News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

SLUSHIE

Sheaves are the wheels the rope will roll on (actually pronounced more like Shiv, like the prison weapon).

The angle that some are talking about isn't going to stay. The 'sheaves' are on pivoting arms. If you look closely you will see that the whole assembly is on one big arm, and there there are 4 sheaves per 2nd arm, and then there are two sheaves per 3rd arm.

They are basically just drooping down like that because the rope isn't there putting tension on them. Once it is, it will be pretty level, and flex around when a cabin is rolling across it.

Here is an example of one getting installed where they are actually in opposite positions.
kingLUTSEN0915c2.jpg

Last edited:

Creathir

Dopp would not be putting those sheaves up if they aren't going to see a cabin for another year, those are parts that need to be maintained frequently and will start to fast if left just sitting there.
Doppelmayr station enclosures go up at ski areas almost as fast as towers. Everything is modular and an entire terminal structure can be assembled in a week or two. Then lots of wiring and adjusting.

With that in mind, is it possible we could see cable and gondolas on the Pop->CBR South Line in the next 6 months?

My guess is, the WDW priority is as follows:

Art/Pop->CBR South
CBR South -> HS
CBR South -> Epcot

If they can hurry up and get Art/Pop->CBR South & CBR South -> HS complete, they can help with loads from TSL and relieve that bus traffic.

This is pure speculation, but perhaps the goal is to have this operational by the opening of TSL...

Is that even possible or just completely way too optimistic?

Brian Swan

And remember that this is an outside company contracted to build the system that doesn't necessarily share the internal Disney model of stretching construction over as many quarters as feasibly possible. The motivation is to complete the project as efficiently as possible, not drag it out as long as possible. And if the project hits delays due to Disney's doing, there may well be a financial penalty that Disney would have to pay. I don't KNOW that this is the case for this project, but I've worked on enough contracted projects to know that this is not uncommon.

Creathir

Is this the setting ground work for replacing the monorail with the gondolas?
No.
Completely different system and the insiders have told us there are zero plans to expand the Skyliner system.

There IS however some other sort of system being looked at for other portions of the park, some have presumed it to be some sort of light rail or PRT (Personal Rapid Transit) system to connect Animal Kingdom to the overall transportation network, but that has not be confirmed by anyone.

Lift Blog

With that in mind, is it possible we could see cable and gondolas on the Pop->CBR South Line in the next 6 months?

Art/Pop->CBR South
CBR South -> HS
CBR South -> Epcot

If they can hurry up and get Art/Pop->CBR South & CBR South -> HS complete, they can help with loads from TSL and relieve that bus traffic.

This is pure speculation, but perhaps the goal is to have this operational by the opening of TSL...

The Doppelmayr gondola we will all see lots of next week in South Korea was built in under three months. Sounds like Disney is planning to open all its gondola lines together in mid 2019 after a longer construction period.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Art/Pop->CBR South
CBR South -> HS
CBR South -> Epcot

waaay to optimistic.

I’d expect to see gondolas going up in a year. But not running.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
And remember that this is an outside company contracted to build the system that doesn't necessarily share the internal Disney model of stretching construction over as many quarters as feasibly possible. The motivation is to complete the project as efficiently as possible, not drag it out as long as possible. And if the project hits delays due to Disney's doing, there may well be a financial penalty that Disney would have to pay. I don't KNOW that this is the case for this project, but I've worked on enough contracted projects to know that this is not uncommon.

But Disney is the customer, so if they feel there is a benefit from setting a slower pace they will. For example they could have one crew putting the towers up one by one, or get it done quicker by having multiple crews working at the same time, it will likely be Disney's call how it's done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom