News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Brad Bishop

They must be French Swans.

View attachment 287925

While they are there, it's not quite fair because you compress the image when you zoom in. Take a shot of the MK as you approach on the ferry zoomed all the way out and it looks normal. Zoom all the way in and you can make the castle appear directly behind the train station.

It's not how people normally see it.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
While they are there, it's not quite fair because you compress the image when you zoom in. Take a shot of the MK as you approach on the ferry zoomed all the way out and it looks normal. Zoom all the way in and you can make the castle appear directly behind the train station.

How DARE YOU bring logic into this forum! :)

NobodyElse

Yes, here's (within 50 feet or so) roughly the same shot from Google Street View:
1528304927287.png

But to be fair, it seems like some shots of the gondola tower that have been presented are also using similar lens / distance techniques to that of the shot you quoted. (Perhaps we should have a special tag for un-cropped photos taken using a 50mm prime lens.)

Question for those locals in the know. Can that gondola tower be seen from anywhere in what would be considered "the France Section" of WS?

Ismael Flores

It is classic Michael Graves...Spectacular placemamking architecture...Maybe it was not the best location as far as sight lines, but the Swan and Dolphin are beautiful buildings.

I will have to check them out if i ever go back to WDW, I'm sure that from another angle they are probably beautiful. i guess i'm just spoiled after seeing some amazing buildings in my travels. The picture above just made it look uninspired

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
"Dated" is not a bad thing. All the art deco that people love is very dated. Roman columns are even more dated.

Now, within each period of style you have good examples and bad examples of that style. The 60's and 70's are having a revival at the moment with tomato soup red and avacodo green and molded rounded furniture. But tan shag carpet will always be horrendous.

NeedMoreMickey

It is classic Michael Graves...Spectacular placemamking architecture...Maybe it was not the best location as far as sight lines, but the Swan and Dolphin are beautiful buildings.
Only if you like that style of building. I probably would be ok with the buildings without the oversized swan & dolphin on top.

Lensman

Only if you like that style of building. I probably would be ok with the buildings without the oversized swan & dolphin on top.
Can we at least agree that they are fine examples of postmodern architecture? We don't all have to agree to like them in order to appreciate them as being architecturally significant, right?

In contrast to all the recent TWDC resorts which are merely derivative, or worse, simply functional. Sadly, they're no longer even charming, which the older resorts had going for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom