News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
The Doppelmayr gondola we will all see lots of next week in South Korea was built in under three months. Sounds like Disney is planning to open all its gondola lines together in mid 2019 after a longer construction period.

Since the CBR station is the hub, would it actually be possible to have one line up and running while cables are still being pulled on the others, or would the cable pulling be to intrusive an operation to do that?

CaptainAmerica

But Disney is the customer, so if they feel there is a benefit from setting a slower pace they will.
Whatever benefit there was, it's gone now. The new tax law creates significant incentive for business to spend capital quickly and get assets into service as soon as possible. For the next five years, capital expenditures can be expensed in full as soon as they're in service rather than depreciated over their useful lives. This basically allows businesses to shift their tax bill from current years to future years, which has real value due to the time-value of money. @MichWolv @ParentsOf4

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...-republican-tax-bill-promises-details/548603/

"This was an early fight between House Republican leaders who wanted to allow businesses to write off the full cost of new buildings and equipment as a way to stimulate growth, and others in the conservative movement who prioritized lowering the corporate rate as much as possible. In the end, businesses get full and immediate expensing, but the provision will begin to phase out after five years."

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Whatever benefit there was, it's gone now. The new tax law creates significant incentive for business to spend capital quickly and get assets into service as soon as possible. For the next five years, capital expenditures can be expensed in full as soon as they're in service rather than depreciated over their useful lives. This basically allows businesses to shift their tax bill from current years to future years, which has real value due to the time-value of money. @MichWolv @ParentsOf4

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...-republican-tax-bill-promises-details/548603/

"This was an early fight between House Republican leaders who wanted to allow businesses to write off the full cost of new buildings and equipment as a way to stimulate growth, and others in the conservative movement who prioritized lowering the corporate rate as much as possible. In the end, businesses get full and immediate expensing, but the provision will begin to phase out after five years."
Your understanding is the same as mine. The new tax law provides HUGE incentives to make capital expenditures in the next few years. It's one of the things that is fueling inflation fears, and those fears triggered the stock market correction.

Minthorne

Looks pretty standard. Will they paint them?

Makes me wonder.. would they camouflage these osmehow like these telecom towers near DAK which look like trees?

I had recommended a color scheme, but alas they didn't go with my idea....

latest

Sull1102

Back for some more! So if Dopp had their way and this was a normal lift installation I would be 100% confident it would be running in June 2018, obviously not happening here. I assume most of the terminal stations will not be the standard design Dopp and Poma use around the world. I'm guessing it'll be more like say Loon Mtn over in New Hampshire where the gondola station is actually integrated into the base lodge itself and you can see all the inner workings like the bullwheel etc. This would be where Disney can have their way as far as construction timeline. Dopp can't install anything if the plan is to have installed in an unbuilt building.

As for towers being painted, these things are repainted every few years, but some resorts will leave them without paint. My home ski area actually switched from green to black recently. Some places have also started to use wraps like cars to put temporary ads up, Hello Hulk tower?

Last edited:

trainplane3

Back for some more! So if Dopp had their way and this was a normal lift installation I would be 100% confident it would be running in June 2018, obviously not happening here. I assume most of the terminal stations will not be the standard design Dopp and Poma use around the world. I'm guessing it'll be more like say Loon Mtn over in New Hampshire where the gondola station is actually integrated into the base lodge itself and you can see all the inner workings like the bullwheel etc. This would be where Disney can have their way as far as construction timeline. Dopp can't install anything if the plan is to have installed in an unbuilt building.

As for towers being painted, these things are repainted every few years. My home ski area actually switched from green to black recently. Some places have also started to use wraps like cars to put temporary ads up, Hello Hulk tower?
From what we can tell, most of the stations will be the standard design with some theming tossed over it. See the IG and DHS stations:
$

$

Meanwhile, the hub looks unique:
$

The Pop station looks unique from the side:
dc2e97e6-35a2-48aa-92fe-51b7329aa2311.jpeg

But from above, it looks like a generic station sits inside with a very nice looking exterior wrapping around it:
070ba075-48f4-4bd5-8a84-7cec38b7d387.jpeg

No one, aside from the usual people on here, knows what the Riviera station will look like.

Pictures from Orlando Sentinel and @Lift Blog.com (I assume that's your site?)

cosmicgirl

I just noticed that the concept artist put the cable on the wrong side of the sheaves for the IG and DHS stations - more ima than gineer, that one.

JoeCamel

I just noticed that the concept artist put the cable on the wrong side of the sheaves for the IG and DHS stations - more ima than gineer, that one.
Those are the new Teflon sleeves they are trying out on this installation. Who says Disney isn't cutting edge?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Looks pretty standard. Will they paint them?

Makes me wonder.. would they camouflage these osmehow like these telecom towers near DAK which look like trees?
They're marketing it as transportation, not an attraction, so I don't expect camouflage. They'll likely keep it clean and painted if necessary to keep it looking clean and neat or protect it from the elements, but I doubt it'd be more than that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom