News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Great news to hear! While I don't have time to read through 29 pages, I have one question, and i'm sorry if this has already been addressed. Is there any possibility of this ever being expanded to include DAK? It would make sense down the road to do this, as it would finally connect all four parks. MK to EPCOT via monorail, EPCOT to DHS via gondola, and DHS or EPCOT to DAK via gondola.

If this works well they may expand it everywhere - time will tell (and so will the $'s)

hopemax

For those discussing a futre connection to Disney Springs from the new T&TC2 at CBR..
This is how I could see it going. This path is almost the shortest path possible, and features a great view of TL. The only question is (and I know this aerial from Bing is old) where will the DS station go? I've left that off for now..

Here is a blank if anyone else wants to have a go at this section of the sky way gondola:

Your route takes it over the Bonnet Creek Resort, would Disney do that? Can they do that? Where are the property lines in that area?

Is there anything in the Disney Springs construction plans that can be any help? Either a spot that was marked but not explained, or a blank space that makes someone ask, "why is that blank?"

Thebolt

For those discussing a futre connection to Disney Springs from the new T&TC2 at CBR..

This is how I could see it going. This path is almost the shortest path possible, and features a great view of TL. The only question is (and I know this aerial from Bing is old) where will the DS station go? I've left that off for now..

The idea of a seperate North/South Boardwalk line, and an East/West Springs line, with an interchange station at CBR makes more sense than complex route options.

If Disney were not planning this, they should now start looking at the idea.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Your route takes it over the Bonnet Creek Resort, would Disney do that? Can they do that? Where are the property lines in that area?

Is there anything in the Disney Springs construction plans that can be any help? Either a spot that was marked but not explained, or a blank space that makes someone ask, "why is that blank?"
I'd imagine they'd just go to the north a bit...

bonnet_map.jpg

Pretty sure dark purple backing is the Disney Property, white is not.

raymusiccity

bonnet_map.jpg

Article from Orlando Sentinel:

New cable car system at Disney World? Plans raise the possibility
Sandra PediciniContact ReporterOrlando Sentinel

Feb. 15, 2017

"Plans filed with the state have generated speculation that Walt Disney World is planning a cable car system on its property.

Rumors have circulated about such a project for months.

Reedy Creek Improvement District, the Disney-controlled government agency, submitted plans to the South Florida Water Management District this week for work associated with various improvements. The plans are vague, but they do show buildings – including one with a V shape – that are elevated 100 feet. The details are leading some to conclude the project could be paving the way for a gondola lift linking some of the theme parks and other areas.

Such systems have been built in other parts of the world. Experts say cable cars would shuttle tourists around in a cost-effective, fun way."

“At any given time, we have numerous projects in various stages of development across our resort,” the company said in an emailed statement. “If a project moves forward, we will share details when it makes sense to do so for our business.”

According to the plans, work will take place in spots including south of Epcot and Disney’s BoardWalk and east of the Hollywood Studios theme park.

Both Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios are getting overhauls. A Star Wars land is set to open in 2019 at Hollywood Studios. Disney executives have said they plan big changes to Epcot, too, though they have not revealed what those will be.

Theme park fans on the WDWMagic.com website who saw the permits theorized the work could be for the rumored gondola lift.

Their idea makes sense to Dennis Speigel, a theme park consultant whose firm recently worked on a project that included cable cars.

“What we think it is is a gondola ride, a cable car,” Speigel said after inspecting the plans. “It makes sense.”

Speigel found the buildings’ locations and elevations particularly interesting. He also found the V shape of one building intriguing.

Buildings associated with other cable car projects have had similar features, Speigel said.

Also, he said, “they’re doing a fill-over the swamp area. That’s where we think they would be putting the free-span poles.”

Speigel’s company, International Theme Park Services, designed a project in Vietnam that includes a cable car ride across Ha Long Bay.

Speigel said gondola lifts are “the way things are going now.”

Also, he said, “it’s overhead, doesn’t take up land. You can still build around, underneath.” And, “a gondola’s a ride, an attraction. It’s conveyance, but it’s fun conveyance.”

Duncan Dickson, a former Disney executive, said a cable car system would be cheaper than expanding the monorail system. “Anything you can do to get people off the roads is probably pretty intelligent,” he said.

Patrick Radden, a construction project manager in Lexington, Ky., and a Disney fan, has analyzed the plans along with another frequent contributor to the WDWMagic site.

The two also looked at structures from other Reedy Creek permits and reached the conclusion Disney appears to be planning a cable car or gondola system.

“We started noticing these odd structures being on these permits,” Radden said.“When we overlaid them onto maps we started noticing they connect on straight lines.”

Radden said others on the site had talked about a gondola system, and “we took that and basically ran with it, put two and two together.”

Reedy Creek District Administrator John Classe said the permit filed this week was a joint one between his agency and The Walt Disney Co.

Classe said he had no information on what the buildings depicted on the permit would be.

Disney has not spoken with him about any new transportation system, he said. “I only know when they submit applications to us,” he said.

An engineering company that works on a variety of projects including transportation-related ones, Atkins North America, worked with Disney on the plans. Locally, Atkins has done work for the Central Florida Expressway Authority.

Disney has also been working on a series of road transportation projects to prepare for more traffic from its expansion.

spedicini@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5240; Twitter @SandraPedicini

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member

I cannot imagine any scenarios where the property owners of Bonnet Creek would allow this to pass over that property. That land is not owned by Disney or RCID so they have no control over it. If such a system was to expand to DS it wouldn't be too hard to route around that property though

Last edited:

roj2323

Well never have I seen such universally positive excitement on the forums over a WDW project since... ??? Good times :)

Just goes to show how badly a new transportation system has been needed. Besides, now we get gondola resorts like we have monorail resorts.

----------------------------------------
Personally I still think the idea is ridiculous but I can see the appeal from a cost and ease of implementation perspective. Visually however I worry it's going to be obtrusive.

Danl522

It's amazing how many people want to point out why this can't possibly work, and won't entertain the possibility of finding a solution to the problem. If this project is far enough along, don't you think that all these issues and dozens more have been thought of, and dealt with? The people in charge of the project are presumably far more expert in this field than anyone saying nay on this thread. :rolleyes:

WDW1974

No, haven't read the 30 pages, just skimmed a lot of happy posts.

I first want to thank @danlb_2000 for noticing this and putting two and two together and getting four (Kellyanne says it might be 7). I wonder with Disney's apparent desire to attack online leaks of real news (and this is already in the Sentinel, although I have a hard time calling Soup & Salad Sandra a real reporter) if you now have a target on your chest.

I don't want to sound like an echo chamber, but this, indeed, is the plan to some extent. In other words, the main idea is right, some of the details may well be off some.

It would help tremendously if someone could ID the contractor they've hired to build this. Then a lot of things would fall into place.

My thoughts are that it is interesting and the absolute cheapest way Disney could do something ... anything to go after its transport issue without simply adding more buses. Personally, some combo of monorail, light rail, Peoplemover all are vastly more appealing.

I don't think weather will be a concern. Today's tech has to operate in all conditions. I still wouldn't want to be riding in a typical Central Florida thunderstorm, however. ... And loading ECVs and wheelchairs and double-wide strollers can be done, but it will affect the system. No way around that.

I'm intrigued by it. And anything that isn't a bus certainly deserves praise. But I want details, not simply endless speculation. I don't see Disney announcing this near term, even with the cat out of the bag.

I do wonder how this fits in with chatter that the EPCOT entrance resort is back on as non-DVC, but with more DVC in the area. Or that half of Coronado is going away for a DVC tower and larger convention center to make up ... for the loss of Contemporary's and ... lots of 'infrastructure' projects apparently in the pipeline (only a few decades too late, but ...)

seascape

If they continue past the world gateway entrance couldn't it connect to the epcot monorail station, thus making it easy to get to MK?

P_Radden

bonnet_map.jpg

I cannot imagine any scenarios where the property owners of Bonnet Creek would allow this to pass over that property. That land is not owned by Disney or RCID so they have no control over it.

Well then, these other smaller random structures circled in red (on the east side of CBR) are now more interesting aren't they...
upload_2017-1-18_10-7-27.png

If they must stay on property; connecting from the T&TC2 they have to go east across the lake then north through CBR, then cut NE to Disney springs. The other possibility is now that big building going in the north area at CBR...

donsullivan

Premium Member
Well then, these other smaller random structures circled in red (on the east side of CBR) are now more interesting aren't they...
View attachment 189832

If they have to stay on property, they they have to go across the lake then north through CBR then cut NE to Disney springs:

They could certainly get there from that area, they would just have to go around the Bonnet Creek property and they'd be fine. It might add one jog to the route instead of a straight line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom