News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

SLUSHIE

I think the doors are mechanical. You can see where the cable goes into the roof above the doors, they just haven't run the cable up the arm to connect to the lever (which also doesn't appear to be in place yet). The part dangling off the side is what connects to the lever. It's basically a washer attached to the end of the cable that gets bolted to the lever. The cable is pulled and pushed within the black sleeve by the lever to open and close the doors.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

What's the advantage of electric doors over mechanical ones?
It is like the self cleaning process on your oven. You cannot get the doors open until everything is done or in this case completely cooked. Seriously though, I don't know how they work but I would think that mechanical doors would be far more dependable and not subject to power interruptions. Besides wouldn't they have to have more then a "trickle" of electrical power to each Gondola to power those doors? They aren't exactly light weight.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
It is like the self cleaning process on your oven. You cannot get the doors open until everything is done or in this case completely cooked. Seriously though, I don't know how they work but I would think that mechanical doors would be far more dependable and not subject to power interruptions. Besides wouldn't they have to have more then a "trickle" of electrical power to each Gondola to power those doors? They aren't exactly light weight.

This is what I was thinking, that mechanical would be more reliable, less things to go wrong. If they were electric I assume the would be powered only when they are in the station, the grip would make contact with a power source to power the car while in the station.

Goofyernmost

This is what I was thinking, that mechanical would be more reliable, less things to go wrong. If they were electric I assume the would be powered only when they are in the station, the grip would make contact with a power source to power the car while in the station.
OK, so now you have uncovered the next deadly hazard. Should you manage to live through the easy bake oven set up, the flying off the wire in the wind, dead by lightning scenario, the drop into the alligators dining table, now it is the fact that the possibility of being electrocuted if you touch any metal part as they open the door. There is just no way to survive those death chambers in the sky, They have every possibility covered. John McClane wouldn't make it out alive.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you look at Doppelmyrs own website... you can see photos of the omega cabin with the bits actually assembled...

FE8741B5-7F46-41F6-BBF7-0CDBE0D65D8E.jpeg

9CFA69FA-65C5-4FB7-BFC6-1D40EE50A8AA.jpeg

D2A08452-85E1-40C3-AE2D-F702A361CA05.jpeg

Since we see the black cable just kind of lying there on top of the cabins in the photos at wdw... that suggests to me the installation is not complete (no reason for such excess cable) and e may still get the mechanical actuation installed on the hanger.

So I file this under... please continue to hold... your cabins will be completed soon... ;)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
If you look at Doppelmyrs own website... you can see photos of the omega cabin with the bits actually assembled...

View attachment 344635
View attachment 344636
View attachment 344637

Since we see the black cable just kind of lying there on top of the cabins in the photos at wdw... that suggests to me the installation is not complete (no reason for such excess cable) and e may still get the mechanical actuation installed on the hanger.

So I file this under... please continue to hold... your cabins will be completed soon... ;)

Especially since we know the cabins arrive without the hangers installed. Installing the door opening mechanism is just one more step in the process.

JoeCamel

I think the doors are mechanical. You can see where the cable goes into the roof above the doors, they just haven't run the cable up the arm to connect to the lever (which also doesn't appear to be in place yet). The part dangling off the side is what connects to the lever. It's basically a washer attached to the end of the cable that gets bolted to the lever. The cable is pulled and pushed within the black sleeve by the lever to open and close the doors.

View attachment 344635
View attachment 344636
View attachment 344637

So still working out what the boxes are holding.....

Lift Blog

The reason I brought up the door mechanisms is because the opening/closing rails seem to be missing from the WDW terminals. Look above the chairs at Big Sky and you'll see the bulge where the door (bubble) opening rail is. I don't see these on any of the Skyliner stations, which could mean electric doors activated by simple proximity switches. Just a guess.
IMG_5743.jpg

surfsupdon

In reference to the CBR hub station and pedestrian access....

I visited CBR during Marathon Weekend and saw that sidewalk pathways were being installed with crosswalks traversing Sea Breeze Drive, which is now the main entrance to the Resort off of Victory. It seems silly and unsafe to have Guests crossing right behind the guardhouse, on the main roadway that takes Guests to Check In and the main entrance for all buses. I imagine the SkyLiner will be popular and there will be a lot of people crossing the roadway to get back to their CBR room. This will cause roadway jams too.

I thought I had seen here that a walkway would be constructed from the Promenade by Jamaica and pass underneath the road bridge, and head to the CBR hub station. That does seem it would be must safer. Any update to this project?? Similar to the pedestrian walkway that passes under the roadway to get from Barbados (Trinidad North) to Trinidad (T.South).

Also, saw that the Promenade over by Aruba 54-56 is widening on its approach to the Riviera station.

kelknight84

Bioreconstruct just took a photo of 322 today.

The reason I brought up the door mechanisms is because the opening/closing rails seem to be missing from the WDW terminals. Look above the chairs at Big Sky and you'll see the bulge where the door (bubble) opening rail is. I don't see these on any of the Skyliner stations, which could mean electric doors activated by simple proximity switches. Just a guess.
IMG_5743.jpg
@Lift Blog looking at the right hand picture from Bioreconstruct there is something sticking down that looks similar to your picture. Is that decoration or is it the thing for the doors?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I think the unpack after 12 months is what the protective cover is rated. The green recycling symbol is identifying as polypropylene, usually used to for furniture and things.

Correct. I was just pointing out that if the instructions are to "unwrap in 12 months" then the number is the box should be the date it was wrapped so it's clear when 12 months is.

Lift Blog

@Lift Blog looking at the right hand picture from Bioreconstruct there is something sticking down that looks similar to your picture. Is that decoration or is it the thing for the doors?
I don’t see any door opener on the outside edge of that station, which is normally where it would be. One possible advantage of electric doors: if someone or something is stuck in them, the motor could go into overcurrent and stop. Mechanical doors often just break.

kurtk

I don’t see any door opener on the outside edge of that station, which is normally where it would be. One possible advantage of electric doors: if someone or something is stuck in them, the motor could go into overcurrent and stop. Mechanical doors often just break.
And I assume there would be a mechanical override in the event of loss of power?

Movielover

And I assume there would be a mechanical override in the event of loss of power?

Negative Ghostrider, instead all that happens when there is a loss of power is a small hatch opens containing a paper clip, a stick of gum, and a very small thimble. Congrats, you have to Macgyver your way out!

Goofyernmost

On the plus side of all this, I see an opportunity to revive the career of Bruce Willis by creating a theme park thriller titled.... "Multiple Ways to Die Hard". Sub titled... "I'm to old for this crap". The story of a retired Policeman on a relaxing vacation trip to WDW. He didn't do his research and booked at POP Century and one fateful morning headed for DHS and a series of predictable disasters occur along the way challenging John McClane's ability to survive. Watch for surprise clues to the sequel during the running of the credits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom