News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

LOL. That kid who posted that is so trying to ramp up hype with the language she's using. The proper part of it that is.
"There are legitimately infants and kids on here." -- um... as opposed to illegitimate infants and kids?
literally ... legitimately ... emergency

Use long words that end in "y" and sound smarter than your friends. Seriously...

lazyboy97o

I’ve said it beforehand, but the gondolas are a great example of why built design matters. Most of us spend our lives in cheap, poorly designed boxes with an air conditioner attached. No consideration is given to the actual climate. If the air conditioner breaks then it just becomes a hot box because it’s sealed up so that it can be dropped anywhere. Even ‘high end‘ or ‘energy efficient‘ construction is usually just sealed up tighter to prevent leaks. It is somewhat reasonable to expect the gondolas to act like nearly every other enclosed space one has experienced.

Last edited:

drizgirl

I expect that resorts on the skyliner route will be much more strict with parking, similar to the deluxe resorts on the monorail loop. I also wish that Disney would limit bus riders at Disney Springs to resort guests only, to eliminate that loophole.
I'd like to think they would. But that's not really Disney's strong suit.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I just thought of something. The Skyliner has a large number of gondolas moving at the same time on the lines.
What happens if there is a power outage and the gondolas stop for a prolonged period of time?
How long will it take to evacuate 10 people from each gondola over varying types of terrain?

That could take a very long time. And Disney better hope that nobody is claustrophobic.

If the power goes out, the backup generator takes over. There are very few scenarios that would ever shut down all three lines at that same time, so at most they have to evac one line. We have seen a bunch of special equipment that will be used for evacs and Reedy Creek fire has been practicing the evac process.

Kamikaze

Well, Having served in the military and having been in numerous enclosed spaces that were designed to not get hot while moving...once they stop moving....they get HOT. And when you cram that space with 10 people who are already hot or sweaty and giving off their own heat and it's unbearably humid. Those little windows are doing nothing especially when the gondolas are not moving.

Why is it recommended to put your shades/blinds down when its hot out?
Why does it keep your car cooler if you use a sunshade?

The gondola cabins are built with minimizing heat without using internal AC in mind. The monorails were built with keeping it cool by using AC in mind. There is a difference. Just because both things are enclosed doesn't mean they will reach the same temperatures at the same rate.

Kamikaze

If the power goes out, the backup generator takes over. There are very few scenarios that would ever shut down all three lines at that same time, so at most they have to evac one line. We have seen a bunch of special equipment that will be used for evacs and Reedy Creek fire has been practicing the evac process.

And as has been posted dozens of times, gondola lifts are one of the most reliable forms of transportation ever invented.

joelkfla

Well, Having served in the military and having been in numerous enclosed spaces that were designed to not get hot while moving...once they stop moving....they get HOT. And when you cram that space with 10 people who are already hot or sweaty and giving off their own heat and it's unbearably humid. Those little windows are doing nothing especially when the gondolas are not moving.
They will be moving constantly, except for individual cabins that are actively loading or unloading a wheelchair. They will move very slowly thru the stations, but the doors will be open, they'll be in the shade, and there appear to be high velocity fans aimed towards the cabins' side vent window.

It's very unlikely that they will be fully loaded with 10 riders during the hot afternoons. There aren't many Guests traveling at that time of day.

joelkfla

literally ... legitimately ... emergency

Use long words that end in "y" and sound smarter than your friends. Seriously...
Oh yeah, "emergency" is a really impressive long word -- not!

Maybe "legitimately" & "literally" are just parts of her pattern of speech, like kids used "totally" a couple of decades ago. Seems like you guys are just being mean.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Heat, humidity, phobias, evacuations, darkness, whatever!
I'm just bummed they won't be ready by Aug.19. I booked Pop in hopes of riding the gondolas.
Some of you here gave me hope, you know who you are! :cautious:😄

SLUSHIE

I went resort mountain biking for the first time and was able to get some photos of controls etc. for a chairlift. I thought some of you might find it interesting.

This lift is at Northstar California and is called Martis Camp Express. It was built in 2000 by Garaventa CTEC which has since merged with Doppelmeyr. When I worked at this resort about 10 years ago, I operated this lift a couple of times.

Inside the shack. There are two sets of controls inside, one where an operator may be sitting looking out, and another set on the 'board' on the right. The seated control panel has most of the controls needed to operate the lift in normal operation while the board has some additional controls (variable speed controls, ready override key, many other things).

This is probably around the time that digital screens just started appearing on lifts. The screen would display some basic details like speed etc. while in operation or what fault caused the lift to stop. Modern lifts now have touchscreens that let you look at all different kinds of Information about the lift.

This is a diagram of the station, most of the LEDs indicate some type of sensor that gets tripped by a chair passing though the terminal. I may have been more familiar with what they all were at some point but have no idea now. The lamp test button would light up all the LEDs to check that they work properly. This is something that would be visible on the touchscreens of a modern lift.

Another set of controls for when the operator is standing outside.

When the lift is being closed these tags are attached to a chair after the last guest, one at the bottom and one at the top for any downloaders. The chair isn't stopped (permanently) until the flag arrives at the other station to guarantee (but it can still happen) that nobody is still on the lift.

Chairs in 'storage' for summer.

Last edited:

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
I vote we all keep expressing our various fears in perpetuity, long after the Skyliner has opened.

We should see what the limits of the forum software truly are page count wise...
I worry that I'm a bad father. That I'm not preparing my daughter well enough for the life ahead of her. I fear that nothing I do will ever really matter in the long run. That I won't have any lasting impact on the world. I lie awake at night suffocating on my own wasted potential.

Or did you mean our fears about the gondolas?

durangojim

I’ve read that some people think that the Riviera station won’t be open on 9/29 but doesn’t that mean no one could take the gondolas to Epcot?

durangojim

I went resort mountain biking for the first time and was able to get some photos of controls etc. For a chairlift. I though some of you might find it interesting.

This lift is at Northstar California and is called Martis Camp Express. It was built in 2000 by Garaventa CTEC which has since merged with Doppelmeyr. When I worked at this resort about 10 years ago, I operated this lift a couple times.

View attachment 390820

Inside the shack. There are two sets of controls inside, one where an operator may be sitting looking out, and another set on the 'board' wall on the right. The seated control panel has most of the controls needed to operate the lift in normal operation while the board has some additional controls (with many more at the drive station, this is the return station).

View attachment 390821

This is probably around the time that digital screens just started appearing on lifts. The screen would display some basic details like speed etc. While in operation or what fault etc. caused the lift to stop. Modern lifts now have touchscreens that let you look at all different kinds of Information about the lift.

View attachment 390823

This is a diagram of the station, and each one of the LEDs indicates some type of sensor that gets tripped by a chair passing though the terminal. I may have been more familiar with what they all were at some point but have no idea now. The lamp test button would light up all the LEDs to check that they work properly. This is something that would be visible on the touchscreens of a modern lift.

View attachment 390824

Another set of controls for when the operator is standing outside.

View attachment 390826

When the lift is being closed, these tags are attached to a chair after the last guest. The chair isn't closed until the flag arrives at the other station to guarantee (bit it can happen) nobody is still on the lift.

View attachment 390827

Chairs in 'storage' for summer.

View attachment 390841
It must be very hot because there is no air conditioning

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I worry that I'm a bad father. That I'm not preparing my daughter well enough for the life ahead of her. I fear that nothing I do will ever really matter in the long run. That I won't have any lasting impact on the world. I lie awake at night suffocating on my own wasted potential.

Or did you mean our fears about the gondolas?
One of the things I worry about:
Being financially prepared for when retirement comes. I don't want to be a burden to anyone.

Worry or afraid of the gondolas? Nope.

DisneyCane

Thank you for your service!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom