News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Epcot_Imagineer

Journal Entry 284:
Page 1002 on the Skyliner thread and still, they... they complain about the heat. We try and tell them that the monorail is sealed and is designed for constant Air Conditioning, but they do not listen.
"We will have to break the glass or die," they say.
We explain that those who built the Skyliner are experts at building Gondolas... and yet they tell us we know naught. We explain that they have built these same gondola's in other unforgiving climates, and still they argue on.
I will carry on the journey, hopefully I will survive to see the end. Say a prayer for me.

Jon81uk

Really bad comparison.
Granted, some people may be afraid of both.
But, you're really trying to compare a train sitting on a on a concrete platform vs a small box that hangs on a cable.
Size of the vehicle aside, one has a solid support under it and one has air.

and one has a steel pole and cable above it and the other has air above it.

They are still small metal boxes suspended above ground level

Rteetz

Learned a few things about yesterday's minor monorail incident.

Monorail Red broke down due to a propulsion issue between GF and MK. It had power for the majority of the time it was down so AC could run. Power was shut off once the tractor was in the area to pull it into the station. So the total downtime for Red was 37 minutes. No injuries or heat related guest issues were reported. Guests were told they could remove windows if needed.

Monorail Silver did not break down but was held for 22 minutes near the Contemporary because of Monorail Red. The fire truck you see in the Twitter photo was at the contemporary for a separate issue. It was a tanker truck so it couldn't have done much for monorail evacuation anyways. Silver never reportedly lost power.

wserratore1963

Journal Entry 284:
Page 1002 on the Skyliner thread and still, they... they complain about the heat. We try and tell them that the monorail is sealed and is designed for constant Air Conditioning, but they do not listen.
"We will have to break the glass or die," they say.
We explain that those who built the Skyliner are experts at building Gondolas... and yet they tell us we know naught. We explain that they have built these same gondola's in other unforgiving climates, and still they argue on.
I will carry on the journey, hopefully I will survive to see the end. Say a prayer for me.
Im really happy about the Skylinner and looking forward to it. Keep the faith! And Thank You

Incomudro

Being supported doesn't make a lot of difference when they are being evacuated though, you are still above ground level
It can make a huge difference to people who are afraid of these things.
Even to those that aren't. (I happen to like both modes of transportation.)
Your comparison is simply poor.
You're comparing a train car, that if stuck - is still the size of well... a train car - and rests on solid platform - with a more personal sized vehicle, that is suspended off of a cable - swaying.
You're not understating the psychological issues and differences that people who have issues with these things have.

Incomudro

and one has a steel pole and cable above it and the other has air above it.

They are still small metal boxes suspended above ground level

Vastly different sized boxes suspended above the ground by completely different means.
Do you really not understand the differences, or are you just trolling?

Grimley1968

I had a last minute business trip down to Orlando today, and was hoping to run over to take a look in person, but unfortunately the meeting ran long so I didn't have time. I was thinking of aiming for the Speedway gas station. Is there any other good place to look without having to pay for parking?

We actually drove to CBR one day in June and drove around the parking lots there. Some good views there. We just told the guard at the shack what we were doing and she was okay with that.

note2001

We actually drove to CBR one day in June and drove around the parking lots there. Some good views there. We just told the guard at the shack what we were doing and she was okay with that.

Just realized the potential number of offsite and local people who will be attempting to park their cars at the resorts for a day in the park. Its bound to increase over the number of people who do this already using the buses.

Jon81uk

Vastly different sized boxes suspended above the ground by completely different means.
Do you really not understand the differences, or are you just trolling?

Not trolling, just that there has been an example in the last few days of the monorail breaking down and people getting stuck without air conditioning. Whereas on the skyliner, most breakdowns will mean that they can use emergency generators to get it moving again quickly and there is already ventilation provision by default rather than relying on electrical cooling.

It’s not nice being in a breakdown situation on either, but if you are stuck you are still stuck above ground in a small metal box.

Also a brand new gondola system is much less likely to break than an ageing monorail train.

drizgirl

Just realized the potential number of offsite and local people who will be attempting to park their cars at the resorts for a day in the park. Its bound to increase over the number of people who do this already using the buses.
Given that it will save them $$$ (since only those paying to sleep there are charged for parking) plus it will allow them to use the hot new transportation option, I think the numbers will be very big.

Unbanshee

I had a last minute business trip down to Orlando today, and was hoping to run over to take a look in person, but unfortunately the meeting ran long so I didn't have time. I was thinking of aiming for the Speedway gas station. Is there any other good place to look without having to pay for parking?

Speedway is your best best, by far

Kamikaze

Heat is heat. Humidity only makes it worse. And the gondolas are designed to operate without AC....while movement helps create the breeze. Add to that you are in a more confined space that can fit up to 6 people.

You are basically walking into a hot box.

So it is your opinion that no matter what, an enclosed space is going to reach roughly the same temperature regardless of construction?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom