from after Thanksgiving through mid-December for work on the cables. Has anyone here heard anything similar?

The Swan and Dolphin web site says that their will be no Friendship boat service during that time, some people have suggested that this would be because of the cables being run. It doesn't say anything about the IG being closed, and I would think we would have seen notifications to guests at other area resorts by now.

1539538498744.png

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The Swan and Dolphin web site says that their will be no Friendship boat service during that time, some people have suggested that this would be because of the cables being run. It doesn't say anything about the IG being closed, and I would think we would have seen notifications to guests at other area resorts by now.

View attachment 320066
The cables will be run during this time. There should be some unusual photo opportunities from the showcase promenade bridge.

MickeyMinnieMom

View attachment 320066
The cables will be run during this time. There should be some unusual photo opportunities from the showcase promenade bridge.
I should be there Dec 18... will have my camera out... :)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'll be there the first week of December, too, to witness the spectacular Festival of the Rope!

Luckily/unluckily, I've been priced out of the Swolphin, so, I won't be affected (my condolences Crescent Lake folk!). But, I'll wander to the IG and see what I can see!

At Pop, I usually ask for fourth floor facing the lake, so maybe I'll get good pics of the roping there.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If the IG closes entirely for this, I wonder how the Jamaica and Aruba rooms will be affected when installation begins there
I would assume the rooms directly below the line will not be occupied. The hotel is probably not at 100% capacity that time of year anyway so they just move around the rooms out of service. Any paths or walkways under the line will probably also be closed off and/or periodically detoured. It may be a temporary inconvenience for guests but I imagine it won’t be much worse than the past year has been with all the construction going on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom