News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
So, I know as with all WDW pictures, the scale is very deceiving. But, I can't see how people will get to the inside of the turn?

I'm assuming people will load/unload in both directions. Not sure which side is going which way. Getting to the outside of the bend looks straight forward and there looks like plenty of space for the unload and load legs in the straightaway sections.

Is it just to soon in the construction to see a longer path around the left to get to the inside of the turn? Along with the trick of scale making the inside legs look short for unload and load? There's less extra station structure on the inside of the turn too.

I suppose, just have to wait for the next pictures to clear it up....
It looks to me like there's a tunnel under the platform to the inside of the curve. It's hard to see here, but if you go to the full size image on Twitter, that walkway coming in from the lower left appears to be on a lower level than the rest of the station. There also appear to be railings on the outside of the station that would block the walkway if it were on the same level.

The pathway is a little lower then the platform, but there is no tunnel. You can see this in the earlier aerials.

1537569777619.png

Lensman

Its amazing you say that. my Fiance was a WDW first timer and a designer...and she never even noticed the colors on the monorails. I think that for many first timers, there is just soooooo much stimulus going on that details like colors are just lost on the casual fan. I would not doubt 90% of the guests at WDW never notice things like the Main St windows, monorail colors or other details that we love to wallow in.
Yup! I agree!

But among other things, it's the small touches that you don't notice that make your experience feel more cohesive. It's like how some hotel chains are having the same subtle scent in the lobbies of all their properties. Plus it's fun for returning visitors - like finding hidden Mickeys.

To me, it's the purple road signage that makes me feel like I've "returned home".

They don't have to match the monorail, but they could extend the resort color palettes to the gondola cabins or have them extend the color palette of the resorts. Or they could come up with another color palette for the Skyliner itself.

Creathir

You mean the storage racks? That is where the cabins will be taken offline in the event of a storm. There will be a set for each line.
One thing which is interesting, we’ve been told there isn’t going to be a roof, but there is clearly some sort of structure on top of the racks.

Is this normal on these type of storage racks @Lift Blog ?

Ripken10

With the capacity Disney is shooting for they may be so close together in the station that that might not be sufficient.
From my experience with gondolas, FWIW, the gondolas in a Disney station will not be any closer than the gondolas in any ski resort station (due to the slow down, in the station they appear just like an omni-mover). Also, again just from my experience, you never need someone telling you which gondola to go in. The line moves so quick, that each party just gets into the gondola next in line after the one the party in front of them got in. Maybe Disney will do it differently, but if they did I do not think it will help that much with capacity (unless they are out to break records). These things move lines so quickly that I just imagine it would be a headache for a cast member to try to get counts and load them to capacity each time. It might actually backup the lines because the CM is still trying to do the math while an empty gondola goes by. I don't think Disney will be concerned that every seat is filled, moreover, people will be happier with this transportation if for nothing else, they will always be moving in line, and rather quickly too.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
From my experience with gondolas, FWIW, the gondolas in a Disney station will not be any closer than the gondolas in any ski resort station (due to the slow down, in the station they appear just like an omni-mover). Also, again just from my experience, you never need someone telling you which gondola to go in. The line moves so quick, that each party just gets into the gondola next in line after the one the party in front of them got in. Maybe Disney will do it differently, but if they did I do not think it will help that much with capacity (unless they are out to break records). These things move lines so quickly that I just imagine it would be a headache for a cast member to try to get counts and load them to capacity each time. It might actually backup the lines because the CM is still trying to do the math while an empty gondola goes by. I don't think Disney will be concerned that every seat is filled, moreover, people will be happier with this transportation if for nothing else, they will always be moving in line, and rather quickly too.

There are indications Disney is working towards very high capacity. From Lift Blog:

"Disney’s renderings also appear to show long terminals and dense cabin spacing, indicative of very high hourly capacity. Each Skyliner line is rumored to be in the 4,000-5000 pphpd range (the current world record for any lift is 4,500 for a 10-passenger D-line gondola in Soelden.)"

Ripken10

There are indications Disney is working towards very high capacity. From Lift Blog:

"Disney’s renderings also appear to show long terminals and dense cabin spacing, indicative of very high hourly capacity. Each Skyliner line is rumored to be in the 4,000-5000 pphpd range (the current world record for any lift is 4,500 for a 10-passenger D-line gondola in Soelden.)"
It will be high capacity, I agree with that. Doesn't change what I said. They are using design elements to make it a higher capacity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom