• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner

TiggerDad

Advertisement
Sure, if you're in a hurry. Generally if I'm not going to the parks, and taking transportation, I'm not looking for the fastest way from A to B.
Good thing, because your route is going to take months.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sure, if you're in a hurry. Generally if I'm not going to the parks, and taking transportation, I'm not looking for the fastest way from A to B.
I will probably look for a way to ride the gondolas once they open just to try them out. Probably to hop between DHS and EPCOT but maybe another route too. I know I’ve been on those friendship boats a lot more times than I’ve stayed at an EPCOT resort. I’m not sure I will consistently go out of my way to ride in the future, but definitely on my first trip.

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
I will probably look for a way to ride the gondolas once they open just to try them out. Probably to hop between DHS and EPCOT but maybe another route too. I know I’ve been on those friendship boats a lot more times than I’ve stayed at an EPCOT resort. I’m not sure I will consistently go out of my way to ride in the future, but definitely on my first trip.
Just grab a lunch at CBR if you're ever at Epcot or waiting for them to call your number to get into DHS.

tractor tipper

Has anybody got video of rope splicing at WDW? It would be really great if Disney would release it, maybe they will have a construction special in the future.

jbolen2

I would only do that if I remembered to bring my lifetime refillable mug :)
This brings up a question we had I our family. We have 4 “lifetime” mugs we bought at the fort many years back but weren’t sure if they even let you use them now with the rfid cups.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This brings up a question we had I our family. We have 4 “lifetime” mugs we bought at the fort many years back but weren’t sure if they even let you use them now with the rfid cups.
No they definitely don’t work. I was just making a joke. Lifetime refill mugs are one of the most well known Disney urban legends.

tigerlight

It’s nothing new. “Complimentary Transport” has been a listed perk of resorts for decades. It’s a marketing twist to suggest added value. Same way Fastpass is also often listed. It’s not a lie, nor is it the whole truth.

This system was not designed to be payable at the entrance. If management decide they aren’t wringing enough money out of guests as it is, it could happen. But it wasn’t designed nor pitched as such.

If anything, none resort guests using the system to park hop and for ADRs are part of the financials.
You should know better than anyone, Marni, that in the past the Transportation System was NOT considered complimentary, and in fact WDW transportation system "passes" were sold for a nominal amount... I think the passes were last sold in the 90s (despite no enforcement by bus drivers asking to see pass or room key).

Last edited:

tigerlight

I'm wondering if the Skyway changes business as usual. I'm hoping not as I prefer the current system but we'll see.
I think the real issue will be capacity (and YES, I know many of you claim to have seen throughput numbers) but those of us that have used these systems at ski resorts know a few things:

1. It takes time for people to get on and off of Gondolas. Even athletic people. When you are dealing with older people, families, little kids, strollers, etc., you are going to have some very slow people taking their sweet time getting on and off. Ten second dispatch? I really really really doubt that....

2. I realize these things seat 8 people BUT they will not separate families and "grouping" will be challenging. Paired with a desire to load quickly and I think many gondolas will go out with empty seats.

At ski resorts (and people have their skis OFF before they load the Gondola) long lines, slow moving lines for these systems are COMMON. The line will only move as fast as EACH group moves. One slow group will slow down the entire line. Watch and see.

IF long lines happen, then you will definitely see efforts to reduce demand through limitations on who can ride and when. It doesn't take long to install a Magic Band reader!

Before you comment on "oh it will be the same as ever" and "there will be TONS of capacity except during very peak times" I'd ask you to comment on whether you've experienced these systems at major ski resorts where a) athletic people hop on quickly and b) far fewer people are trying to board than will be the case at Disney, and c) observed the lines....

Corey P

No they definitely don’t work. I was just making a joke. Lifetime refill mugs are one of the most well known Disney urban legends.
No, my parents bought some Wilderness Lodge forever cups and they were sold as forever. They used those till fairly recently, the CM's got a jolly out of my parents still having the cups. Think they worked up until the RFID tags and my parents were told you are out of luck.

tigerlight

Some people will do that, sure. You could also, you know... take a bus directly to the Boardwalk. Which is what most people in that situation would do.
EVERYONE will want to ride it. It's a (supposedly) FREE ride at WDW. Yes I know, the busses are free and the monorail is free, but this will be new and shiny, not to mention a much longer experience than the monorail. Plus it will be easily accessible to FREE parking at Disney Springs (take any bus to one of the Skyliner resorts). Plus - gondolas are fun! Why did Walt put it into DL, or why did it go into the MK? Both were still popular rides when they were removed. This system is vastly longer than either of those!

tigerlight

DHS to CBR, change lines, CBR through Rivera to Epcot. Should be less the 15 minutes depending on how long it takes to change lines at CBR.
In a perfect world, sure... but it all depends on the lines at each station, whether they make you go to the end (behind guests waiting at CBR to board) if you are "in transit", etc.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
IF long lines happen, then you will definitely see efforts to reduce demand through limitations on who can ride and when. It doesn't take long to install a Magic Band reader!
Have you ever taken the Friendship boats from DHS after Fantasmic or fireworks? There are long lines waiting for the next boat and they have never inslled readers. Same goes for the monorail at either MK or EPCOT. There can be huge lines and especially on a night when Illuminations ends several hours before MK closes. Tons of people hopping to MK and most aren’t staying at a monorail resort. Again, no readers ever added. I think you over estimate Disney’s concern for guests waiting in lines.

tigerlight

Have you ever taken the Friendship boats from DHS after Fantasmic or fireworks? There are long lines waiting for the next boat and they have never inslled readers. Same goes for the monorail at either MK or EPCOT. There can be huge lines and especially on a night when Illuminations ends several hours before MK closes. Tons of people hopping to MK and most aren’t staying at a monorail resort. Again, no readers ever added. I think you over estimate Disney’s concern for guests waiting in lines.
Yes done all of that. I think the Gondolas will be a far bigger draw than the boats and far lower capacity than the monorail. If guests paying for a resort on the Gondola find themselves waiting more than 30+ minutes for it regularly then Disney will do things to limit access, such as requiring a Magic Band linked to a hotel reservation either onsite OR at one of the hotels served by the system. Personally I hope it doesn't happen but I know how slow loading these systems can be...

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
I think the real issue will be capacity (and YES, I know many of you claim to have seen throughput numbers) but those of us that have used these systems at ski resorts know a few things:

1. It takes time for people to get on and off of Gondolas. Even athletic people. When you are dealing with older people, families, little kids, strollers, etc., you are going to have some very slow people taking their sweet time getting on and off. Ten second dispatch? I really really really doubt that....

2. I realize these things seat 8 people BUT they will not separate families and "grouping" will be challenging. Paired with a desire to load quickly and I think many gondolas will go out with empty seats.

At ski resorts (and people have their skis OFF before they load the Gondola) long lines, slow moving lines for these systems are COMMON. The line will only move as fast as EACH group moves. One slow group will slow down the entire line. Watch and see.

Before you comment on "oh it will be the same as ever" and "there will be TONS of capacity except during very peak times" I'd ask you to comment on whether you've experienced these systems at major ski resorts where a) athletic people hop on quickly and b) far fewer people are trying to board than will be the case at Disney, and c) observed the lines....
Your experience pales in comparison to @Lift Blog's and he not only support the numbers we're throwing around, he even says they'll be higher. So, if you want a urinating contest of who knows best based on experience, trickle away.

Oh, and read the thread before you comment.

Top Bottom