News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

flynnibus

Premium Member
Or WDW will add more buses in the future.
You don't understand - or are dismissing the fear that people can have for traveling this way, and the prospect of it stranding them in the Florida heat and humidity.
I think the gondola's are cool, and I would enjoy riding them.
But again, we're not talking bus or train here modes of transportation that are everyday things for most Americans.

Because there is a difference between 'fear' and 'dig in my heels and starve because of that fear'. Someone may fear elevators, but when pressed, I'm sure still begrudgingly get on because climbing 20 flights of stairs is more disruptive than their fear. They don't stop fearing elevators... they just 'get by'.

For probably 95 out of 100 that think they would never ride this... will be fine after they try. For the 5 that refuse after that... go deal with your irrational fear on your terms. The world isn't going to bend to you.

Incomudro

I'm not sure why people think they're going to bend to a few people and also run buses. The options will be Skyliner or find your own way: Minnie Van, cab, Uber, drive your own vehicle, etc.

Same with the monorail - only time this will be replaced with buses is when its not operating.

For every one person out of a group that won't get on a gondola, that likely includes the entire family unit (or other group) that will therefore not get on it as well.

Bairstow

Part of what is paying for this system is a reduction in busses. Even if they don't completely eliminate the buses they will be significantly cut back.

Has this been confirmed?
Last I heard the gondola project was actually accompanying an expansion of WDW transportation offerings across the board, including bus services. Any bus resources freed up by the gondolas will be reallocated elsewhere to meet the growing need on other routes. What I was told was that as of last month, Disney still had some hundred new buses on order and were still actively expanding their driver pool.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Has this been confirmed?
Last I heard the gondola project was actually accompanying an expansion of WDW transportation offerings across the board, including bus services. Any bus resources freed up by the gondolas will be reallocated elsewhere to meet the growing need on other routes. What I was told was that as of last month, Disney still had some hundred new buses on order and were still actively expanding their driver pool.

It seems unlikely, if not foolish, to run the same bus schedule from these resorts to Epcot and DHS for the handful of people who don't use the gondolas. Unless they cut back on the buses and they only arrive once an hour instead of once every 20 minutes, which those guests will find as equally untenable as the gondolas.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Has this been confirmed?
But will the new buses have A/C ?

Kamikaze

Has this been confirmed?

Right - those buses and drivers will run other routes. Not the ones being covered by Skyliner.

mmascari

Has this been confirmed?

That's still a reduction in buses then.

If area X needs 20 more buses, and the Skyliner reduces buses to those resorts by 10 buses. As a whole, buses are still expanded, but not by as much.

It sounds like they're way under required capacity now vs provided capacity. Skyliner will reduce required capacity. If it's still above provided capacity, they'll still need to expand provided capacity in general. As long as the difference between the two is bigger than the reduction, they'll be adding buses somewhere in the system.

Goofyernmost

For every one person out of a group that won't get on a gondola, that likely includes the entire family unit (or other group) that will therefore not get on it as well.
Understood, however, the most obvious solution to that problem is to not stay in a Gondola resort. Why is that so difficult to figure out. There are many options, but, no, you want them to run a fleet of buses to accommodate your specific needs and that is not only incredibly entitled, but, way out of reasonable expectations. What does one do if they in their family one can't deal with the Monorail and another has a fear of boats. Other than not stay at the Poly, what are your choices.

Bairstow

It seems unlikely, if not foolish, to run the same bus schedule from these resorts to Epcot and DHS for the handful of people who don't use the gondolas. Unless they cut back on the buses and they only arrive once an hour instead of once every 20 minutes, which those guests will find as equally untenable as the gondolas.

Yeah, probably so, but that's not what I'm talking about.

That's still a reduction in buses then.

If area X needs 20 more buses, and the Skyliner reduces buses to those resorts by 10 buses. As a whole, buses are still expanded, but not by as much.

It sounds like they're way under required capacity now vs provided capacity. Skyliner will reduce required capacity. If it's still above provided capacity, they'll still need to expand provided capacity in general. As long as the difference between the two is bigger than the reduction, they'll be adding buses somewhere in the system.

Nothing is being reduced.
Between the increases in overall park attendance and overall resort occupancy, the current bus fleet is overextended and is being expanded. The gondola service, when it's running, will only partially offset the overall increase in bus operations, resort-wide.

Incomudro

Understood, however, the most obvious solution to that problem is to not stay in a Gondola resort. Why is that so difficult to figure out. There are many options, but, no, you want them to run a fleet of buses to accommodate your specific needs and that is not only incredibly entitled, but, way out of reasonable expectations. What does one do if they in their family one can't deal with the Monorail and another has a fear of boats. Other than not stay at the Poly, what are your choices.

I didn't say that I want them to run a fleet of buses to accommodate me.
Those are your words.
I'm simply pointing out that there are likely more people than you think that are going to be staying at gondola served hotels that will not get on a gondola.
Eliminating buses (if that's actually the case) at these resorts may leave more people looking for alternative means to and from the parks than you or I think.

Squigglove

When is this supposed to be ready?
I think it's great because the Gondola runs on electric, which will eliminate the fuel cost and toxicity of the buses. That's awesome!
I think it's logical to assume there will still be buses, it only makes sense. But I think, like some others do, that there won't be as many.

Kamikaze

When is this supposed to be ready?
I think it's great because the Gondola runs on electric, which will eliminate the fuel cost and toxicity of the buses. That's awesome!
I think it's logical to assume there will still be buses, it only makes sense. But I think, like some others do, that there won't be as many.

It will open next Summer-ish.

There will be pretty much just as many buses. They just won't be operating on these routes. (AoA/PC/CB/RR to DHS/Epcot)

Kamikaze

You will still be able to take a bus. It will just not be a direct one and you will have to change buses to get there.

Tough one to pull off. If you were at say Pop and wanted to go to Epcot without taking a bus, you'd have to go to either MK or AK, then take a bus back to Beach Club and enter through the IG entrance.

NormC

Tough one to pull off. If you were at say Pop and wanted to go to Epcot without taking a bus, you'd have to go to either MK or AK, then take a bus back to Beach Club and enter through the IG entrance.
Many options. Just none that are direct. I would rather take the gondolas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom