News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

cosmicgirl

- I still fully expect bus service to be eliminated once the system is fully operational and running smoothly. So I would say it was realistic even if plans may change.

- I’m still not sure how successful limited bus service would be. You can’t remove buses without drastically increasing the interval between buses. Guests never respond well to that.

- Possibly. But I don’t believe we have actually seen an increase at those resorts yet. I don’t think we can definitively say how how much more people are or are not willing to pay for skyliner access.
Pop increased ~12% in March or April. I didn't keep track of the other resorts.

peter11435

Even if you have inside information of the reason's given for a decision, that doesn't rule out the possibility that the same decision could have reached for other reasons. I maintain that stating that it never would have happened but for a single factor is an opinion, not a fact.
This isn’t a chicken or egg situation. We know which one came first. They weren’t searching for reasons to build the skyliner. The skyliner was born out of a direction to reduce bus service expenses and associated traffic. It would never have been blue skied or pursued if not for an initiative to reduce the buses.

peter11435

I actually agree with you about the intent to replace bus service. I just take issue with your telling another poster that they "can't disagree".
Understandable. I wouldn’t tell someone they can’t disagree with my opinion. But this isn’t an opinion. We can have opinions about if the bus service will actually be removed. But Disney’s original plans and the intent of the skyliner is a fact.

Kamikaze

Could have been here or another board but I had that debate with some folks who claim to "know Disney" and have inside info. Not going to take the time to search through. I'll just exit stage right on this one -- I've already wasted too much time here today! 😁

The GF-MK walkway is a one-time sunk cost, however, not something that has to be supported with staffing and other costs on a daily basis.

Jon81uk

Yea, definitely a big "if." I can definitely see Disney wanting to eliminate a some buses if they have two but I feel like a lot of people will be afraid to use the gondola system. I could be wrong there.

Also, I see in your signature that you'll be at WDW in Late Oct/Early Nov. I'll be there the same time! Woot woot!
There is no provision for people staying at the Grand Floridian that are too scared to get the monorail to Epcot.

Rteetz

How long is that expected to last? I'd always heard one of purposes of the Skyliner was to be more efficient than and a replacement for buses from those resorts to HS and Epcot.

Not sure was just told buses will stay for Disney to gauge things. Like others I assume it will eventually go away or be reduced once everything is in working order and running smoothly.
Isn't @Rteetz essentially saying something similar though... that they are planning to have people on the other two lines before SWGE opens? There can be a difference between the grand opening of a store and when people start shopping

Correct
It’s crazy because they would never have approved the expense of constructing and operating the skyliner if it didn’t include the removal of bus service and associated expenses on those routes.

Yep buses will eventually go away but not right away.
Do we know if all the routes will be open as of 9/29?
Yes
- I still fully expect bus service to be eliminated once the system is fully operational and running smoothly. So I would say it was realistic even if plans may change.

- I’m still not sure how successful limited bus service would be. You can’t remove buses without drastically increasing the interval between buses. Guests never respond well to that.

- Possibly. But I don’t believe we have actually seen an increase at those resorts yet. I don’t think we can definitively say how how much more people are or are not willing to pay for skyliner access.
Yeah guests have issues with bus times already so increasing that wait time wouldn't be a good thing.

joelkfla

Neither are gondolas.
They are to some people. Case in point: a local newscast carried the drone video when reporting the opening date last night.

Female anchor to male anchor: "Jury's still on whether you'll get in one of those things."
Male anchor: "Yeah, of course, it's just like when you go skiing."
Female anchor: "When's the last time you went skiing?!"

Last edited:

note2001

People that think the gondolas are scary should also find the monorail scary.

LOL. That kid who posted that is so trying to ramp up hype with the language she's using. The proper part of it that is.
"There are legitimately infants and kids on here." -- um... as opposed to illegitimate infants and kids?

Scary is the idea that I might be left in a gondola overnight when they shut down the system 😬
🤣 Has anyone said that one yet? Please let me be first!

cosmicgirl

Was this greater than the increase seen at all-stars and other resorts?
I think so but I don't have the data to back it up so I can't say with certainty. Art also saw a substantial increase with rates now close to $200 for a mermaid room most of the year and Jan 1st at a whopping $284. The week between Christmas and New Year in 2020 is even up to $294.

LOL. That kid who posted that is so trying to ramp up hype with the language she's using. The proper part of it that is.
"There are legitimately infants and kids on here." -- um... as opposed to illegitimate infants and kids?

Scary is the idea that I might be left in a gondola overnight when they shut down the system 😬
🤣 Has anyone said that one yet? Please let me be first!
It's a free night on Disney property and you'll be the first one at the park gates in the morning. Sounds like a win to me!

LuvWDW2

I’ll never understand the people demanding the buses need to stay. If you are afraid of the gondolas, stay somewhere else. We have an opening date and we’ve known for months and months they were being built and opening in the fall. There are no buses from Epcot resorts to DHS (except when boats are down). Why would the gondola resorts be expected to be different than the Epcot resorts?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom