News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

WDW1974

Another thought, @wdwmagic, but when major news like this is reported on this site, it might be nice if we had two threads, one with actual news, details, analysis etc. and another for people to respond whether they think it is an uber kewl thing or terrible.There have been 23 pages added here in about 16 hours and most people don't have time to wade through all of it.

P_Radden

Another thought, @wdwmagic, but when major news like this is reported on this site, it might be nice if we had two threads, one with actual news, details, analysis etc. and another for people to respond whether they think it is an uber kewl thing or it sucks more than a fanboi at an Imagineering party. There have been 23 pages added here in about 16 hours and most people don't have time to wade through all of it.
I've always felt this site has great threads about WDW construction projects, but the problem is having to read through 100s of pages to get scraps of info. We would all benefit from the OPs if all the major construction threads were being constantly updated with the most current facts buried deep within the threads.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I've always felt this site has great threads about WDW construction projects, but the problem is having to read through 100s of pages to get scraps of info. We would all benefit from the OPs if all the major construction threads were being constantly updated with the most current facts buried deep within the threads.
The first post of a thread can always become a Table of Contents....

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Article from Orlando Sentinel:

"Plans filed with the state have generated speculation that Walt Disney World is planning a cable car system on its property.

Rumors have circulated about such a project for months.

Reedy Creek Improvement District, the Disney-controlled government agency, submitted plans to the South Florida Water Management District this week for work associated with various improvements. The plans are vague, but they do show buildings – including one with a V shape – that are elevated 100 feet. The details are leading some to conclude the project could be paving the way for a gondola lift linking some of the theme parks and other areas.

Such systems have been built in other parts of the world. Experts say cable cars would shuttle tourists around in a cost-effective, fun way."

This 100 feet number is not really accurate. The building is labeled FFE (Finished Floor Height) of 100, but checking with @Tom our former permit guy he explained that this is just a relative height in relation to other heights on the plan so doesn't really tell you anything about how tall the building is.

seascape

I cannot imagine any scenarios where the property owners of Bonnet Creek would allow this to pass over that property. That land is not owned by Disney or RCID so they have no control over it. If such a system was to expand to DS it wouldn't be too hard to route around that property though
I think Bonnet Creek would love it to cross their property in exchange for a stop. As a wyndham owner and DVC owner I know I would.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I think Bonnet Creek would love it to cross their property in exchange for a stop. As a wyndham owner and DVC owner I know I would.

I guess everything is possible but I'm thinking back to the many, many years in court Disney spent trying to prevent that land from being developed at all. They ultimately lost but it was a long legal battle. It's certainly possible but hard to believe the landowner would make it easy for them.

WDW1974

It gets beyond frustrating. About 85% of posts wind up being either reaction posts of the strictly "love it" or "hate it" variety or people going off on tangents like a discussion on the Pandora addition winds up being one on the merits of the film and how much money it made etc. The news here is the new transport system that Disney is planning, while some speculation is expected, having to wade through posts of people simply offering opinions is tedious. Those opinions absolutely matter and deserve to be heard, I'm just not sure it is in the same thread.

And so this post doesn't go off-topic, my feeling on this new added 'benefit' of staying in that resort area (new DVC, CBR, POP, AoA) is one of the reasons Disney has been planning (this goes back at least 3-4 years, maybe more) of dropping the 'value', 'moderate', 'deluxe' categories for accommodations versus charging by an area. I don't know if this is part of it, but making an educated guess that this area may become more popular (and pricey) based on having this unique connection option.

P_Radden

It gets beyond frustrating. About 85% of posts wind up being either reaction posts of the strictly "love it" or "hate it" variety or people going off on tangents like a discussion on the Pandora addition winds up being one on the merits of the film and how much money it made etc. The news here is the new transport system that Disney is planning, while some speculation is expected, having to wade through posts of people simply offering opinions is tedious. Those opinions absolutely matter and deserve to be heard, I'm just not sure it is in the same thread.

And so this post doesn't go off-topic, my feeling on this new added 'benefit' of staying in that resort area (new DVC, CBR, POP, AoA) is one of the reasons Disney has been planning (this goes back at least 3-4 years, maybe more) of dropping the 'value', 'moderate', 'deluxe' categories for accommodations versus charging by an area. I don't know if this is part of it, but making an educated guess that this area may become more popular (and pricey) based on having this unique connection option.
Yep. It's all about the overall big picture, long-term. Combine what you just said with a possible new resort at BV and VW corner, that is a big master plan...
975.png

lazyboy97o

I don't know if this has been asked...

When would we see that Disney has a contract with whoever is supplying the gondolas/system?
Last year. Disney's concepts are often very detailed.

Your route takes it over the Bonnet Creek Resort, would Disney do that? Can they do that? Where are the property lines in that area?

Is there anything in the Disney Springs construction plans that can be any help? Either a spot that was marked but not explained, or a blank space that makes someone ask, "why is that blank?"
It's not going to Disney Springs.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No debate there...not new tecnology........but...........high speed, high capacity...........intricate by pass for loading and unloading...swamp, Disney look............EXPENSIVE!..................again maybe close to monorail costs

But with the units having switchable cars for loading it can be much more efficient as once a monorail stops for loading everything behind it stops. With the switchibg gondola cars can be dispatched when full with no interruption to cars ahead or behind.

Much more efficient and shares the random dispatch feature with buses

TeriofTerror

@marni1971 - This puts me in mind of something you said recently regarding changes that could be coming to several resorts across property. Are they related?
Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom