News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

JoeCamel

There is no reason to not run it with all the cabins on the line at all times. Sometimes when there is lower demand, lifts will run at a slower speed. I'm not necessarily sure of the exact reason for that, but its probably just a cost savings on electricity to run it at a slower speed when not needed

Do we know that those little boxes on top of the cabins are for?
What boxes? I looked at WDW's pictures and don't see anything but the hanger arm attachments?

Unbanshee

What boxes? I looked at WDW's pictures and don't see anything but the hanger arm attachments?

Maybe this image from BlogMickey's post: http://blogmickey.com/2019/01/disney-skyliner-gondola-cabins-spotted-at-walt-disney-world/

org_dsc07127.jpg

JohnD

I was at WDW this past weekend. After a front blew through winds were up to more than 15mph. I got thinking when WDW would suspend Skyliner due to winds.

Amused to Death

But Boardwalk? I might as well just walk over the DHS, it'd be faster.

I take it you haven't seen any of the thousands of people who line up every day for the Friendship boats to go to/from the BoardWalk or Yacht Club and even the Beach Club (?!) to get to/from the International Gateway at Epcot. Talk about your short walks!

OG Runner

Wow, I realized I had not checked on this discussion in a while. To the point, that I was not getting notifications of
new posts. I was about 30 pages behind. I figured I must have missed a lot. I actually read through and found not
really much. (sparrows, thermal expansion, nubbiness)

Kevin_W

LOL. True. Just wondering the threshold.

I've skied in some pretty windy conditions. This is not an informed number, but I think than many ski resorts close lifts at ~40mph winds. I'm sure it depends on more factors that just straight wind wind speed. Here is what Dopplemeyer has to say if there are any structural engineers out there that can translate:

• Support sheave assembly with +30 % sheave load and +42 % wind load
  • Hold-down sheave assembly with +14 % sheave load and +16 % wind load
  • Combination sheave assembly with +25% sheave load and +16 % wind load

righttrack

still think this method of transportation looks tacky and a cheap way out of other options

Yes, but it will pull people who would normally have used bus transportation, perhaps bringing a little relief, but more likely just increasing capacity given the resorts they are building. The problem with these is that they aren't going to run them in an electrical storm. Given daily thunder/lightening especially in spring/summer, they are going to be down a lot I guess.

Buses are the premiere option for transport. Not because they are comfortable or luxurious (they are not). They are just instantly scalable to get extra transportation where it is needed quickly.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I still think some kind of tram system like at some airports (similar to a monorail but maybe on the ground level the majority of places I don't know) or transportation like a people mover system would look better for Disney - obviously way more expensive though which is why we have exhibit A

I just hope they can find a good system to link all the resorts and parks together without it looking like a mess

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom