News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

joelkfla

Questions for Lift Blog:
  1. What's the black rail-like structure to the right of the support rail?
  2. Do the wheels above the rail in the storage area indicate parking will be automated?
  3. Do you see any evidence of mechanically operated doors in the video?

rickdrat

Does anyone know if there's a practical reason behind the open air storage racks at the CBR station? Aside from being bad show, I would think there'd be some advantage to storing them out of the elements.

JoeCamel

Does anyone know if there's a practical reason behind the open air storage racks at the CBR station? Aside from being bad show, I would think there'd be some advantage to storing them out of the elements.
The only time they would be stored is in case of a high wind storm. In that case it is enough to get them off the lines and all bunched together
Eta; Or the yard is for service and could be used if a rope had to be replaced. Either way the cabins will not be in storage often.

Last edited:

Movielover

Well I suppose to the extent that's it's a "storage area" for unused equipment. Perhaps I should rephrase it to "backstage area visible to guests riding overhead".

I can see your point there but I don't think its that big of a deal. Was the old Skyway storage area open as well?

the.dreamfinder

Lines, check. Cars, check (partially). Stations, long way off, especially Riviera.
The stations need finishing and landscaping. Only Riviera needs any significant paving, which can be done in a weeks time.

To review (Based on the recent Bio aerial photos):
DHS: Minor detailing and pavement accents. Could open independent of the new tram entrance/security check.
CBR: Detailing on exterior, landscaping and some paving.
Epcot: Minor detailing, landscaping and connecting the entry/exit to existing paths.
Pop/AoA: Security check points and little detailing.
Riviera: Structural finishing, detailing, landscaping, considerably more paving than the other stations.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
From the Disney Parks Blog:

Several gondolas will be adorned with graphics based on Disney films, attractions and characters. So for example, you may jump into a gondola where from the ground it will look like Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Pluto or Chip & Dale are riding along with you. Several Disney animated films will be represented, including “Beauty & the Beast,” “Frozen,” “Lilo & Stitch,” “Moana,” “Peter Pan,” “The Princess and the Frog,” “Ralph Breaks the Internet,” “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” and “Zootopia.”
Here’s a sneak peek at what a few of these special gondolas will look like:
wgs29348928347234-613x195.jpg

The other themed gondolas that will be part of the system include:
  • “Coco”
  • Goofy, Pete, Horace Horsecollar and Clarabelle Cow
  • “Finding Dory”
  • The Haunted Mansion
  • “Monsters, Inc.”
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • “Ratatouille”

I hope they have benches near the station for the vloggers to capture every variant and comment on their aesthetics.

Lift Blog

Questions for Lift Blog:
  1. What's the black rail-like structure to the right of the support rail?
  2. Do the wheels above the rail in the storage area indicate parking will be automated?
  3. Do you see any evidence of mechanically operated doors in the video?

1. Looks like there are contacts to charge the batteries when moving through the stations. This makes it so no solar panels are needed and the cabins don't need to be parked/plugged in at night.

2. The parking looks mostly automated. Anywhere there are tires is automated and the cabins can simply coast in the straights. The curves with no tires will require pushing by people.

3. The doors look mechanically operated but the reason they look different than normal is there are wheels on both sides of the hangar. I've never seen that before. Probably to be burlier/more reliable/harder to break.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

One though I had was storm water control. It looks like the "floor" of the storage area is just gravel, so if they don't put on a roof it doesn't count as a non-permeable surface for which they would have to do storm water control. There is also a lot of extra cost to building a building around them that will just sit empty 99% of the time. Not only do you need to build that structure but you need lighting, ventilation, fire suppression, etc.

Patcheslee

One though I had was storm water control. It looks like the "floor" of the storage area is just gravel, so if they don't put on a roof it doesn't count as a non-permeable surface for which they would have to do storm water control. There is also a lot of extra cost to building a building around them that will just sit empty 99% of the time. Not only do you need to build that structure but you need lighting, ventilation, fire suppression, etc.
Is it bad I just had a flashback to my works monthly safety training videos? Yhink October or November is our environmental awareness ones lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom