News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

EvilChameleon

I just can't wait until they film a remake of Moonraker and do the gondola scene at Disney World.

Just keep this guy away from the cables.

314753E4C314EFC8433EECC7F9E3E4.jpg

hopemax

Well never have I seen such universally positive excitement on the forums over a WDW project since... ??? Good times :)

There was a lot, the day we could really believe the billions of dollars that were heading WDW's way, including Star Wars land. Time and project details may have tempered the enthusiasm since. But that first day the volume of "It's Happening!!!" memes were pretty high.

Clamman73

I don't know if this has been asked...

When would we see that Disney has a contract with whoever is supplying the gondolas/system?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
@danlb_2000 , you've done great work, as always, ferreting out useful permits. I was wondering, if, as the original thread creator, you would add back the missing t in the thread title? Given how many sites are coming here to crib the scoops, we're likely to see mention of "transporation" systems throughout cyberspace otherwise. :)

Good way to ferret out people who are blatantly stealing our content. ;)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yeah, I get the scenario where two different routes meet (each with in/out cables) though Marni seemed to be implying that there would be quite the physical separation between load/unload locations.

Have you found a working example where 3 lines come together and can be transferred from one to the other?
Or maybe just one where 2 lines together, and one cabin could "make a u-turn" rather than passing onto the next segment?
Medellin's does this, I believe...where the J and L spurs meet the K main line...but, I'm having trouble finding a nice diagram of it.

Here's one:

p101_1_00.jpg

Note that term. "Urban Ropeways Detachable"...that seems to be the actual term that the civic planners are leaning to instead of "Gondola system", so that can help some googling.

I am far from an expert on this, but it's been some fun reading along the way!

I'll keep going, but another technology I'm running across that is a bit newer are cars which have top and bottom hooks (that's the term they are using), which allows the car, when in the station, to use a "track" basically to free itself to roam however around the station as needed (following switch "tracked" paths...think Peoplemover, in that respect, but independent units, not tied to a long chain in an omnimover style).

Is that what they would use? I dunno, I don't think so. Tried and true systems seem to have already dealt with these issues, so there's no need for Disney to go for something that hasn't already had a proven application in some other city.

I'll keep googling later tonight, this is fun!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom