News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Skibum1970

Couldn’t they just build it a ground level with elevated overpasses over roads or parking lots? That should cut the cost significantly. They had to clear land anyway for the gondolas. I would assume the support structure could be built cheaper than a monorail beam especially if the stations are ground level. Still seems more expensive than the gondola but probably not 10X

I agree it’s probably the ride system and controls that would add to costs and possibly increase cost to operate and maintain.

Light rail seems to cost about $120 million per mile and I would expect a peoplemover to cost around the same. Given Disney's tendency to run higher than average on cost, I think that the price would be on the low side. My only thought is that lightrail would be air conditioned and out of the weather, in addition to being able to use solar power during the daytime. The costs for light rail are for running at ground level in the median of a highway.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Light rail seems to cost about $120 million per mile and I would expect a peoplemover to cost around the same. Given Disney's tendency to run higher than average on cost, I think that the price would be on the low side. My only thought is that lightrail would be air conditioned and out of the weather, in addition to being able to use solar power during the daytime. The costs for light rail are for running at ground level in the median of a highway.
I would assume a basic people mover system could be built even cheaper than an urban light rail system. On Disney property you have few issues with security and land use and none of the costs associated with digging up existing roads in the middle of a city. You don’t need to worry about pedestrians or vehicles crossing in front the system. You don’t need the system to be as rugged or vandalism resistant since it’s already behind a private security buffer.

I still think the cheapest option would be to just add a dedicated lane to existing roads for autonomous vehicles and you are done. If you eliminate the risk of crashes by not having these vehicles share lanes with cars and buses that should remove some of the largest drawbacks and risks. Disney has the gift of land and widening/expanding existing roads is way cheaper than building new. Something like this added to the side of existing roads:

997247AA-50E1-4F09-97FF-23EDE9B0A9B4.jpeg

OG Runner

I would assume a basic people mover system could be built even cheaper than an urban light rail system. On Disney property you have few issues with security and land use and none of the costs associated with digging up existing roads in the middle of a city. You don’t need to worry about pedestrians or vehicles crossing in front the system. You don’t need the system to be as rugged or vandalism resistant since it’s already behind a private security buffer.

I still think the cheapest option would be to just add a dedicated lane to existing roads for autonomous vehicles and you are done. If you eliminate the risk of crashes by not having these vehicles share lanes with cars and buses that should remove some of the largest drawbacks and risks. Disney has the gift of land and widening/expanding existing roads is way cheaper than building new. Something like this added to the side of existing roads:

View attachment 306822
So where were you, when they came up with the current plan? ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So where were you, when they came up with the current plan? ;)
They asked me for suggestions but I was skiing at the time so a gondola was the first thing that came to mind ;)

For the record, I do actually like the gondola for the route they chose. It’s a short distance but covers half the parks for a little less than a third of on property guests. It’s decent bang for the buck. For longer routes, like anything to/from AK I don’t know if it’s feasible. They need something else. It’s kinda cool to see different types of transport too. As much as I like the monorails, it’s good to have variety in boats, buses and now gondolas. Self driving mini-cars would be another cool addition, but I still think they need dedicated lanes. I’ve driven around WDW plenty of times and the only drivers worse than the clueless and lost tourists are the locals;). No way can you mix anything self driving with drivers at WDW.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I'm actually contemplating applying for a Skyliner role. Let us have a little change of pace, what do you guys think the costumes will look like?

I do not know what they will look like, but according to many on this web site they will not be themed properly, not up to the standard Walt would have demanded, not as nice as the last ones that Universal purchased, and will cost to much.

Skibum1970

View attachment 306822

I've always thought that these small conveyances would be so much fun at WDW. I stated once before that the best situation would be where you board and select your destination. The car would then do the rest. The only issue could be building enough capacity but it would be very interesting beyond that problem. Plus, you could make these also solar powered, though charging stations, and they would run clean and quietly.

nace888

I've always thought that these small conveyances would be so much fun at WDW. I stated once before that the best situation would be where you board and select your destination. The car would then do the rest. The only issue could be building enough capacity but it would be very interesting beyond that problem. Plus, you could make these also solar powered, though charging stations, and they would run clean and quietly.
Those pods are designed to handle capacity. If more pods are needed, this system will know based on button pushes and what not, and will automatically deploy those pods. It's a very interesting system. Look up London Heathrow pod system.

Skibum1970

Those pods are designed to handle capacity. If more pods are needed, this system will know based on button pushes and what not, and will automatically deploy those pods. It's a very interesting system. Look up London Heathrow pod system.

That was the first place I read about their use. I just didn't know if it could handle several thousand people all wanting to use one at the same time (ex. when the parks open or at closing time).

nace888

That was the first place I read about their use. I just didn't know if it could handle several thousand people all wanting to use one at the same time (ex. when the parks open or at closing time).
Yes, depending on station designs and whatnot, I want to say that the system is able to add more pods as needed. Don't 100% quote me on that though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom