News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

SpoiledBlueMilk

Only one is suspended; the other is supported.

The wonders of modern engineering!

Come on guys, Disney didn't pull a bunch of schmucks off the street, hand them paper and pencil and ask them to design a gondola system. These manufacturers know what they are doing. Their engineers know what they're doing. Systems like this operate in worse climate than South Florida.

HiJe

The wonders of modern engineering!

Come on guys, Disney didn't pull a bunch of schmucks off the street, hand them paper and pencil and ask them to design Stitch's Great Escape. These manufacturers know what they are doing. Their engineers know what they're doing.

FTFY

Only joking, but I have the same sentiment. I think it will end up being a cool thing to take to the parks and hope it works to the point that they expand it to other resorts.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
No. The door opening rails could simply be disabled. Cabins would pass through without any opportunity for people to get off.

It's also still unclear if they would open the doors or not before Riviera opens because that station could also be used by people in the northern park of CBR.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for an adult reply. I know of the back up generator, but if that fails the question will be how long it will take to get the people down. I just don't know if it was worth Disney installing these.

The odds of both the main power and backup generator failing at the same time should be extremely small. There are some scenarios that would shut a line down, like a cable coming off the wheels on the tower, or a problem with drive gearbox, but again those failures should be rare. As for the evac time, at this point we do not know.

As much as Disney crams their busses and monorails with people packed in like sardines, it will not surprise me if Disney doesn't try to cram 10 people in each gondola.

The one big difference with the gondolas is that there is no provision for standing, so they can't cram more people then can fit on the benches. Also, since these are continuous loading, and have a very high capacity, at most times of the day it will not be necessary to fully load every car.

Incomudro

Well, Having served in the military and having been in numerous enclosed spaces that were designed to not get hot while moving...once they stop moving....they get HOT. And when you cram that space with 10 people who are already hot or sweaty and giving off their own heat and it's unbearably humid. Those little windows are doing nothing especially when the gondolas are not moving.

Imagine being stuck in that small space with say your family of four, plus maybe another family of four that perhaps have poor personal hygiene and two unruly children?
This is why I emphasize that the Gondola's (though I like them) are personal sized transportation.
It is not odd to be in a large space - a train car with many different people.
Even in a hot and crowded train, one or a group of people would have the ability to move to another section of the car if they found themselves too close to some people they would prefer not to be too close to.
It is odd to be in a smaller personal space with your group and one other group.
It's the intimacy of the small enclosure the proximity you are to one other party that you can not get away from.

starri42

Forgive me if this has already been answered in this ocean of a thread, but is there any indication of how they'll be loading the gondolas? I don't mean the physical act, I'm wondering if I'm going to have to make awkward small talk with a family of strangers as I glide across the sky for 11 minutes.

Grimley1968

My personal opinion is that the lines for this will usually be quick enough that if one party doesn't want to ride with another party, they can simply board the next gondola a few seconds later. Even if there are longer lines I don't think there will be a need to squeeze multiple groups in single gondolas.

With the bag check bottleneck at the parks between the gondola exit and the entrances, it won't matter if a party arrives 30 seconds later versus if they squeezed in with another party.

Incomudro

My personal opinion is that the lines for this will usually be quick enough that if one party doesn't want to ride with another party, they can simply board the next gondola a few seconds later. Even if there are longer lines I don't think there will be a need to squeeze multiple groups in single gondolas.

With the bag check bottleneck at the parks between the gondola exit and the entrances, it won't matter if a party arrives 30 seconds later versus if they squeezed in with another party.

That's essentially what I believe as well, and what I am hoping for.

Jon81uk

Imagine being stuck in that small space with say your family of four, plus maybe another family of four that perhaps have poor personal hygiene and two unruly children?
This is why I emphasize that the Gondola's (though I like them) are personal sized transportation.
It is not odd to be in a large space - a train car with many different people.
Even in a hot and crowded train, one or a group of people would have the ability to move to another section of the car if they found themselves too close to some people they would prefer not to be too close to.
It is odd to be in a smaller personal space with your group and one other group.
It's the intimacy of the small enclosure the proximity you are to one other party that you can not get away from.

Each monorail cabin has a bench down the middle to divide it into two sides, each of those sides holds maybe 20 people including standees. Chances of your family of four getting stuck very close to another family who have poor personal hygiene or unruly children is also quite high and there isn't very far to move away from them either.
The space you have in the monorail at peak times is not that greater than the space in a gondola cabin, you just all have to sit down instead of having some standing space.

Clamman73

As much as Disney crams their busses and monorails with people packed in like sardines, it will not surprise me if Disney doesn't try to cram 10 people in each gondola.
The buses can get crammed because there isn’t another one right behind it so they wait, and the monorails are only packed when there’s a lot of people waiting and it’s up to the people if they want to cram themselves in or not. (Which they seem to do lol)
With the videos show of the gondolas they get them out in a hurry...but I’m curious to see if they’ll be fine with letting a solo person go on their own even if there are others in line.

Incomudro

Each monorail cabin has a bench down the middle to divide it into two sides, each of those sides holds maybe 20 people including standees. Chances of your family of four getting stuck very close to another family who have poor personal hygiene or unruly children is also quite high and there isn't very far to move away from them either.
The space you have in the monorail at peak times is not that greater than the space in a gondola cabin, you just all have to sit down instead of having some standing space.

Man, you just fail to understand the difference between things.
I ride the NYC Subway five days a week - been doing that for 34 years.
Being in a subway car with various other people in various crowd conditions is an entirely different thing than being in say a Taxi Cab with just one other group.
It's the size of the enclosure.
It's the intimacy of the space.
It's psychological.
It's the mind giving the person an out. An ability to some extent of getting away from an undesirable situation even if that may not be technically possible.

Incomudro

You're objectively wrong.

This is a very American mindset to have.. that other people are yucky and I can't be close to them, but we'll all get over it and it will work out.

And what country is WDW located in? (yes, I know that WDW draws people from around the world)
The Gondola's are in the category of what most Americans consider to be a personal sized enclosure.
Now you can argue that you don't view things that way, or that I shouldn't either.
But that's the way things are.
Many other people are yucky, particularly in Disney World.

Jon81uk

Man, you just fail to understand the difference between things.
I ride the NYC Subway five days a week - been doing that for 34 years.
Being in a subway car with various other people in various crowd conditions is an entirely different thing than being in say a Taxi Cab with just one other group.
It's the size of the enclosure.
It's the intimacy of the space.
It's psychological.
It's the mind giving the person an out. An ability to some extent of getting away from an undesirable situation even if that may not be technically possible.

and on the Disneyworld monorail car you have only around double the space of the Skyliner gondola cabin. In both cases you are in a small enclosure.

GCTales

Thanks for an adult reply. I know of the back up generator, but if that fails the question will be how long it will take to get the people down. I just don't know if it was worth Disney installing these.

Do you have a generator to provide back up power during a storm?

looking at two possible times of why you would have to use back up power, it makes complete sense.
1. Short term - Loss of main power due to outside incident (e.g., something took out power lines providing power to Disney) and people are on line and you use to unload and shut down
2. Medium term- similar cause, but longer period and generators are used to maintain service in operable condition to provide normal service to guests.

Both causes could be due to something outside Disney control. Having the generators means guests see normal operation.

Kevin_W

And what country is WDW located in? (yes, I know that WDW draws people from around the world)
The Gondola's are in the category of what most Americans consider to be a personal sized enclosure.
Now you can argue that you don't view things that way, or that I shouldn't either.
But that's the way things are.
Many other people are yucky, particularly in Disney World.

Do you ski? Many/most of the ski gondolas I've been on have been with another group of people. It hasn't been a big deal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom