News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Wheelchairs! Strollers! Children! Doppelmayr's Italian competitor recently completed this system in Berlin which showcases modern gondola design in a non-ski setting. Lots of similarities with what I envision the Skyliner system to look like.

Now, if WDW will just put in laser guns like on Buzz Lightyear, they could turn the gondola transport system into a fast-paced, family-friendly first-person-shooter attraction!

Club34

Those people you show have their stuff together, it won't look like that at Disney. LOL. Two 350 pound women with a Turkey legs in hand who will have the common sense of a 5 year old. The confusion then the complaining about Disney not being handicapped friendly.

Hope you don't end up in with that group a head of you.

i wouldn't say getting jammed up will never happen but remember this...these contraptions are usually used in ski areas where you have a lot of heavy, bulky, awkward equipment AND you are a wearing frankenstein boots [read: ski boots] and somehow its generally smooth and everyone gets in and out without issue. this is not new tech and they know what they are doing. i am worried about the ventilation but i am sure they have thought it through. there should be no worry about the capacity and such. it will be fine. will there be lines in the morning? yes. but then you haven't known hell until you have to watch a full MK bus pull away from your hotel without you. the gondolas just keep spinning. no left out feeling.

on the cost subject, perhaps that includes the theming and infrastructure costs. ski hills don't have to do much prep. there is literally zero theme since it gets covered in snow and the infrastructure has me thinking. ski hills are usually drilling into rock but orlando is swamp. is there going to be extra work/planning required to deal with the swamp factor of this build? i think that could be a thing. anyone?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Wheelchairs! Strollers! Children! Doppelmayr's Italian competitor recently completed this system in Berlin which showcases modern gondola design in a non-ski setting. Lots of similarities with what I envision the Skyliner system to look like.

Will the German techno-trance music be that loud in the Disney gondolas?

Jordanaous

If disney was smarter they shoulda built the Epcot monorail station in the Epcot resort area, would of connected The beach club, The Yacht club, The Boardwalk, The swan, the Dolphin, as well as the International gateway entrance to the TTC.

And then you could take the Disney skyliner to Hollywood studios.

It's sad to see that the Epcot monorail line was never really used to its full potential like having hotels on its line. :cry:

Problem with that is Epcot's Monorail extension was opened in 1982, eight years before Yacht/Beach Club, Swolphin and the International Gateway entrance...

Hindsight is always 2020, but at the opening of Epcot, there was only one entrance - so the natural place for the monorail was right at the entrance.

Creathir

Problem with that is Epcot's Monorail extension was opened in 1982, eight years before Yacht/Beach Club, Swolphin and the International Gateway entrance...

Hindsight is always 2020, but at the opening of Epcot, there was only one entrance - so the natural place for the monorail was right at the entrance.
They could have extended the loop around Future World, and instead made it an elongated curve towards the East.

For that matter, they still could do this, though likely won't.

Jordanaous

They could have extended the loop around Future World, and instead made it an elongated curve towards the East.

For that matter, they still could do this, though likely won't.

Oh they definitely could have done that when the built the entrance in 1990. But at that point, they had just spent millions extending the monorail to Epcot, and built all the infrastructure for it just eight years prior.

The benefit would have been those staying at the new resorts could get to the Magic Kingdom quickly with a single change, but those resorts were seen as having walking proximity to Epcot, and Friendship Boat services to MGM Studios which opened just one year prior to the International Gateway. Those at Disney will have probably said, 'Those are enough benefits for those in that resort, if they want to get MK they can get the bus or walk through Epcot to get to the monorail'.

At the end of the day, I'd argue that the Epcot resorts get the best deal in terms of proximity to the parks. They're wedged between both HS and Epcot, and it's relatively quick to get to either. Anyone at Disney would have little incentive to make such a huge investment to improve transport for the resorts with the best location...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

There were plans to extend the monorail through the Epcot resort area to DHS.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I am very familiar with how all skiing transportation works. Skiers know how to get around lifts with their equipment and as stated 30 pages ago skiers are in better shape in general then the Disney crowd. Better looking too.

Doesn't apply to Gondolas but always remember to keep your ski tips up on exiting the lift.

But as @Lift Blog has pointed out, ski area gondolas also get used a lot by non-skiers in the summer months.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's sad to see that the Epcot monorail line was never really used to its full potential like having hotels on its line. :cry:

For now...

Rumor is of at least one hotel to be build at Epcot's main entrance. Wonder if they'll try to hook them up with perhaps an elevated walkway to the monorail.

Also... self driving vehicles are coming...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
For now...

Rumor is of at least one hotel to be build at Epcot's main entrance. Wonder if they'll try to hook them up with perhaps an elevated walkway to the monorail.

Also... self driving vehicles are coming...
The Epcot main entrance could look very different within a decade.

Note I said could. I know of 3 northern locations outside of the park for a proposed hotel.

And if someone as insignificant as I am knows that then you can bet there's more.

Kamikaze

Note I said could. I know of 3 northern locations outside of the park for a proposed hotel.

And if someone as insignificant as I am knows that then you can bet there's more.

Wut.

Martin, no foolin', you're probably the most knowledgeable person in the world on WDW/Disney parks that doesn't work for TWDC. And I'm not talking about just having inside sources/info.

chiefs11

The most expensive I can find is the Skyeship at Mt Killington. $15m for about 2.25 miles. I've been on it. Its huge. And amazing.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/K...77190f801fa87c0!8m2!3d43.614345!4d-72.7567692

Its not like a normal lift where you are at the ski lodge and go up to the top - this is at a parking lot just to get you up the mountain to where the lodge/resort is.

Peak to Peak at Whistler-Blackcomb cost $52m. Obviously thats an entirely different monster.

The Skyeship also has a mid-load station, just like the Disney one will have at the Riviera resort.

The old Killington gondola had 2 mid stations along the 3.5 mile trip from the base to Killington peak, for a total of 4 stations on one line. One was at Skye peak before it went over to Killington peak, this section was removed when they put in the new Skyeship.

monothingie

Official Lowerer of $DIS stock price
Premium Member

I thought the vacancy rate and diminishing inventories of non DVC's didn't support this. Unless underperforming hotels are going to be shuttered. Then again if it's all DVC then...

trainplane3

I've thought about a Epcot hotel. Something that goes back to Walt's Epcot Center hotel/skyscraper that sat in the middle of his concept. That could integrate well with the entrance if they try hard enough, right? But the issue would be sitelines since (personally) I wouldn't want to see some 10 story hotel sitting next to Epcots entrance. Almost like a mini Epcot Center concept city that encompasses the entrance to Epcot. I think it could almost be tasteful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom